Torque Monsters and Intake Spacer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monsters and Intake Spacer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which would be more beneficial, install the headers first, spacer first, or a combination?

Do them together, the upper intake is a big deal to R&R. You don't want to do that twice.

R&r?

Yeah, I just figured it out when you replied.
Has anybody done both of these at the same time, or just everybody wished they had? I figure i'll take apart the intake, then remove the exhaust manifolds, install the headers, then the spacer and intake. Does that sound like a good plan? I'd just rather not spend 5 hours in the garage fixing a dumb mistake that a little proper planning could have avoided.

Yeah, I just figured it out when you replied.
Has anybody done both of these at the same time, or just everybody wished they had? I figure i'll take apart the intake, then remove the exhaust manifolds, install the headers, then the spacer and intake. Does that sound like a good plan? I'd just rather not spend 5 hours in the garage fixing a dumb mistake that a little proper planning could have avoided.

we did Techieman33's, and tekman05's both at the same time. In my driveway. No Bull

It will help greatly to have a friend around. Also-remove your hood. Just be sure to mark where the bolts are now, and it will line back up perfectly. This will help with the spacer-upper intake-2 gaskets placement.

Like I said in my message to you, just make sure you tell Bob you'll be using a spacer so he can make the EGR tube long enough.

Right. I was just pointing out that the 40 vs 40-P heads does play a role in which spacer you can use. Although it's really an internal vs external EGR issue. But you get the idea.

You had me worried. I'm starting this today, but I've got the right spacer. :)

They finally came! Will get to work on this over the weekend as soon as I pick up my air compressor from Sears tomorrow. Full report next week.

DSC02173.jpg

dont use the TM paper gaskets or you will be doing this again!

The headers are awesome
Having the upper intake off might actually help you work on the headers, so I vote do them both at the same time

The intake spacer is only a PITA because of the EGR tube and the coil pack bracket, my solution was just to use two bolts on the coil bracket instead of 3

I am replacing the gaskets on my TM headers on my 96 truck this weekend, it also has the 1" FMS spacer already LOL
the stock TM gaskets failed on me, I am replacing them with copper gaskets.... same thing I did on my BII

TM headers RULE

dont use the TM paper gaskets or you will be doing this again!

TM headers RULE

I got some Fel-Pro gaskets from Summit when I got the spacer.

wait intake gaskets or header gaskets
I am talking about the header gaskets that come with the headers = wont seal
I had them on my BII, started leaking after a couple months....leaked for a year then I finally went copper

Of course before they leaked on the BII I had installed TM's on my 96 Sploder... went 4x4ing and it got hot (hotter then daily driving, not overheated) and the gaskets failed... so now I'm doing the copper gasket job on that truck = PITA!!

That's wierd. Photobucket is usually good about that. It shows up for me, but at any rate, it's just a pic of the headers sitting on my living room floor.

wait intake gaskets or header gaskets

Yes, I got new header gaskets, at the same time I got the intake spacer, which came with its own intake gaskets.

I got my headers in the mail yesterday. I was like a little school girl when I opened the box. Haha! I got the Trick Flow 1" spacer, Fel-Pro headers gaskets, Magnecor wires, and Ford Motorsports plugs (and a new fuel filter, too). I don't think I'll get to the install this weekend though, so probably the following weekend.

Is there a step by step installation guide with pictures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Day 1: Got the upper intake taken off, both exhaust manifolds, and the driver side header put on.

I busted this connector on the back side of the intake, pretty sure it's a vacuum line. How critical is this? and would a normal auto supply store carry it, or something similar to use?

Intake.jpg

Back