way to stop tailgaters? what do you think | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

way to stop tailgaters? what do you think

me and a buddy got to talking today about tailgaters and how to keep them off your @$$ and we came up with away that we think works great in day and night mount a mointry on switch and wire it into the brake likes so that you look like your braking when your not

what do you guys think i dont know if anyons done this yet if so how has it worked out for you and if no ones done it yet if theres a bunch of people wanting to see it done and how it works out ill do it and let every one know what the results are

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E-brake = no brake lights, or an off-road light pointed right at their faces. That's what I do...

I start by going 5 under, if they get closer, or honk, I usually reduce to 10 under, and so on, in 5 mph increments. if they want to have road rage, I just let my over sized trailer hitch take care of that.

BUT, your idea works too, I like it.

Anything you do to make another more upset, can (and will eventually) backfire. There are a lot of crazy people out there, and you really don't know how they might react.

Years ago I shined a spotlight back through my rear window at a tailgator. The way he or she reacted was absolutely crazy . . . . tried to ram me and push me off or the road. I went from being pissed and upset, to a feeling of fear. I am no wimp, and I can fend for myself . . . .but when you have an idiot driving a 2+ ton weapon at you it can be a little disturbing.

Yeah, just let them pass you.

Holding down the windshield washer button will usually "irritate" them enough to back off.
More of a psychological deterrent. These idiots have very small minds, doesn't take much.

I usually just pull over & let them pass. Giving them the finger as they go by.
I've often thought of changing the direction of the rear window washer so it would spray water on them. Never got around to it though.

E-brake = no brake lights, or an off-road light pointed right at their faces. That's what I do...

off road lights ive got but that dont work well in the day time and for a hitch im getting this
411hpDZCxtL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

with a few bumper stickers to go with it and they are
41yBNfJK63L__SS500_.jpg

41vmtQGMvrL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

alil hard to read it says "This vehicle makes frequent unexpected stops - come closer and I'll show you"
and my favitore one
41HYx-6h9JL__SS500_.jpg

so whats the poll on going with the brake like mod going to be trying to do it nicely frist since most of us around here know each other

I agree with JCAT; too many crazies. I was getting on an interstate ramp from a traffic light a couple years back, and there was a F150 driver behind me at 5:15 in the evening flashing his lights and waving his arms. Where was I supposed to go? There was rush hour traffic in front of me, and my Ranger can't go through vehicles. He passed me and flipped me off. Also, the same reason, drivers shouldn't flash lights anymore at oncoming traffic of cars -- even if one doesn't have headlights on? One just never knows what an irate person would do.

My light in the back has worked pretty well It's not a fog light, it's a Hella 4000. I should hook up a camera to take a pic when I hit that switch, because their faces are pretty funny when a bright light hits them in the middle of the night too.

A sticker that says, "Go ahead and hit me, I like a good game of tag."

Holding down the windshield washer button will usually "irritate" them enough to back off.
More of a psychological deterrent. These idiots have very small minds, doesn't take much.
This is good too. I did used to have one of my washer fluid nozzles aimed up so it went directly over my truck and get the car behind me pretty good.

off road lights ive got but that dont work well in the day time and for a hitch im getting this
411hpDZCxtL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

with a few bumper stickers to go with it and they are

I have a three point hitch like this without the hook and it has taken 2 victims soo far. The last one was the worst, a guy flipped me off for no reason on the freeway, so I hit my brakes and his monte carlo crunched up like a slinky! I had to slam on the gas to get unhooked from the guy!

You do NOT want to put those stickers on, cause than the police will find you at fault, the object is to blame it on them and get away ticket free!!

If you get rear ended in any way in Ga , The Person in The Rear Is At Fault , Period ! , I Just turn up my radio and go slower , then if they get (stupid) on me i just (brake Check) Them !

41yBNfJK63L__SS500_.jpg

That's classic... :D

its illegal to put a brake or stoplight blackout switch on your car,, if teh get too close tap your brakes, if the do it again just slow down,, the closer they are to my back bunper the slower i go,, oh after the seond time taping your brakes and theyve quit reacting, open window, wavem off, then start slowing works buck

My Mounty had a broken wiper arm for quite some time, so I unhooked the rubber tube from the arm that went out to the blade. Shoots a nice stream, that always seemed to get attention.

I used to slow way down until they would try to pass, then floor it when they got next to me... Repeat a few times...

In recent years, I just slow down and let them pass. Enough idiotic, dangerous drivers on the road, why would I want to intentionally keep one close?

I do the 5 mph slow down per incident or the washer fluid. I've been on a road where passing was impossible and they just wouldn't back off even at 25 mph. I stopped for a few moments. Started back up and they waited until the next passing zone and flew by me waving their finger. I loved the moment when the road opened back up to two lanes and we met side by side at a stoplight a few miles down the road. I just looked over and smiled. I think that got them more than stopping.

I have no problem getting passed. Road raging idiots aren't worth my brakes or gas.

I have a three point hitch like this without the hook and it has taken 2 victims soo far. The last one was the worst, a guy flipped me off for no reason on the freeway, so I hit my brakes and his monte carlo crunched up like a slinky! I had to slam on the gas to get unhooked from the guy!

You do NOT want to put those stickers on, cause than the police will find you at fault, the object is to blame it on them and get away ticket free!!

Still waiting for my first victim....
001.jpg

002.jpg

I live on a very busy street it is 6lanes wide but still only a 2 lane street. every once in a while as I get close to the house I find someone tailgating right on my bumper. I put my turn indicator on for a right turn and start to move over to pull into my driveway. The idiot behind me follows suit and continues to tailgate. I have simply moved all the way over to the curb and parked with the idiot still behind me now flashing his lights in protest of my stoping. After I get done laughing at his stupidity I continue on and pull into my driveway ever so slowly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have simply moved all the way over to the curb and parked with the idiot still behind me now flashing his lights in protest of my stoping. After I get done laughing at his stupidity I continue on and pull into my driveway ever so slowly.

LMFAO!!!! Done that once on I-94.

Back