• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

Jeffe

Reaction score
City, State
silver spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt, 97 xlt
read all before you start...

Hi. your gonna want to lift the frame right before the rear wheels right in front of the the leaf spring mounting perch. BE SURE TO BLOCK THE FRONT TIRES WELL!! Before you start make sure you have all the necessary new hardware for the install. Bolts, nuts and lock washers and of course the shackles. If your shackles came with bolts and nuts good. But if not I suggest going to your local hardware store and picking up some grade 8 steel bolts, nuts and lock washers. I recommend 9/16 nuts, bolts and lock washers by 4 1/2 inches long.

Order of operation as follows;
1. block the front tires well
2. jack the frame up right in front of the rear tire, right before the front most leaf spring perch.
3. Remove the old shackle bolts from the shackle.
4. Install the shackle and the top bolt, lock washer and nut.(remember the lock washer goes on right before the nut.)
5. Pull the leaf down to align the lower shackle mounting hole and the leaf mounting hole. If too hard to pull down use a piston jack to help align the holes. Once aligned remove piston jack BEFORE dropping the the truck.
6. Make sure all bolts are tight and lower the jack.
7. Repeat on the other side.

note: it would be beneficial to hose down the bolts of the rear shackles with pb blaster or liquid wrench a few days and a few times prior to doing the actual shackle job. trust me, very beneficial.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ilikemice

Reaction score
City, State
Midlands, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Cheers for that. I've been hosing down my bolts with penetrating oil for a few days ready to install my shackles but I wasn't sure where to put the jack on the frame and your post cleared that up nicely. I've always lifted it from the axle when working on it.

RedneckRambo

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
where can you order the shackles from. i can only find them for heeps

Four0Sport

Jack Pewe
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
anyone that carries Warrior Products brand should be able to get these for you also, they just wont list them. Call them and give them the part number, 153.

RedneckRambo

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
anyone that carries Warrior Products brand should be able to get these for you also, they just wont list them. Call them and give them the part number, 153.
ok thanks

turboexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eagle Mountain, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT 5.0L 4X4
Callsign
Turbo
Thats what I did for mine and my brothers

Mylomeister

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
Quick question that I thought I'd just add to this thread:

I have a class III trailer hitch installed on my XLT - would it be a problem, be in the way or cause any fitment issues when installing the Warrior shackles?

Four0Sport

Jack Pewe
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
the only thing I see giving you trouble is having limited access to the backside of the shackle to frame bolt. using a box end wrench should let you get in the tight area.

Fordexplorer1997

Reaction score
City, State
Wenona IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok guys I have a dilema im installing my warrior shackles the driver side bolts all came out fine and the shackle is on. the pass side leaf spring bolt is rusted solid in the sleve we've tried everything to get it out air hammer punch with a mini sledge. Does anybody have any advice they could throw my way its my daily driver and id like to have it back pretty soon.

sitemodeltrent

Reaction score
City, State
Brunswick, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 2WD V6
If i do a 2" torsion twist on the front, what size shackles should i buy for the rear?

BullGawd

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4.0L Sport
so would these warrior shackles work on a 98 explorer sport or what?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
It works on all the explorers with a solid rear axle.. which includes the 98

~Mark

MarkieMark703

Reaction score
City, State
FairFax, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
:exp: I was wondering, do you just need rear shackles or do you need front ones as well? also can I just use the shackles for a lift without installing a body lift or should I also buy the body lift?

bcburlette

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2wd

RaveDigger

Reaction score
City, State
Groton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 5 speed manual
This may be a stupid question, but my Warrior shackles did not come with a lockwasher. I installed them last week with all the hardware that was included and torqued to 30 lb/ft as recommended in the instructions. Should I have added my own lockwashers or will I be alright? I'm going to recheck the torque as soon as I get home just to be on the safe side, but I'd like some feedback.

bcburlette

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2wd
when I did my shackles they came with one, but they were an off brand.
what I would do is add a second nut to the bolt(if there is room) but I would say yes, after all, is the cost of an extra nut worth loosing your shackles on the highway? I think not....

QuietRiot25

Reaction score
City, State
Cranbrook BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
i just did fabbed up my custom lift shackles and i still have my plans that i used if anyone wants to make their own for half the cost of the warrior ones

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RedneckRambo

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
i just did fabbed up my custom lift shackles and i still have my plans that i used if anyone wants to make their own for half the cost of the warrior ones
did you make yours longer than the warriors?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Anyone know if the Warrior 153 shackles fit a Ranger? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
JamminG4Jim Warrior 153 Shackles and Pinion angle Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
H Do you have warrior 153's? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
rhyno Just installed Warrior 153, didnt do much Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
E Trying to install warrior spring shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
MidnightRebel07 I'm buying used Warrior Products lift shackles, no bolts. What size are the bolts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
L Are Warrior Shackles still the choice of most on here? I'm looking to get a set soon. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
J Wanted Warrior Shackle Info and other lift questions Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
Y Warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
N Quick question regarding Warrior Shackle & TT Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
D Warrior shackle lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
G Where can I find warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
A shackles-other than warrior Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 15
3 Warrior shackles and TT? I'm new to this!!! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
A Warrior shackle length Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
N Warrior Sway Bar Disconnects Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
2 TT and Warrior Shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
S Warrior Shackle Install - Before and after pics Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
S Does anyone have pics of Warrior shackles from behind? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
D Cheap warrior 153s? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
9 pic of warrior shackles installed on 2nd gen? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
T warrior shackel and hidden hitch ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
E Help ! Spec. Warrior Shakles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
C warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
I Warrior Shock Mounts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
C Warrior Shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
B A warrior shackle question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
I Warrior Shackles...Where to buy? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
B Ordered Warrior Shackles will i have to get rid of my Rancho5000 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
B URGENT QUESTION ON WARRIOR SHACKLES........ Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
9 warrior shackels instal ? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
9 will my warrior shackles fit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
G Busted warrior u-bolt skid plate - how do i fix it? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
H Question about warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
L Tellico has an overstock on Warrior Shackles. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 22
T AAL and Warrior Installation Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
B JD Shock and Warrior Shackle Questions Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
B warrior shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
M Warrior Shackles question..... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
W Are the Warrior shackles on 1.25" lift? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
W What is the part number for the warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
Kirby N. Opinions on Warrior Quick Discos Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
M Torsion twist and warrior shackles? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
B Shortening warrior shackles... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
E warrior shackles/tt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
W warrior quick disconnect noise problem? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
B Front B bars lift to warrior lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S Ballpark Warrior Shackle price? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
L Torson Twist, Warrior Shackles and leaf bundles, a Fresh Look Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 20
F Where to find Warrior Shackels on Net or Denver Area...Helpmae Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8