Trip Odometers Resetting Themselves | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trip Odometers Resetting Themselves

dave d dizzo

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer SportTrac XLT
So, I have noticed lately that my trip odometers, both Trip A and Trip B, seem to be resetting themselves. I usually reset them when I fill the tank up, and the last couple of times I've gone to reset them, they've said like 20 miles or 11 miles. However, I know I've driven a couple hundred miles since the last fill up/reset. I just started recently noticing it, so I haven't had an opportunity to do any sort of tracking as to when it occurs, things that I do before it happens, etc. No trends showing themselves as of yet.

Anyone else heard of this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has any clues??? :(

Sounds like a bad case of "gremlins"... hehehehe

Yeah, no kidding. I talked with the dealership today and got the standard "well, you can make an appointment......" He did mention having to replace an instrument cluster for one customer a few months back for "something similar." We shall see next week.

Yeah, no kidding. I talked with the dealership today and got the standard "well, you can make an appointment......" He did mention having to replace an instrument cluster for one customer a few months back for "something similar." We shall see next week.

Well before you let them tear everything apart, go sit in the ST... in the manner you normally do...
(1) Is you knee close to the computer buttons?
(2) Do you ever rest your hand on your knee?
(3) Or, do you drape your hand so hangs over the shifter close to the reset button?
WHY DO I ASK ? ... because on two occasions, my knuckle gently bumped the reset button, changing the settings.

Well before you let them tear everything apart, go sit in the ST... in the manner you normally do...
(1) Is you knee close to the computer buttons?
(2) Do you ever rest your hand on your knee?
(3) Or, do you drape your hand so hangs over the shifter close to the reset button?
WHY DO I ASK ? ... because on two occasions, my knuckle gently bumped the reset button, changing the settings.

The reset button for mine is up in the instrument cluster, right on the speedometer.

Hi Dave,

I bought a 2008 explorer two weeks ago and have the same issue - unwanted auto reset of both trip odometers. I think it happens only, when the ignition is switched off or on, but not each time and I have no clue why and how to fix this. Let me know what your dealership says.

Hi Dave,

I bought a 2008 explorer two weeks ago and have the same issue - unwanted auto reset of both trip odometers. I think it happens only, when the ignition is switched off or on, but not each time and I have no clue why and how to fix this. Let me know what your dealership says.

That is definitely weird....and irritating. I like keeping track of mileage between fillups. Pain in the a$$. Oh well. I should have it in the shop tomorrow, so I will let you know what they say.

Hey Dave, any news regarding the auto reset?

Hey Dave, any news regarding the auto reset?

Unfortunately, work has had me traveling all over the place lately. Two more weeks until I have opportunity to drop it at the shop. I will make sure to update once I get something back from them.

Well, finally got over to the dealership. Unfortunately, no one at the dealership has seen anything like it before. So, after 90 minutes, I was back out the door until the lead tech could get in touch with Ford. Hopefully, Monday they'll have an answer.

My digital display every once in a while flickers to a different function. It only happens for a second then returns I catch it out of the corner of my eye. It does not reset my trip at least I don't think it does I will have to check next time I catch it.

I've noticed that the thermometer reads a good 10* warmer than it actually is.

I've noticed that the thermometer reads a good 10* warmer than it actually is.

Mine is usually on the money give or take a degree. It is always higher when you first start the truck from sitting in the sun. It takes a little bit to cool down to ambient temps.

Mine shows 10* warmer all the time.
Time to disconnect the battery for the transmission tune-up anyway, we'll see if that fixes it.

Nothing yet from the dealer. I keep getting the "we'll get with the tech and give you a call back later today." Starting to piss me off.

VERY interesting. Finally talked to the dealer. Ford is aware of this problem NATIONWIDE on a large number of 08 STs. Engineering has the problem and is trying to figure it out, but as of right now there is no fix action. The only prereq was for the techs to ensure they check for bad vehicle grounding before they submit it as bad, which my guy did.

So now I wait until Ford Engineers figure it out.

Seems like all you guys with this problem all have 2008's. I have a 2007 ST, and my TRIP and everything is perfect! Actually my ST has been 100% flawless! I love it! I have 84,000kms on it now and counting! Only been doing regular maintenance like oil changes and only using 100% synthetic! Best vehicle I have ever owned, and have owned every make so far and this is the best one!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like all you guys with this problem all have 2008's. I have a 2007 ST, and my TRIP and everything is perfect! Actually my ST has been 100% flawless! I love it! I have 84,000kms on it now and counting! Only been doing regular maintenance like oil changes and only using 100% synthetic! Best vehicle I have ever owned, and have owned every make so far and this is the best one!

Aside from this issue, my 08 has been fantastic since I got it. Love it. And this issue isn't even the end of the world. I also do the 100% synthetic every 5k. Fantastic.

Back