Tube front bumper build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tube front bumper build

Thanks IZ;)

Looks like a good deal on that winch, unfortunately i don't have the money to spare on any goodies right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to get a 9000 or 9500lb with a non integrated solenoid...someday.

I'm thinking the bumper needed a flat area on the face like yours Colin, kinda has a plow look but oh well, i'll rock it. I need to mock up the tubework and see how it looks together.

Mine isn't flat, it's a lot like yours. Or do you mean the part outside the tube?

IMG_3015.jpg

On the front face between the tubework of your bumper, looks like you have about a 1" strip where it's flat.

EDIT: Ok, looking at your pics again it has some angle to it so it's flat-ish lol

Lookin' awesome, Dave. I still need to take my bender out of the box. At least you're giving me some motivation. :p:

Lookin' awesome, Dave. I still need to take my bender out of the box. At least you're giving me some motivation. :p:

Thanks...and get to it man!:D

Didn't get much done other than grind it smooth and mock up the tube work, had an alternator issue to deal with on my sisters car:rolleyes:
I like it more now with the tube work, it ties it together nicely. I need to plate the sides of the frame so I can mount the side support tubes. I'm thinking just 2 support tubes mounted to the top of the winch bumper should be good for the front.
Here's some pics:

img_1089.gif

img_1090.gif

img_1091.gif

a have a spare fairlead if you want it dave....;)

Roller fairlead? I'll probably do synthetic rope and use a hawse fairlead but thanks.

No prob...just thought I'd offer;)

Well i'm gonna get back to work on the bumper this weekend. Between the rain and lack of motivation to finish it, nothing got done this past week on it except for plating the frame where the side supports will go.
Today I did some trimming of the inner fenderwells up front since the tires were rubbing in a few spots on full stuff...I really need bumpstops.
Also cut off the oval dealios that are on either side of the radiator core support, looks a lot better.

Ok, got this SOB finished and just in time for me to go wheelin':D
No time for paint until I get back and it needs some adjustments but it'll do for now.
Here's some pics:

img_1092.gif

img_1093.gif

img_1094.gif

So does the future winch mount unbolt from the frame? Lookin hawt. Pretty work.

Actually it is all bolt on, I did this so in the future it would be less work to mount a winch. The tube work bolts on to the bottom winch platform...for lack of a better term. 2 bolts on top are accessed inside the tubes and obviously you can see the bolts at the frame mounts.
The winch platform uses the holes for the original bumper. In order to mount a winch, all I have to do is cut off the top mounts and figure out some way to remount them once the winch is in place.

Thanks guys, it got well used out in Johnson valley this weekend. It did the job grinding against boulders and I had to yank RockRanger out of a situation. Had to wrap the strap around the tube work since I don't have any towpoints mounted yet up front.

Hey Brian, I highly recommend you bring out your crawler if you come out for KOH. Maybe come out a day or so early (or vice versa) to run some of the trails. I really think you'd regret coming out all this way and not be able to run some trails...plus i'd like a ride in it:p:

good to know the bumper passed its first test!

Hey Brian, I highly recommend you bring out your crawler if you come out for KOH. Maybe come out a day or so early (or vice versa) to run some of the trails. I really think you'd regret coming out all this way and not be able to run some trails...plus i'd like a ride in it:p:

Most likely flying out. One of these days I will give you a ride though :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely flying out. One of these days I will give you a ride though :D

Awesome, i'll take you up on that:thumbsup:

Hopefully you can catch a trail ride in someone's buggy while your out for KOH. I'm gonna try to make it out there too but not sure if my truck will be ready. Dented my rear D-shaft so need to get that retubed and also make a trail spare.

Back