Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I’ve historically gotten 285 miles per tank. That’s with 70% highway miles. It went down to 250ish with no explanation.
But now, I have the opposite. The last two tanks have been 320+ miles. Just put in 18.66 gallons on 334 miles. Meaning I had an easy 3 usable gallons left (22 gal. tanks, I know.)

So I’ve gone from 15.2 mpg to 17.8 with having changed nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Number4 Not necessarily true. As the seasons change, temperature and pressure and humidity and all sorts of things change. Operating conditions are very different between the seasons. Pay attention to it over the summer and see if it declines over the winter; or look at your records if they go back far enough (you mentioned "historically"; have you been tracking it for several years?) and if you wrote the fill-up dates, you should be able to compare roughly what the temperature and weather might have been.

I noticed that my Elantra gets somewhere in the scope of 3 more MPG when the weather is dry, loses significant MPG when there is rain or standing water on the road, and loses about 2 MPG during the summer as opposed to the winter (averages 45+ winter, usually 43-ish in the summer, perhaps due to driving with windows down, not sure). Carrying passengers and using drive-throughs kills its MPG.

In any vehicle, carrying passengers/pets/groceries/anything will also affect MPG minimally on flat roads, but more extremely on inclines. Also take note of any tourist/beach/school traffic patterns, slow-moving traffic forces lower gears, which usually kills MPG. If traffic is diverted away from your region (such as a part of a community moving out of the mountains toward the beach during the warmer weather), that alone could net you a significant increase in MPG.

There are hundreds or even thousands of factors that you cannot possibly account for that could affect it, even if your driving habits and practices never change.

@Number4 Not necessarily true. As the seasons change, temperature and pressure and humidity and all sorts of things change. Operating conditions are very different between the seasons. Pay attention to it over the summer and see if it declines over the winter; or look at your records if they go back far enough (you mentioned "historically"; have you been tracking it for several years?) and if you wrote the fill-up dates, you should be able to compare roughly what the temperature and weather might have been.

I noticed that my Elantra gets somewhere in the scope of 3 more MPG when the weather is dry, loses significant MPG when there is rain or standing water on the road, and loses about 2 MPG during the summer as opposed to the winter (averages 45+ winter, usually 43-ish in the summer, perhaps due to driving with windows down, not sure). Carrying passengers and using drive-throughs kills its MPG.

In any vehicle, carrying passengers/pets/groceries/anything will also affect MPG minimally on flat roads, but more extremely on inclines. Also take note of any tourist/beach/school traffic patterns, slow-moving traffic forces lower gears, which usually kills MPG. If traffic is diverted away from your region (such as a part of a community moving out of the mountains toward the beach during the warmer weather), that alone could net you a significant increase in MPG.

There are hundreds or even thousands of factors that you cannot possibly account for that could affect it, even if your driving habits and practices never change.
I’ve had this car since 2013. It’s consistently gotten 15.85 MPG’s. When I did the e-Fan, that went up to 16.9? until the ECM corrected for it. (Haven’t had the e-Fan on for 4 years now.)

It’s never got more than 292 miles per tank, and that was freeway and no heavy throttle. I would say nothing has changed in my driving conditions. I thought the last tank was a blip, I’ll see what happens with the next fill up. I was worried the gauge was malfunctioning.

My dad once told me a motor runs it's best just before it dies. If there is less ethanol in the gas the mpg will go up. I usually see 2-3 mpg better in the summer vs winter.

My dad once told me a motor runs it's best just before it dies. If there is less ethanol in the gas the mpg will go up. I usually see 2-3 mpg better in the summer vs winter.
This is 100% my concern! It’s at 277k and it’s tired.

This is 100% my concern! It’s at 277k and it’s tired.
Then I shouldn't be the one telling you what you don't want to hear.

@Number4 There's got to be some rhyme or reason to it. I'd check to see if everything around the intake is in place and secure. Seems that a leak letting more air in could temporarily increase mileage due to a lean condition. No clue if this actually happens, just a thought.

My engine is at 295k and still going strong. Are they the original guides?
No, I did the timing @ 151k. But it does have a little rattle again, so they need replaced.

Back