Twin Turbo 306 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin Turbo 306

Hey guys, its been a long time. I have the white explorer with a turbo sohc. If you remember from b4, I was selling all the 4.0l stuff and going with a 5.0l. A few months ago I had the 5.0l rebuilt, its now a 306 with forged aluminum wiseco pro-tru pistons, f-cam, stock E7's with 3-angle valve job, gt-40 intakes, as close as possible to being balanced and blueprinted for the money I paid. I kept the rebuild simple because its really easy to make power with a turbo on a 5.0l.

The turbos are twin t3's from mid - late 80's t-birds. I built the whole setup from scratch, right from the header flange all the way back. The headers are made from 1 5/8 stainless, the collector is 2.5" along with the rest of the exhaust, the wastegates are 38mm, and the mufflers are magnaflow. The coldside from the turbos to the intercooler is 2.5" aluminum, out of the intercooler is 3" to the tb. The planned horsepower is 450 at the wheels. Im not too worried about the block, if it splits then so be it. As for the rest of the driveline, I have a tremec TKO600 5spd trans, custom made chrome moly driveshaft, and the stock 8.8 with the tubes welded. The 8.8 still has the factory 4.10 gears and LS, when I get closer to driving I swap those out. For fuel I have a walbro 255lph pump, 42lb injectors, and professional products fuel rails. Im going to put another in line pump and change the fuel lines once I decide on what to do. I'll be using my megasquirt for engine management and probably dual widebands for tuning.

The whole truck will be different when it rolls out, custom two tone paint, full custom interior, custom body mods, and mayb 22's if everything plays out right. I'm sandblasting the whole frame + underside of truck, then i'll spray it with black epoxy primer, and probably a bed lining of some sort. I shaved every hole in the engine bay that has no purpose, deleted any wires that dont do anthing anymore, and relocated what wires I could into the inner fenders. Well I guess thats enough explaining, enjoy the pics!

Turbo Headers:

Rad + Intercooler:

Hotside almost complete:

More pics to come once I find them. Let me know what you guys think!

slap a turbo on that beast.

Back