Twin Turbo 306 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin Turbo 306

Hey guys, its been a long time. I have the white explorer with a turbo sohc. If you remember from b4, I was selling all the 4.0l stuff and going with a 5.0l. A few months ago I had the 5.0l rebuilt, its now a 306 with forged aluminum wiseco pro-tru pistons, f-cam, stock E7's with 3-angle valve job, gt-40 intakes, as close as possible to being balanced and blueprinted for the money I paid. I kept the rebuild simple because its really easy to make power with a turbo on a 5.0l.

The turbos are twin t3's from mid - late 80's t-birds. I built the whole setup from scratch, right from the header flange all the way back. The headers are made from 1 5/8 stainless, the collector is 2.5" along with the rest of the exhaust, the wastegates are 38mm, and the mufflers are magnaflow. The coldside from the turbos to the intercooler is 2.5" aluminum, out of the intercooler is 3" to the tb. The planned horsepower is 450 at the wheels. Im not too worried about the block, if it splits then so be it. As for the rest of the driveline, I have a tremec TKO600 5spd trans, custom made chrome moly driveshaft, and the stock 8.8 with the tubes welded. The 8.8 still has the factory 4.10 gears and LS, when I get closer to driving I swap those out. For fuel I have a walbro 255lph pump, 42lb injectors, and professional products fuel rails. Im going to put another in line pump and change the fuel lines once I decide on what to do. I'll be using my megasquirt for engine management and probably dual widebands for tuning.

The whole truck will be different when it rolls out, custom two tone paint, full custom interior, custom body mods, and mayb 22's if everything plays out right. I'm sandblasting the whole frame + underside of truck, then i'll spray it with black epoxy primer, and probably a bed lining of some sort. I shaved every hole in the engine bay that has no purpose, deleted any wires that dont do anthing anymore, and relocated what wires I could into the inner fenders. Well I guess thats enough explaining, enjoy the pics!

Turbo Headers:

Rad + Intercooler:

Hotside almost complete:

More pics to come once I find them. Let me know what you guys think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could have made the hp your looking at with the 5.0L with the little sohc that you had! I am real close!! A manual shift tranny? I guess I have gotten lazy I will the computer shift for me now.-j

Good project though..

MAD SKILLS with the plumbing, cant wait to see it done!

Whats the total budget on this sucker approx?

Not bad. What is the turbine A/R on those T3's?

Thats a lot of nice work being put into it. Looks like a big project.

Ditto, I had pondered building my 91 Mark VII with the Turbo Coupe turbos.

Wow. That's outstanding work. Can't wait to see more progress! :thumbsup:

Those turbos are good for mid teens of boost(15+psi), without limiting their natural boost 500hp will be an easy first step.

I know I have no expierence with engines really, and I thought your headers were upside down for a second and I thought, "how is that going to work? And where the exhaust fumes going to exit?"

But after seeing the turbos hook up to the headers, I'm even more confused on where the fumes exit! I'm just curious...

Awesome project by the way

Skrew the EGR. Your getting cleaner fuel. and I know you might get better MPG with the EGR but its okay..

WOW! fantastic work, very clean. keep the updates coming, im interested in seeing this.

Thanks for all the comments.

Jah, I figure you to be around 375whp, I really dont see the sohc being reliable with 450whp. But I give you mad props for what your doing with the sohc. You have acomplished alot and should be proud. I remember my sohc with 260whp. It cooked for only 4.5psi. I tried going to 10psi but my trans didnt like it. Moving to the 5.0 is the best thing I've done in my opinion.

410Fortune, I havnt sat down yet to calulate but a rough price off the top of my head is $11 000 CAD.

rocket, the turbine a/r is 0.48. Ive done lots of reading at turbomustangs, with stock heads and a redline 5500 -5700 these turbos will reach my goals no problem.

jtsmith, I built the headers with a spark plug socket and wrench on each plug. I can get to ALL plugs with no problem at all. I believe in one of the header pics you can see the socket.

ryanmagahis, if you look at one of side pics of the turbos, you will see a 2.5" pipe exit the back of the turbo. Picture it as an L, the exhaust enters the small part of the L and exits out the big part.

I will keep you guys updated as much as I can. Progress has be slow though, but I should be rolling it out in the spring no problem. After I have broken in the engine and trans, I will post some dyno sheets and hopfully some track times (if they let me on because of my shaved door handles).

wow guy, very nice, keep us posted and MORE pics!!

Yes we are pic hores, well at least i am.

I believe we might see a new record for the fastest explorer. I'm not sure about the turbo sizing though?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the comments.

Jah, I figure you to be around 375whp, I really dont see the sohc being reliable with 450whp. But I give you mad props for what your doing with the sohc. You have acomplished alot and should be proud. I remember my sohc with 260whp. It cooked for only 4.5psi. I tried going to 10psi but my trans didnt like it. Moving to the 5.0 is the best thing I've done in my opinion.

I don't like giving props to other tuners but Justin@VMP is making 395hp/375rwtq @ 15# boost on a 05 Mustang with a supercharger and nowhere near the bolt on mods as I have. My truck has edged over 400 to the wheels to date at only 10# boost. It is all about the tuning and efficiency of the combination. Will the SOHC be reliable past 450hp? I don't know but I guarentee you I will be one of the first to find out. Not only that my drag strip performances support the information I have stated. I always questioned why the other combination you had was down on power. 450 with a 5.0L is very conservative, that is if you have a good tuner. He will make or break you. About the tranny, I am currently running a 5R55S, previously the 5R55E didn't like 12# of boost then once it started slipping at 10# I backed it down to 9#boost. Thus encouraging me to look at capabilities the E couldn't provide. Hence, the 5R55S swap. I don't believe I will have any trans problems in the near future as the S has proved to be a very dependable and tough unit.-j

I believe we might see a new record for the fastest explorer. I'm not sure about the turbo sizing though?
I doubt it will be slow by any means, but I still have my money on Rob as top dog! Maybe I can slide in behind these two guys. What do you call it? 3rd! But still don't count me out.-j

Back