Tube front bumper build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tube front bumper build

Had a chance to work on the bumper some more today, mostly getting the templates for the shell dialed in. I need to go to the local steel yard tomorrow and get some 3/16" plate then I can let the fabbing begin.
It was getting dark when I finished up today but tomorrow I'll snap a pic of the mock-up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since my local steelyard blows, I'll have to venture off to another one tomorrow to get my steel.
I guess I'll do some mock-up on the cage in the meantime:D
Here's a few pics:

img_1080.gif

img_1081.gif

img_1082.gif

I'm sure i'll have to but it'll be a long time before I get a winch.

The stinger was gonna be 1.5" tubing but my first screw up looked like it would make a good stinger so I went with it.

LOL, I know how it is. Maybe I should put my multiple screwed-up shock hoops up for sale as stingers:D Still trying to find a use for those...

Looks good!

any luck at the metal yard today Dave? and thanks again for droping off the Tailgate;):thumbsup:

oh yeah...Fudds sure was tasty!!!:p:

Yup, had some luck except they didn't have the angle iron I was looking for but no biggie, I'll just use plate. I came a little unprepared to haul 2 sticks of tubing home, only had one tie-down strap with me since the rest were in the Ranger:rolleyes: I had to buy some ratchet straps at the steel yard and it wasn't pretty but the tube was strapped down on the roof and at the tailgate:eek: Needless to say I won't be doing that again or at least until I get a ladder rack on my truck.
I can finally start fabbing this thing up today so we'll see how far I get.
Thanks for lunch Steve:thumbsup:

Just finished welding the inner structure for the bumper and thought i'd post up some pics. I canned the receiver idea, I just couldn't get it to work the way I wanted to. I'll just mount a couple tow hooks on the topside and reinforce it with 1/4" plate on the underside for good measure. So all that's left is to weld up the shell, everything is cut out except the topside plate then I can move on to the tubing;)

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 924

what did you use to cut everything with? what about welder? I wanna know about the details man, the details!! LOL

what did you use to cut everything with? what about welder? I wanna know about the details man, the details!! LOL

Let's see, for the tubing I used a 14" abrasive saw for the plate steel I used either a 4.5" grinder with a cut-off wheel or the sawzall. I fine tune the pieces with the belt/disc sander gizmo that attatches to my bench grinder. For pieces I need a matching set of I clamp them together and grind, drill or whatever needs to be done. The welder i'm using is a Lincoln 175 plus 220v unit.

Colin, funny you mention the angles...the pieces I had cut out for that don't seem to line up now. Maybe with all the welding things moved so i'll have to cut some new pieces.

Got some pics of everything tacked before I started welding. It's pretty much all welded now, I just have to do the finish grinding to make it smooth. It got dark on me so pics of the finished product tomorrow.
Colin, do you know what the bolt pattern is on your winch? I'm wondering if one would even fit on there...i'm mostly concerned with the depth.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 884

How did you bend ? Do you have a break?

Thanks Colin, I was just looking on the Ramsey site and it shows a 10"x4.5" bolt pattern. I would think that's pretty common bolt pattern with most winches. Looks like i'd be able to fit one on there, the depth of my top plate is 7.5":thumbsup: Now if I could just afford a winch:rolleyes:

EDIT for IZwackness: I just welded all the joints and seams. This could easily be made with 4 bends and minimal welding if I had the right equipment and knowledge to use it.

EDIT for IZwackness: I just welded all the joints and seams. This could easily be made with 4 bends and minimal welding if I had the right equipment and knowledge to use it.
Ahhh gotcha -- great work, very clean!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back