The Samurai | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Samurai

So basically the problem is having the transfer case mount twist or bend because of too much torque?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes and when that happens your dead on the trail. Seen the break and drop down with the regear kits.

okay got it, thanks!

i want a samurai.....

But of course you do.. everyone's doing it, you gotta have at least one Samurai just to hang out with the cool group at the school yard.

To update this thing, we are going to finish up the front suspension tomorrow. We're going with our own steering design cauz now that the axle is SOA, the steering links are interfering with the leaves. We're going to switch to heims to make things simple (no reamers needed). And just for fun, we're going to go with 0.5" heims (small!!!). Static loading limit on a grade-8 0.5" bolt is over 17,000 lbs (single shear) so I think 0.5" will be plenty for this thing.

its carbed, you should go propane.

Front
DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN00211.jpg

Driveshafts were extended -- sleeved with 3/16" wall tubing:
DSCN0025.jpg

Steering components are still in the mail so hopefully by the end of the week they'll be here. Till then, we're going to work on little things like fuel lines, brake lines, exhaust, and other minor things. Oh and a panhard bar on the front.

This thing is going to look SICCCK with 33"s.. but we're probably not going to go that large.. maybe 31"s

(Tire sitting is a 33" BFG AT)
DSC_0023.jpg

We were thinking of keeping two sets of tires.. 31"s for driving around town and mild off-road and 33"s for more interesting stuff. But we'll see, we still have PLENTY of things left to do.

We are somewhat afraid that the body is now too high (from the tires), so we might end up doing a body-drop on it (as opposed to a body-lift). That'll drop the center of gravity a little lower so thats good.

i wouldn't worry about that... 2 guys can pick up the body with little effort. looking good tho nice fab work again sir.

I see a little stock explorer in the background that is screaming for attention....

Thats my brother's 97 Eddie Bauer.. nothing wild about it, just some Mustang wheels.

We put the body on today just to see what it looks like

DSC_00901.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Lookin' good..

Hmm...looks dang familiar too....

4156dscf0001.jpg

See Draper, you and I could be hitting up Rausch Creek this summer in our Sammys .. but noooo :D hehe.

For anyone else following this thread, I didnt get pics of the "details" like the finished gas tank, panhard and the converted steering... but hopefully I'll get get pics of those items sometime this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few days ago we said Fibonacci Sequence the old body and we picked up another Samurai with a better body from Fredericksburg, Virginia. So today we finally bolted everything down after the body transplant two days ago, reconnected all the connectors, and fired up the engine. We didnt take it for a drive because it was late and we didn't have any gear oil (the differentials are dry).

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_00271.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Back