What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Not with that transmission. Needs a 60* bell housing, which is what my 700R4 has, so it needs to be a GM based engine. The only adaptors for that transmission are for the OEM 4.0.

My thought was to use the 3.7 and 6R80 trans from a 2017 or newer F150. The sideways 3.7's and other V6's have internal water pumps, I have no thoughts to ever own one of those. I wonder if "they" would let you use the F150 or Transit engine in the Explorer, with you telling them it's from a late Explorer. They can take the same external parts, I'd figure they would go by your documentation for buying the donor engine.

The ecoboost engines all have the turbos mounted low and to the side, most likely those would interfere at the frame and/or UCA's. I'd try the NA 3.7 first, for that the upper intake may be too close to the AC box. If it would go in, shifted forward as much as possible, fabbing the engine and trans mounts might be the hardest parts to do, plus wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the VIN of the donor vehicle so they can verify where the engine came from. If the Transit is classified as a UTILITY, then it would be fine to pull a engine from one and put it in a Explorer. Best thing to do is call and speak to a BAR representative who inspects vehicles with swapped engines.

No emissions testing here in KY since the early 2000s. When they did do it; back in the 90s, guys would take thier old cars to see how it would do. Properly tuned Model As were passing. Albeit just barely.

They really put your truck to the test, either that or the noise is the tires? Do they run it through the full RPM band? I've not ever had to take a vehicle, so I have no idea how the process works. Im sure Cali has its own unique rules over other emissions states as well?

They don't redline it, but they do run it through the gears.

For the diesel test they actually redline the motor several times to measure for exhaust opacity:splat:

They don't redline it, but they do run it through the gears.

For the diesel test they actually redline the motor several times to measure for exhaust opacity:splat:
Wow, that's unnerving. In theory, the machine should be able to take it. But the thought of someone abusing my vehicle just stirs rage in my soul.. they wouldn't like my dad's 99 Jetta diesel with over 300K miles on it! Its not bad, but does leave a slight haze behind it.

Today I put silicone on my windshield. Seen a leek from what I believe is the timing chain cover. It's leaking antifreeze. I sure hope it's not mixing with my engine oil.

IMG_20211209_101850510_HDR.jpg IMG_20211209_101830987_HDR.jpg IMG_20211209_101826586_HDR.jpg

I did the same thing around the windshield on the '93. But I used 3M Windo-Weld sealant. The black stuff. Never leaked again.

Good thing your truck is white. Leaky windshields are no fun. I happen to have the tools to remove and reseal them, but its still not a trivial matter.

Ha ha I was only trying to fix the sky leek with the silicone not the cover. Also yeah I am really glad my truck is white because I thought the stuff was going to be clear. I was " like well white on white that's not going to be to bad". It's definitely not fun when you have water dripping down from the inside of your windshield. I think 100 percent silicone should seal pretty well I will let you guys know how it goes. I might drive my Explorer to Kansas from CA soon to visit my grandpa. I tried to remove a windshield from a S10 before. Windshields will be avoided by me if possible.I won't try to take them off😒

Ha ha I was only trying to fix the sky leek with the silicone not the cover. Also yeah I am really glad my truck is white because I thought the stuff was going to be clear. I was " like well white on white that's not going to be to bad". It's definitely not fun when you have water dripping down from the inside of your windshield. I think 100 percent silicone should seal pretty well I will let you guys know how it goes. I might drive my Explorer to Kansas from CA soon to visit my grandpa. I tried to remove a windshield from a S10 before. Windshields will be avoided by me if possible.I won't try to take them off😒
Its the old story of that having the right tools makes all the difference. I can have a glass out in about 5-10 minutes. But I still don't like doing them. They seem to break when you're just getting ready to pull it. I will say, window weld is some awesome $--t.

Its the old story of that having the right tools makes all the difference. I can have a glass out in about 5-10 minutes. But I still don't like doing them. They seem to break when you're just getting ready to pull it. I will say, window weld is some awesome $--t.
Yeah when I tried to pry on the windshield it would crack so quick. I think it takes some patience to do that. Getting one out in ten minutes sounds pretty good. I know a good quality tool can be a game changer when it comes to certain jobs. A good tool can do good work for many years. I like a good pair of vise grips.

Yeah when I tried to pry on the windshield it would crack so quick. I think it takes some patience to do that. Getting one out in ten minutes sounds pretty good. I know a good quality tool can be a game changer when it comes to certain jobs. A good tool can do good work for many years. I like a good pair of vise grips.
Modern vehicles have the glass glued to the body with a urethane substance. That's what window weld is. It applies like caulk to the body then the glass gets pushed into it. The stuff is super sticky and cures to a rubber like consistency.

The tool i have is used to separate the glass from the urethane. Its like a sawzall with a really short stroke. The blade is about 3" wide and flat. You use water as a lube and work the blade around the perimeter of the glass from inside the car. Once the seal is separated you can pull the glass with suction cups.

Back on the forum researching again tonight.......kinda pissed off as I've got some weird symptoms going on from the engine. Basically had to pull over as the engine started to sputter and I had to keep my foot halfway down to stay at 35mph. Pulled over, rough low idle, different from PCM issue though, no smoke, no knocking, no CEL, full oil (needs changed though, unrelated), now can't even get it to start.

So tonight, the X is sleeping in another parking lot, tomorrows payday so I'll finally be able to afford a tow truck again.

A bit befuddled because I knew getting gas was in order as I'm low, 256 miles on this tank, but that's still below 290 - I can hit over 300 miles on a tank, so something is up. I know a regular scheduled tune-up is coming soon, just have not had time or money to do that yet.

