95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
when spring comes im gonna start my sas on my 91

i look through this these threads so many time looking for anwsers to my question but i can not find any,

i want a axle that i will not have to narrow,
i want coil springs
im only going to run 35's
what axle should i get?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep searching, all of your answers are out there.
-The Dana 30 is the correct width and is also the same bolt pattern as the 8.8".
-The Dana 44 from an Early Bronco (1966-77) is stronger than the Dana 30, but is low pinion. It also is the correct width, but the bolt pattern is not the same as the 8.8".
-The Dana 44 from the bigger bronco's (1978-79) is high pinion (better than low pinion) but needs to be cut down ~6" and is not the same bolt pattern as 8.8".

I used the D44 from an early bronco, and the width is great, but like said above, its a low pinion, but it doesn't bother me too much.

i'll get you my list and my prices tomorrow when i can find the list i have made.

I'll be following up on this thread as well...

I just broke my ring and pinion on my d35 ttb wheeling yesterday and contemplating on whether going for SAS now or just re-gearing. Trying to figure out the costs and everything. I know ultimately going SAS is the better way to go but funds is kinda low now, so I'm just checking my options.

I wouldn't mind going SAS, but only the cheapest way possible without hurting quality!

subscribing for a complete list...probably a year out though...

:eek: Oh boy :eek:

:confused: I'm in trouble now :confused:

-5.5'' lift EB springs
-Radius arms
-Track bar
-C-bushings
-Ring and pinion-because it's never low enough
-Shocks
-Shock mounts
-Spring buckets.........
The list is long and it is ALWAYS twice as expensive as you think it will be

Thanks Bmx

:D This is what I was looking for. I've been searching for about half an hour and came up with vey little as far as what I wanted to know! I just looked at the first thread and I knew that I could find most of my answers from there. Thanks!

LOOKS LIKE A SAS IS IN MY FUTURE!!!

i have been doing a lot of thinking, do i really need a sas, i offroad once every 2 weeks, where i go there is mud, hillclimbs, few rocks, and lots of water. this explorer is my daily driver so it sees a lot of pavement.

do you guys think i need a sas?

will my stock front axle handle 35's?

It depends on what you think you'll do in the future. I am slowly trying to go to tougher trails as I build my truck. I would like to run Tellico and have 35s eventually, but now have 3.27 gears. The reason I want to do a SAS is because I want something that will be really tough, since it will be my DD for at least another few years and I wouldn't be able to be replacing parts constantly(or want to spend all of the $$ on new parts). I also don't think it would be worth it to spend the money on the Class II 6" Skyjacker and then regear to 4.56s or 4.88s and add a locker to the Dana 35. If you have lower gears and are locked in the front, you are much more likely to break parts than stock.

So basically, what do you see yourself using your truck for over the next few years??

I have found my list. I am probably missing some items, but this will give you a good idea. Hope it helps.

Dana 30 HP Axle from a 91 YJ - $50
F-250 Shock Towers - $30
SOA Perches - $32
Leaf Spring Hangers (Compliments of NOTAJP) - $185
Leaf Springs 2.5" Pro Comps (Going with Rancho 44044=$270) - $160
Gears (4.56's RR) - $185
Carrier - $25
Install Kit -$90
M.O.R.E Crossover Steering - $420
Posi-Lok to replace Vacuum Shift - $60
Boomerang Shackles - $71
James Duff Long Travel Shocks - $90
Leaf Spring Bushing Kit - $30
Alignment - $50
Nuts, Bolts, Etc... - $50
Driveshaft Lengthened - still need to get this fixed

Grand Total - $1528 and some change (this is without the lengthening of the DS, I'm figuring around another $100)

Forget the dana 30 and the MORE steering and get yo self a Dana 44 from a 78-79 bronc. Don't let the junkyard guy screw you. make him give you everything from the truck, ie, steering, track bar, radius arms, springs, buckets, RA mounts.

I got the whole deal for 3 bills, just keep looking and going to the junkyards, there is good stuff in there.

Does anyone know if therer is a certain year of F-250 shock tower I'd need?

Are they all the same though? I am looking to buy them from someone off the board, but they're offline now. So I was just wondering if there was a specific year I needed.

don't think so...just F-250 shock towers

Swee294349 said:
don't think so...just F-250 shock towers
Ok thanks, then I guess I will start collecting my parts :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

right on...let us know how it goes.

Back