thinking i bit off more than i can chew.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinking i bit off more than i can chew..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i got up the balls to attempt ball joints cus they were toaaaaaast so i take off the tie rod, hub rotor, the top pinch bolt, the 5 spindle bolts....now what heres a pic im just like totally lost on what do do next?
http://a177.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/46/l_c0caa83352932cec2ddd9e4898095478.jpg

If you recall, I answered your PM last week and replied with the following:

You need to remove (In order) the ABS sensor protector, Spindle, Tie rods, Steering knuckle..

The ABS sensor protector. it is held in by 2 bolts from the backside of the steering knuckle.. be careful not to damage the aluminum Sensor as it is $$ and can be easily broken.

Take a peek at Spindle Removal thread for lots of pics and info..

PM back with any questions... :)

Did you find the 2 bolts holding on the sensor protector? They are located on the inside of the steering knuckle.

After you get the spindle off you need to:
1) Pull the axle shafts out.. The passenger side has a metal clamp on inboard rubber slip joint that will 1st need to be removed. Mark the passenger shaft position so you can re-install it in its relative position.
2) Once the shaft comes out you will need to remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint nut and remove the nut most of the way (leave the nut on 3 threads to prevent the knuckle from falling once the ball joints have have been freed).
3) Mark the camber bushing so it can be re-installed in its relative position.
4) Remove the pinch bolt and camber bushing... the camber bushing is only held in by the pinch bolt so you can use some screwdrivers to evenly pry it up and off..
5) use a pickle fork on the lower ball joint (make sure the bottom castle nut is on a few threads as the steering knucle will just drop when its freed).

Check out Ball joint removal thread for additional info.. Also searching this forum for "ball Joint" will yield a bunch of hits.

hahaha

lightly tap on the spindle with a soft faced hammer hahaha...wow ok well i got that far and got the axleshaft out. nowww got the lower ball joint castle nut off...now where to? lost again? help DeRocha your my hero man

This is the longest ball-joint project i can recall :D
I'm guessing you will need to re-read post #4...

BTW did you already disconnect the tie rod? If not you will need to remove it's lower castle nut and tap it off. If you're tie rods are old It would be a good time to replace them. If so then use tape to mark it's relative position on the threads so the new one can be installed in the "ball park" Obviously you will need to get an alignment...

yeah the tie rod is out, so what about the brake line going into the steering knuckle? will that come off or just press them out with it right by the truck?

yeah the tie rod is out, so what about the brake line going into the steering knuckle? will that come off or just press them out with it right by the truck?

Are you talking about the electrical wire for the ABS sensor as pictured below? If so you need to disconnect it from the wire connector on the Frame...

205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

ok lol im not the most experenced person lol i could have guessed it was a brake line (im only 16) so yeah it's taking a long time it's in my dads garage, and i like 20 miles from it and i usually work all week.. so thats why it's taking so long. so it just disconnects from a connector on the frame? and as for the camber bushing it just pries open after the nut has been removed

ok lol im not the most experenced person... (im only 16)
It is important to let us know how much experience you have.. Now that we know your 16 we can better help you (and not just think you're an adult with no clue). Anyway once you get the pinch bolt off you want to mark the Camber bushing so it can be re-installed in the same position.. As the name implies the camber bushing is used by the alignment shop to adjust the wheel's camber angles.. The camber bushing just pries up and out.. use some screwdrivers to work it off evenly.

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

Great picture DeRocha. That should clear up a lot.

"and not just think you're an adult with no clue" PRICELESS...

It's not the people with no clue that are the problem, let's face it, we're all clueless about SOMETHING until we figure it out. It's the folks with no clue who don't want to bother to search the site, or who ignore advice or argue with people who know better that are really fun... :confused:

Mike

Back