Towing with a lifted Ex. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a lifted Ex.

I used the search button to only find dead end threads.
I will be lifting my explorer with 33's and 4.10s within the year. I have a 6x12 v nose trailer that is 1200lbs empty, would it be ok to tow about 1 ton with this kind of lift? Would extra strain be put on the drivetrain even though it is re-geared?

It pulls the trailer now like a champ (knock on wood :hammer: ).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive tow WELL over that with mine and i have always been fine... 4.0 OHV auto with 3.73's and 32's...
id reccomend a tranny cooler and temp gauge... mine never went over 180* but i have a tranny cooler with elec fan - rated for vehicles up to 25k lbs lol just take it easy on it and id say you would be ok. happy towing

id reccomend a tranny cooler and temp gauge... mine never went over 180* but i have a tranny cooler with elec fan - rated for vehicles up to 25k lbs lol

Mine came with a cooler from the factory which is great. I'll get a temp gauge
In the future 'cause I surely don't want to be putting a tranny in it. Thanks for the response!

i installed the temp gauge first (when i changed tranny fluid and filter, mounted it in the pan) i had NO stock cooler. temps were ok.... THEN i went from stock up to 32/11.50's... witch is why i purchased such an overkill tranny cooler... its amazing what a tire change can do to an auto... shifts waaaaay different and gets alot hotter.... THEN LASTLY i got a trailer hitch and started towing... i use the elec fan even when im not towing.... just a heads up... maybe you wont have such a problem since your going to 4.10's but i would highly reccomend a fluid/filter change and temp gauge first.. hope this helps!

It's about time to do a fluid/ filter change on it too. Was the temp gauge installation a pain? Who makes the temp gauge you have in yours?

hmm... seems my post didnt get posted last night... temp guage isnt bad... i finished mine after dark in the driveway lol. i got all my stuff from summit racing. my gauges are AutoMeter, Phantom 2's i think. i have pics somewhere... most all gauges come with the temp sender. a little wiring but not bad at all. B&M makes a "Drain Plug Kit" seems a bunch of companies make them now also.. around 6 bucks.... it just so happens that the drain plug is the same size as a temp sender haha.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80250/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-5757/

That's a nice gauge. I'll definitely get one when i do the fluid and filter. If you find those pictures of it and where it's mounted, post them up, I wouldn't mind seeing where it's mounted. What is a high temperature for these transmissions? 200+?

If you're going to run 33's and spend the money to re-gear, go 4.56's. Your tranny will be much happier .

I'm lifted about 5"-6" running 33's w/4.56 and tow a 2200lb tent trailer over mountain passes to trail runs (foot through the floor in some spots).

I also have 2 aux coolers (second one with a switched fan), a filter/temp sensor mounted next to and before the radiator with the gauge mounted in a pod on the A pillar.

It gets up to 230* for about 5-10 minutes on the steepest parts of the pass.

If you can afford it, I strongly recommend Amsoil ATF (some people like Royal Purple).

There are some pictures in the 'I've been busy' link in my signature for the mounting locations.

EDIT: pics are in the first post

If you're going to run 33's and spend the money to re-gear, go 4.56's. Your tranny will be much happier .

I've thought about going with 4.56s but I don't tow the trailer that much. It's only if I did tow it more that I would get 4.56s

I'm running 35's with 4:10's works good for me. I have an extra large aftermarket tranny cooler with electric fan, best investment I ever made, after swapping 4 trannies without this stuff, it's easy to see why & how I burned them up! She gets HOT!!! When I tow on steep hills it'll get to 220/240 but when I flip on the fan and coast down the other side, drops right down to 150. I've never weighed my trailer, but when it's fully loaded with all our camping gear, I suspect it's a lot! (*note beer weighs more when the cans are full!) :D
60579_10150306254641427_743021426_9641905_833887_n.jpg

I also got one of those autometer dual pillar gauges, one for tranny temp and one for on board air.

Back