Tuning my 347 with rear mount turbo | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning my 347 with rear mount turbo

Very good. I don't understand it much, but I like it. :drunk:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What software are you using for your tuning?

Rick, I'm using SCT, and the pro racer package.

The only thing I really don't like about it (Other than the tuning learning curve) is that you can't make changes on the fly. You make a change on your computer, upload it to the SCT tuning device, then upload it to your ecm. Each change takes some time. There are other solutions like a moats quarterhorse that are easier to work with.

The more I learn about the factory tuning, the more changes I see that benefit performance.

Sorry Don, the tuning seems pretty straight forward to me, but then again I have been beating my head against a wall for a very long time on the tuning. It's slow going for me, but my truck is running closer and closer to a factory tuned vehicle as far as street manners go (Other than the obvious noise, and the shake of the cam at idle). I don't think any tuner could, or would, put the time in to tuning like the owner can.

Great detective work Dono!
Glad to hear you are making good progress.
Enjoy that powerful turbo Explorer!

So, I was never actually able to get rid of that random misfire code p0300. Fuel trims looked the same on both banks, and tried everything I could think of except for inviting a priest over for an exorcism.

I am quite certain its the cam causing the issue. The fix? I told the pcm to avoid misfire checking below 1500 rpm. Problem solved. Iv'e been driving off and on for the last 6 or so weeks with no check engine light on.
upload_2019-9-23_18-33-53.png

The tuning never stops. I tried getting more mid range by adding more timing in the lower rpm's, but the J&S knock sensor told me otherwise :( . The cam card says to use a minimum 3000 rpm stall converter, and I am going to say they were not lying. My 2800 stalls to fast for a super quick off the line launch. One word....****ty.

Someone have a 3200 stall locking torque converter for a 4r70w lying around?

On the other side of things, even part throttle at 3000 rpm boost is on and the old girl pulls really hard. Hard enough that I'm going to have to be really careful over winter.

For whatever reason, I seem to be able to add quite a bit of timing above 5600rpm. I'm still playing with that number, slowly inching up up to where the knock sensor lights up and tells me to back off. I think the water/meth is letting me do this. But, notice what my timing table looks like. At peak torque, I don't have much timing. Also, look at the lower rpm's. I thought some of the area's that the knock sensor was detecting detonation was a false reading, but I remove a bit of timing and the sensor doesn't detect knock in that area anymore. How do you argue with that?
upload_2019-9-23_18-48-29.png

On a side note, I found a used SCTx4 for my mustang. I know its a different motor, but that same trans. Just loading the base tune and then adding value files for the 87 octane fuel and the 4r70w performance value file it really woke that little car up. It just made me think how hard it is to make our trucks fast, then I do something super quick and easy to the car and make a real noticeable difference. I think were out of summer, but I'm hoping I can get the tank low enough to fill it with 91, and load the 91 octane value file. There's way more timing in the 91 file, so I'm curious if I'd feel a difference.

One day I need to spend a few mins with you on the phone so you can talk me through the basics of my sct3. I haven't a clue how to use it yet. Still stored in the package. Lol

My wants and needs are different then yours are, but I bet once I understand it a little, I can learn over time.

Here is my long winded reason as to why I never learned. It has to do with age, and my needs changing as I got older. I got into hot rodding at an early age. Family with kids, ever increasing Bill's, and priorities all took me away from it, slowly but surely. I love reading about what you guys are doing to your rigs, even if I dont understand a lot of it.

I do understand the want for a higher stall tho. I ran a 3500 and really needed bigger, but I knew I would be exploding parts easier if I did go bigger. The big ole Mickey's aired down hooked very well, to the point I needed wheelie bars. Blew the front windshield out twice from launching hard with 513's in the 9". Took that pig out, and the 456 switch fixed that, along with some better ladder bars.

This was long ago, before all this high tech gizmo stuff was normal for us young street racers on a budget. I just never learned any of it because of that. Timing was done by ear, and by hand back then. Fuel mix was done with screwdrivers, gpm was done by jets and mechanical pump sizes. Octane mix was done with 3 fuel cans, with leaded fuel, and airplane fuel. Forced induction with a saw cut hood, and a scoop. Today's big engines we're our small engines that we picked on.

Truth be told, those big block engines that would rattle the neighborhood, and menace society, guzzle fuel like a jet engine, didn't put out the power today's stuff does in much smaller packages. It was fun though!! Building a big heavy steel muscle car, laying black stripes punching it at 40 mph, and grabbing attention from anybody in a 4 block radius, was the shiz.

Keep on updating as much as possible please. This old man enjoys it.

Yea, just like I enjoy watching the fabrication that you do. Except, you would be able to learn the tuning side far easier than I could learn the fabrication stuff you and others do. That stuff takes a life time of learning.

Your right though, the tuning was done differently with carbs and distributors. Exactly the same principals, but electronically controlled now. Even as much as changing shift points at certain rpm and throttle positions can be super helpful. For crawling I'd bet you would want to hang on to a gear as long as possible before having the trans do an untimely shift on you. I think your real gains would be in transmission shift point adjustments.

Problem with the SCT is that you either pay someone with dealer status that has paid for all the strategies and can convert a file in to something that can be emailed and uploaded, or you spend money on the pro racer package. I'm guessing we probably have the same pcm software strategies, but I can't email them to you in a format (.cef) you could upload to your sct device.

I'm still learning also. It's by trial and error, but at least I know what detonation sounds like, and I have an aftermarket knock sensor that tells me when the timing is too far advanced even when I can't hear anything. In your case, you wouldn't be after more timing, as max torque occurs without max timing.

The more I think about it........It gets pretty tough for one human being to be able to do absolutely everything. If you do decide to dive in, I'd highly recommend the Pro Racer package as no one could make changes how you would like without driving it.

I'd be happy to do some remote computer logins to help get you started and show you the ropes. It's time consuming, and it can be frustrating. At least you are dealing with a stock motor, so you are not chasing self created issues that your chasing.

for what its worth, don and i bought our pro racer packages at the same time, or close to it. to this day i have no idea how to use it. hell, i bet if i had to do a data log right now i would be scratching my head because its been 2 years since i last needed don to mess with anything.

This thread very helpful thanks dudes

Back