Completed Project - Superchargered 347 Stroker Build | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Superchargered 347 Stroker Build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
This isn't for a truck but for my 1994 Cobra. What started this build is when I broke another rocker arm and bent another pushrod. It was the second time that it happened. The first time was about 20,000 miles prior. With 90,000 hard miles I figured the cause was weak valve springs. So I pulled the heads and and while I had them off ported them. I then took them to Pacific Engine and had them machined and a valve job done. While doing so they discovered that AFR had way too much spring pressure and that some of the springs only had .500 lift before going into coil bind. My cam with 1.7 rockers has .530 lift so it's surprising they lasted 90,000 miles.

Here's the broken rocker.

P1020025.jpg

Here are some of the porting work I did on the heads and lower intake manifold.

2012-07-10_21_27_50.jpg

2012-07-10_21_28_27.jpg

2012-07-10_21_29_14.jpg

2012-07-10_21_29_47.jpg

After.

P1020105.jpg

P1020106.jpg

P1020117.jpg

P1020118.jpg

P1020119.jpg

P1020120.jpg

P1020122.jpg

P1020124.jpg

P1020125.jpg

P1020116.jpg

P1020114.jpg

P1020104.jpg

Intake manifold.

P1020112.jpg

P1020113.jpg

P1020111.jpg

While the heads were being machined I started cleaning the carbon off the tops of the pistons and noticed a nick in one of the cylinder walls. With that discovery I really didn't want to just slap the heads back on so I started looking into the cost difference of rebuilding the 302 compared to buidling a 347. The cost diference was going to be very little so I'm building a 347.

When I pulled the shortblock from the Cobra and disassembled it I discovered what caused the nick. I found that two studs that hold a splash shield on the intake manifold had come out and fell into the pan. They must have been in there for a long time. There were nicks on the bottom of the pistons, cylinder walls, crank, rods and one lobe on the cam. Here are some pictures of the worst piston.

20121009_083200.jpg

20121009_083208.jpg

20121009_083244.jpg

I ordered a short rod stroker kit from Coast High Performance a couple of weeks ago and picked it up on Friday. Over the weekend I clearanced the cylinders and today I dropped the block off at Pacific Engine. Of course I forgot the pistons so I'll be making another trip out there so they can machine the block for .004 piston to wall clearance.

20121029_130059.jpg

20121029_130048.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I spoke to Eric at CHP today and they want me to try a shouldered pressure plate bolt to make sure that the pressure plate is centered and not the cause of it. The reason is because the holes drilled in the RPM flywheel are just a hair too big for the factory Ford dowel pins. So when I put mine together I used my digital caliper to line the pressure plate up and then used loctite on the dowels. I let it dry overnight and then double checked and they were still centered. They think that might be the cause and want me to try the shouldered bolts first before tearing the engine back out. So as soon as I have time and get the correct part number from them for the bolts I'll pull the trans and and give it a try. I hope that's it but I don't think it is.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I agree it's a long shot, but a possibility.

Pressure plates have a lot of mass; dosen't
take much to throw the balance off...

I really doubt that's the reason but I'll give it try. I built a 331 about a year ago for my nephew using the same CHP kit (different stroke and rod length) with the same flywheel and when I installed his pressure plate I just eyeballed it and it didn't have any vibration. When I put my flywheel back together after CHP balanced it I made sure that it was centered just because they mentioned it then. I didn't know that they made shouldered bolts for it otherwise I would have just used them then.

Traction is going to be your biggest issue!

Sounds great going under that overpass.

You'll get it sorted out eventually, it will be worth the wait.

Wood.

The tires are only 255/45/17s and are getting close to needing to be replaced. When I drag race it I run M/T ET Street slicks that are 26x11.5x17 and they hook well. I still need to buy some new road course tires too and I run NT01s for that. The next set will be 275/40/17 in front and 315/35/17 in the rear.

That should help a bit. When you were running up the on ramp it reminded me of an on ramp I had to travel every day on the way to work when I had my old 5.0. I would hit it in 3rd at around 3000 rpm and hang the ass out every time. Ah to be young and foolish again...

Nothing young about me I'll be 42 this month.

Yeah, I'm pushing 43 myself. I guess I would still be driving like that if I hadn't sold that car to be honest.

This is my slow car. I have a 1969 Chevelle that I bought when I was 16 that has run a best of 10.01 at 133.

Yikes, I've never have had a car with a roll cage. I did a lot of work to that old stang, it dyno'd at just over 300. I figured that was pretty good for nat-asp with ported factory heads.

I pulled the trans this morning, removed one of the old bolts and then installed one of the new shouldered bolts by hand. It lined up perfectly so I did a good job at centering the dowels. I then pulled the flywheel and installed all of them by hand just to make sure none had an issue and they all went in fine.

20130113_154043.jpg

20130113_154027.jpg

20130113_154017.jpg

Since they all lined up perfectly I spent the rest of the day pulling the engine. I got it pulled and striped down to the short block. Tomorrow I'll call Eric at CHP and let him know. I need to check with him and see if they need me to take the pistons off the rods or if I can leave them on. I'm hoping they don't need to come off but I don't know. Tomorrow night I'll finish disassembling it and then take everything down to them. I'm going to weigh everything before I do and take pictures. I'm also going to check the size and depth of the holes that are already drilled in the crank so I know if they remove any material.

20130113_153957.jpg

20130113_153946.jpg

One thing....You sure can pull that motor and trans out in a hurry.
that's a good thing.

There's not much to it. I started around 10:30am and was done by about 4pm.

Dropped everything off today. They are going to call me when it's done.

So the issue turned out to be my pressure plate which was 42g out. I don't understand why it didn't vibrate on the 302 with it that far off but it didn't. Anyways, CHP drilled the weights for me so everything is balanced now. It sucks that I had to pull the engine back apart to find that out but oh well. Tomorrow I'll start assembling it again.

lots of work, but at least an issue was found and rectified.
im impressed with how quickly you can pull a motor and trans.

Thanks. I'm getting ready to assemble the engine now and I'm hoping to finish today and have it back in the car tomorrow if I can.

The engine is now ready to go in the car tomorrow.

Excellent, good work, and great patience.

Back