• Register Today It's free!

Stroker motor

5.0 POWER

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer
I was trying to figure out wether or not an 81 mustang 302 motor would just bolt into my 5.0 expo???? Me and my brother found a motor and are questioning to wether or not it will be able to just bolt right in. The motor is already bored to a 306 and will come with a set of HO heads. I wanted to put a e303 cam, new lifters, 1.6 roller rockers, 1" phenolic spacer, and maybe an aftermarket intake manifold. Any problems i might run into??? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your GT-40 5.0L is likely a better power plant then the HO motor
the GT-40 is a full roller motor from Ford

Yes you can use that 5.0L HO block if you realy wanted to, you will need all the accessories, brackets, intakes, sensors, oil pan, etc from your GT-40 5.0L

There are better cams for your Explorer then the E-303
The E cam is also a roller cam and I dont believe the HO motor is a roller

nope-it isn't
Ford went to rollers in 86 I believe

Also-a 306 is NOT a stroker engine--FYI

It is merely an over-bored engine--with stock 3" stroke and rods--

Sorry if i didn't explain my intentions enough. I know that a 306 motor is not a stroker motor, but it has the bore to be one. i forgot to put in the crankshaft and rods in the plans. The block is from an 81 truck(another mistake i had made) 5.0l and i intend to put HO heads on the block(not a HO BLOCK). how much work would it be to convert to a full roller motor??? I am not trying to cripple my expo for a month or so. The seller also has a FI 302 motor. This is the sellers add.................. "1 FI 302 AND 1 81 302 BOTH TRUCK MOTORS. THE FI HAS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, THE 81 IS BORED 30 OVER BUT HAS A CRACKED HEAD. DO HAVE A SET OF VEARY CLEAN HO HEADS, AND A HOLE TOP SELF ACROSS GRAGE FULL OF PARTS. $300 WILL TAKE IT ALL. "................. just trying to see wether or not this is worth it to put a little more power in my expo.

Sorry if i didn't explain my intentions enough. I know that a 306 motor is not a stroker motor, but it has the bore to be one. i forgot to put in the crankshaft and rods in the plans. The block is from an 81 truck(another mistake i had made) 5.0l and i intend to put HO heads on the block(not a HO BLOCK). how much work would it be to convert to a full roller motor??? I am not trying to cripple my expo for a month or so. The seller also has a FI 302 motor. This is the sellers add.................. "1 FI 302 AND 1 81 302 BOTH TRUCK MOTORS. THE FI HAS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, THE 81 IS BORED 30 OVER BUT HAS A CRACKED HEAD. DO HAVE A SET OF VEARY CLEAN HO HEADS, AND A HOLE TOP SELF ACROSS GRAGE FULL OF PARTS. $300 WILL TAKE IT ALL. "................. just trying to see wether or not this is worth it to put a little more power in my expo.

Ok When you're buying an engine like something that has a cracked head that ussaly means the engine was overheating a whole lot and there was warping going on. When you buy a engine that says blown head gasket that ussaly means thats what they think it is... ussaly blown head gasket and needs rings and cylinders are scratched to hell.
i'll tell you're gonna have to dump money into both of them at the machine shop and lots of it probaily. the gt40 heads on your 5.0 now are awsome BTW and probaily better

So you think i should just put my explorer under the table and do without it for a week or so while i do most of the other mods i was planing to do? 1.6 rr's, e303 cam, 1" spacer, lifters, and new intake manifold(both upper and lower***any suggestions)

So you think i should just put my explorer under the table and do without it for a week or so while i do most of the other mods i was planing to do? 1.6 rr's, e303 cam, 1" spacer, lifters, and new intake manifold(both upper and lower***any suggestions)

I really think our 5.0 is a really good engine its more advanced then the older engines, but thats the way it works. the 4.6 has more power then the 5.0 because of the way its built but thats how it should go, things should get better, stronger, faster, and more economical as more research is put into this stuff.
I think you could take one of those engines and sink a bunch of money into it and have a good engine and be just as reliable. But i think you could take the engine you have, and clean it up invest alot less money into it and make the same if not more power plus not have the hassle of having to retrofit everything and figure it all out.

So if you want my oppion i think it would be a bad move to go back to a outdated motor when you got a good one allready. if you work really hard invest some time in it and do things right the first time maybe pull some strings at the machine shop. it shouldn't take more then a week to pull it out clean it up toss in some new parts and have it back on the road

exactly

If you want to build a short block to use with your explorer timing cover and front dress, GT-40 heads, exhaust manifolds, and GT-40 intakes you can do that but the HO block is not the one to start with

You can get a GT-40 block or non overheated builder block for less then $300 that would have had the overheated issues to begin with.

The 5.0L in the explorer is the best 5.0L ford put into production cars, its not far from being a late model Cobra V8 just with a cam, front dress, oil pan, etc to fit the Explorer chasis

If you want to build a short block to use with your explorer timing cover and front dress

So the timing chain cover is different on an Explorer/Moutaineer?

Glad I saw this. I'm planing buying am FMS 347 stroker short block & was going to buy a new Mustang 5.0 t-chain cover.

I want the new engine to be complete so I can cut down on the time to swap engines.

The only other stock 302 blocks worth building to swap into a 302 Explorer, are the EECIV Mustang 302's, and a few years there of F150 engines that had roller cams. All should be dirt cheap now, under $200 or less.

I bought a spare Explorer 302 over three years ago for $550, complete. A used Explorer 302 should be the one to look for, the many exterior parts are worth good money, and as spares.

Dan, everything outside of the Explorer 302 longblock is different from a Mustang, I think that the flexplate is balanced the same though. Regards,

yes the entire front dress is different on the explorer, where it meets the oil pan the timing cover and water pump are very different from even the serpentine belt mustangs

the good news is the factory explorer water pump is already a high output/volume unit.

yes the entire front dress is different on the explorer, where it meets the oil pan the timing cover and water pump are very different from even the serpentine belt mustangs

the good news is the factory explorer water pump is already a high output/volume unit.

I'll hit ped5stang up in a few months then. The stroker is a winter project.

The FMS 347 short block is $3100 from Summit Racing & is all internally forged.

Dan, keep an eye on the strokers that DSS builds, and the few other well known builders.

Back