well its decided, I am going Full width D44 / 9" on my 91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

well its decided, I am going Full width D44 / 9" on my 91

dkkne

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I was with all my buddies who are all Early Bronco owners and after 4 wheeling up in McCaslin ( Lakewood, WI ) and watching 2 hours of Videos, I ended up purchasing a set of Full Width Axles, a D44 with a Mini Spool, all new brakes, u joints and hubs, and a 9" with a full spool . Gear ratios are 4.10's which need to be changed to 5.38's when I can, but will have to due for now.

They also are going to help fab these up in teh explorer on one long weekend here coming up in preperation for a badlands trip coming up in October. I will keep you all posted with progress.

I am PUMPED for this too! $250 for a set of the above mentioned axles, complete and help with fabbing everything up. It is GREAT to have friends help that have knowledge in this area!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice buy, I don't think I would like a mini spool in the front

its a HUGE benefit when off road at times, I just leave one hub unlocked so it would steer and I'd just lock it in when I need all 4 wheels pulling. kind of like a poor mans locker.

wow thats a great deal..sell me a set

damn i need friends like that

I didn't think they made matching 5.38's When i bought my gears i was going to buy as low as i could and 5.13s where the only thing that matched up.

I didn't think they made matching 5.38's When i bought my gears i was going to buy as low as i could and 5.13s where the only thing that matched up.

I'm runnign 5.38s in my D44 and 5.43s in my 9"..... not a perfect matchm but close enough not to worry. you can actually go into the 7s on the 9" but IIRC, the lowest you can go on a D44, is like a 5.7something.

--Ryan

I knew the 9" went way down there. I was looking for a perfect match. I would have went into the 7's if the 44 followed.

I knew the 9" went way down there. I was looking for a perfect match. I would have went into the 7's if the 44 followed.
I was gonna go as deep as I could too, but I ended up settling (sp?) for the 5.43s b/c I've been told that if you get too deep of gears, and your crawl ratio can actually overpower your brakes..... and I dind't wanna find out. haha

With the completion of the sas I have yet to drive it with the 5.13's but im going to find out soon. Spas just did her's and already ordered 5.13's after driving it once with 4.56's. I would rather keep the gears a bit higher and get a doubler, that way I have more options and the doublers low low ranger is still lower than ill ever need. A doubler kit you can get for $350~, almost less then the cost of gears and install kits.

that's a pretty good point, especially if you're going to be a streeter. But if you're going to running 35's or bigger i'd go with at least 5.13's because of the loss of power.

that's a pretty good point, especially if you're going to be a streeter. But if you're going to running 35's or bigger i'd go with at least 5.13's because of the loss of power.

I agree 100%

But im saying im running 5.13's and 36's and If I would wanted to drive mine onroad I definatly shoulda gone 4.88's and a doubler, offroad 5.13's and a doubler never hurt anyone :D

I drove my Explorer from DC to Paragon on 5.13s and 36" SXs and, power and gas wise, it did fine. I kept it at 50 to 55 mph during most of the trip.

The cost of tickets you should of gotten in theory cancels out the good gas milage. :p:

What type of double are you using?

Back