Turbo Mounty is down | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo Mounty is down

Had to have it towed last week. Seems like the fuel pump decided to stop working. I have power into and out of the inertia switch, so everything is good up to that point. Of coarse I had just filled the tank the morning this happened!

I'll eventually get the tank emptied and dropped when it gets a bit warmer out. It's up on the jack stands now and I'm slowly working on it.

I'm going to do a twin 255 lph setup in it this time. The single 310 lph I put in was probably borderline anyway.

I have a set of 60# injectors waiting to go in too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know guys are saying they can build them to hold the power. the problem with power is making things hold up with a big heavy truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know guys are saying they can build them to hold the power. the problem with power is making things hold up with a big heavy truck.

It would take something like the reworking that Lentech did with the AOD, and I don't know if that will work for the 5R's. I think the internal parts are just enough smaller than a 4R that it could be a dead end.

Psst, what did you think of the TM headers, have you read about them?

Are you considering doing the 4R70W like Robert(KBX) did? I think his is still fine, but he planned to do that a long time ago. I'd love to have the five speed also, but it doesn't seem to be up to the big power right now.

What's sad is that we won't be hearing from Rob for at least another year. The Ex is just sitting and waiting for him to get back:( If I was filthy rich, I'd finish the ride up and surprise him:D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe Explorer/Mountaineers did come with the 5R55S?(I have the 5R55W) and that same trans is found in the 05-10 mustang GT's? They have been built to handle a lot of power and if you can get a 5R55S that will work, then you may be onto something;)

The whole 5R series are very similar in internal dimensions, even though they don't all function alike or every part swap. The potential strength is determined by the sizes and friction surface/materials. That's the weakest link that's hard to improve.

The AOD was barely capable when it was new in 1980, but over time the bugs were worked out. It wasn't a size issue there, but Ford took over ten years to make it dependable, and until 1998 to finish the big upgrades.

Hopefully the aftermarket companies are working on the 5R, and may come up with something. They just haven't yet.

What do you guys think about cryotreating?

That may help, but I think most of the capacity is in the friction area of the clutches, as well as the band surface area. I'm just speculating though from the many times I have spoken to experts from TransGo, Art Carr, and Level 10. Those are the people to keep in touch with and motivate to work on it.

I love the gear ratios in the wide ratio versions of the 5R. Basically the 2-4th gears are the same as an AOD/AODE(very close), with a new lower 1st gear.

Are you asking what I think of the tm headers?

It took a lot time for people to make things hold. There are guys out there that I am sure can make it better of course. Of course your going to need to machine new parts and rework things the right way. I think at PRI both lentech and PA had built 5r in there both. The Pa both had a 5r with a billet bell to make it work on a 5.0 with tranny controler. I would call both of them about what they have going in the works right now, also Atf in Florida might be making some new parts.

Yes, finding the people who are on the cutting edge for trans modifications is the first step. Locate them and encourage them, let them know that you seriously want help.

Yes, finding the people who are on the cutting edge for trans modifications is the first step. Locate them and encourage them, let them know that you seriously want help.

And pull your wallet out. Take out a loan, max out the credit cards.

We have been through alot of tranny in our truck. It was a very long time to get something to hold. Progress is expensive and slow, it will happen and if you don't want to wait then swap a 4r70w. Which is what I told rocket to do years ago.

Back