28 Oz Balancer for 5.0L Stroker kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

28 Oz Balancer for 5.0L Stroker kit

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0

I am currently planning on doing a stroker kit for my 98 Explorer 5.0L.

I have read several threads in regards to 50 Oz balance, which the Explorers originally came with and 28 Oz balance.

While doing an Internet search for parts I ran across a company in Anderson, CA which specializes in custom harmonic balancers.

Can anyone provide postive or negative feedback on these guys?

The modified balancer looks good I just wanted to know if anyone has tried them before.

Please see attached link for product # FO3024EX28OZ.

http://www.damperdudes.net//product_info.php?products_id=224&osCsid=5a3f0698c8777a3434e44de20f59a0f1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems expensive

Nice find! You can get a new 50 oz Dorman harmonic balancer on eBay for $62 plus shipping. The one modified for 28 oz one for $172 plus shipping. That means they're charging $110 to drill the three holes. I suspect a local automotive machine shop could drill your existing balancer for the same price saving you the cost of the new balancer and shipping. They might even balance the entire rotating assembly for that.

You'll still need to purchase a 28 oz flexplate for the other end of the crankshaft.

I'm currently working that end, flex plate, with Eagle Speciality now.

I work at an industrial machine shop \ manufacturing facility.

Key question is: How much material to remove from the existing holes to get 28 Oz. balance?

Looking at the picture it's hard to tell.

$110 is expensive but saves me time on the lathe and Bridgeport Mill trying to fabricate my own pully set up and EDIS trigger wheel.

Going to talk to the turboshop guys tonight to see if we can make a set adapters for one of our high speed digital balancers to try it our selves.

It has been done before....check with CDW....he has done it on a 347 stroker he was working on. Come to think of it, I think he did it 2x. The 2nd time it was done was a bit cheaper than the 1st time, from a different source.

But I could be wrong...

Ryan

Yes I read that thread a while back.

Everything I found kind of indicates it's hard to find the 94-95 Mustang pulleys needed.

He had a shop do his for about $275???. Built up from extra parts.

I talked to one of the turbo guys on the night shift. He said the Schneck turbocharger balancer should do the job. We just have to make adapters. Program needs to be modified. It's now set for zero balance for turbo wheels.

One of the guys even did a crankshaft for his Harley on it.

If I can get it to work I could post dimensions.

28 oz-in is total?

I suspect the 28 oz-in external balance is the total after adding the flexplate external to the balancer external. I suggest borrowing a Mustang 28 oz balancer for comparison before drilling the Explorer 50 oz balancer.

There is quite a bit of difference between the 5.0 and the 5.8 balancers. Its not just a matter of drilling 3 holes. Heres some pics of a 28oz balancer from a 96 351. In the 2nd pic you can see how much less material is on the back side of the balancer. On a 28oz balancer the wieght is about 1/3 of the way around the diameter. On a 50oz, its about 2/3s.

picture.php

picture.php

If anyone has some pics of a 5.0 balancer, post them so we can compare.

5.0L balancer

I found these photos of a 5.0L balancer on eBay
00Bal5.0L.jpg

56fbd20e49.jpg

You can see that snoranger is correct about the counterweight extending about 2/3 of the circumference

Here are some photos of a 1994 F150 balancer
Bal94F150L2.jpg

showing the counterweight extending only 1/3 of the circumference

That makes sense. We are dealing with a rotating mass. 28 Oz. would have a smaller weighted area than a 50 Oz. Weight all the way around should give us zero.

All the modified unit did was drill holes on the opposite side of the weighted area on the modifed 50 Oz. factory unit to offset the spinning force.

Key question is how much? The Dorman replacements a cheap. If I could get it to chuck up in our balancer it looks like time to do some test runs.

Or perhaps a junk yard factory unit.

If you can find the balancer I posted pics of, you can just press the 4 tooth wheel off and press a 36-1 wheel on.(In the right location, of coarse.) That will give you a 28oz balancer set up for a 351 or a 347 stroker for DIS. The part number is F6TZ-6312-JA.

94 or 95 Cobra pulley

If you can find the balancer I posted pics of, you can just press the 4 tooth wheel off and press a 36-1 wheel on.(In the right location, of coarse.) That will give you a 28oz balancer set up for a 351 or a 347 stroker for DIS. The part number is F6TZ-6312-JA.

You would still have to find a 1994 or 1995 Cobra stock pulley to bolt to the balancer. Those are very hard to find.

You would still have to find a 1994 or 1995 Cobra stock pulley to bolt to the balancer. Those are very hard to find.

Maybe for you, but I own a 94 Cobra. I've got the stock pulley that I replaced with an underdrive pulley a few years ago.

I'm a little out of the loop on this but I'm curious, Why does it have to be a cobra pulley?

The Cobras came stock with a slight underdrive pulley. Its the closest one to the stock 5.0l pulley size. A regular 94-95 5.0l pulley should work, but its a little bigger in diameter.

Snoranger,

Is this part still available for Ford? What years \ models did it come from?

I found some guys in England who Laser cut trigger wheels for EDSI. They'll even undercut the I.D. for a better interference fit.

I could take dimensions off my stock pully and fabricate a new one at the shop to fit the non stock balancer instead of trying to find a 94-95 Cobra pulley.

The turbo shop guy said the factory Explorer balancer can be rebalanced on our machines we just need to make mandrils to hold it.

He was more concerned about "Blow Out" (Coming apart)of the drilled balancer on a stroker motor which could see some very high revolutions.

. . . The turbo shop guy said the factory Explorer balancer can be rebalanced on our machines we just need to make mandrils to hold it.

He was more concerned about "Blow Out" (Coming apart)of the drilled balancer on a stroker motor which could see some very high revolutions.

That was CDW6212R's (Don's) concern after he spoke with some experienced custom engine builders. That's why he took the other approach. I'm just looking for more low end torque from a larger stroke and am not concerned about higher than stock engine speeds. I would probably eventually install a camshaft timed for towing.

I have the same plans. I'm hauling a large boat with it. I really need that pull to get up out of the ramp.

However, You never know what can happen on the street.

See attached link for trigger wheel for EDIS.

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d5.html"]

Snoranger,

Is this part still available for Ford? What years \ models did it come from?

I found some guys in England who Laser cut trigger wheels for EDSI. They'll even undercut the I.D. for a better interference fit.

I could take dimensions off my stock pully and fabricate a new one at the shop to fit the non stock balancer instead of trying to find a 94-95 Cobra pulley.

The turbo shop guy said the factory Explorer balancer can be rebalanced on our machines we just need to make mandrils to hold it.

I dont know if its still available, call your local dealer and find out.They also show up on Ebay once in a blue moon, but dont get your hopes up. The last one I saw went for around $150.

I believe the balancer is for a 96 Bronco/f150. they may have also used the on the f250/350 in 97, when they changed the body/engine packages on the 150 but the 250/350 still had a 351w as an option.

The Cobras came stock with a slight underdrive pulley. Its the closest one to the stock 5.0l pulley size. A regular 94-95 5.0l pulley should work, but its a little bigger in diameter.

What about an aftermarket underdrive pully for a 94-95 GT? Those are pretty easy to get ahold of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about an aftermarket underdrive pully for a 94-95 GT? Those are pretty easy to get ahold of.

It should, it would just spin the accessories slower (thats why its called an underdrive pulley :p:).

Back