Right now, the hypothesis is any one of the following
- fuel send (original to the truck....if it is, might actually have it towed over to drop the tank and then I'll have a gas gauge again, so a bonus)
- fuel filter - easy, probably needs done
- plugs and wires - tune up time
- something electrical....

Then the one thing I fear most, albeit baseless, is something up with the engine proper that is either not having the typical symptom. I get that this is a 30 year old truck with over 300-400K on it, but I'm not exactly well heeled enough to replace, and while 4.0L V6s are plentiful. I also don't have the space/tools/help to be pulling engines and going THAT deep.

Back on the forum researching again tonight.......kinda pissed off as I've got some weird symptoms going on from the engine. Basically had to pull over as the engine started to sputter and I had to keep my foot halfway down to stay at 35mph. Pulled over, rough low idle, different from PCM issue though, no smoke, no knocking, no CEL, full oil (needs changed though, unrelated), now can't even get it to start.

So tonight, the X is sleeping in another parking lot, tomorrows payday so I'll finally be able to afford a tow truck again.

A bit befuddled because I knew getting gas was in order as I'm low, 256 miles on this tank, but that's still below 290 - I can hit over 300 miles on a tank, so something is up. I know a regular scheduled tune-up is coming soon, just have not had time or money to do that yet.

Right now, the hypothesis is any one of the following
- fuel send (original to the truck....if it is, might actually have it towed over to drop the tank and then I'll have a gas gauge again, so a bonus)
- fuel filter - easy, probably needs done
- plugs and wires - tune up time
- something electrical....

Then the one thing I fear most, albeit baseless, is something up with the engine proper that is either not having the typical symptom. I get that this is a 30 year old truck with over 300-400K on it, but I'm not exactly well heeled enough to replace, and while 4.0L V6s are plentiful. I also don't have the space/tools/help to be pulling engines and going THAT deep.
Definitely start by checking fuel pressure. If you were having engine mechanical issues, there probably would have been some sort of knock or other mechanical noise associated with the poor performance.

Get a couple gallons of fuel and put it in the tank, then try to start it. Two of my trucks have inoperable fuel gauges. I usually fill up at 200 miles to give myself a buffer.

Well its nothing I did to my explorer, but rather what chemistry did to it. I went to load the truck with supplies for camping this weekend and I couldn't get the gate open past my bumper/tire carrier. I thought I'd just adjust it for clearance. You know, maybe that last trail obstacle adjusted it for me. Nope, not that easy. The body has moved. The mount has dissolved and the metal it mounts to has turned into an oxide of its former self. For you guys out west, cherish your good fortune. For here in the rust belt, cars are severely punished just for existing!

The spring shackle in the pic is a little more than a year old! I will probably be building some body mounts soon.

IMG_20211210_084055353.jpg IMG_20211210_084023068.jpg

Okay, I guess I'm the i-d-10-t on this one......kinda glad I'm being stupid in this case, but hey, that's what 3 hours of sleep gets you...

So lunch comes around, I get this idea to just try gas...who knows....maybe it'll fire.....

So I drive the Yota over to the station, fill er' up, fill up a 2 gallon gas can, head to the X, and proceed to put 2 gallons into the X....

Prime, first time, no dice, second time....primes and fires right up like nothing happened...so I guess the X was just "hungry".

Drove over to the gas station crossing my fingers - $80 and 19 gallons of gas later, I'm really feeling stupid.

So apparently what happened was I did not factor in I've been spending the past 2 weeks sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the evenings for sometimes 40 minutes hardly moving....that'll kill your gas mileage and thusly maximum miles on a tank quickly. Both of the best routes are like this...kinda sucks. Almost tempted to try the off-road trail I know of nearby as a faster route, at least i"ll be moving.

Modern vehicles have the glass glued to the body with a urethane substance. That's what window weld is. It applies like caulk to the body then the glass gets pushed into it. The stuff is super sticky and cures to a rubber like consistency.

The tool i have is used to separate the glass from the urethane. Its like a sawzall with a really short stroke. The blade is about 3" wide and flat. You use water as a lube and work the blade around the perimeter of the glass from inside the car. Once the seal is separated you can pull the glass with suction cups.
Huh yeah that weld stuff sounds pretty good. I know glass is a hard material to stick to. That sounds like a good way to cut the seal apart!

Okay, I guess I'm the i-d-10-t on this one......kinda glad I'm being stupid in this case, but hey, that's what 3 hours of sleep gets you...

So lunch comes around, I get this idea to just try gas...who knows....maybe it'll fire.....

So I drive the Yota over to the station, fill er' up, fill up a 2 gallon gas can, head to the X, and proceed to put 2 gallons into the X....

Prime, first time, no dice, second time....primes and fires right up like nothing happened...so I guess the X was just "hungry".

Drove over to the gas station crossing my fingers - $80 and 19 gallons of gas later, I'm really feeling stupid.

So apparently what happened was I did not factor in I've been spending the past 2 weeks sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the evenings for sometimes 40 minutes hardly moving....that'll kill your gas mileage and thusly maximum miles on a tank quickly. Both of the best routes are like this...kinda sucks. Almost tempted to try the off-road trail I know of nearby as a faster route, at least i"ll be moving.
Good deal! That beats a tow and really being embarrassed when the shop tells you its out of fuel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow.
The one I used as a donor looked better than that.
That's the norm around here. I did cut up a 91 several years ago. It came out of Michigan and had about 85000 on it. The interior was perfect, but the frame had rotted so bad i didn't drive it home. I trailered it as I didn't trust it to stay together, especially if it got hit.

Back