what kind of mileage do you all get ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what kind of mileage do you all get ??

AA7KN

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, Texas ( home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4.0
Callsign
AA7KN
hello, i have a 1996 Explorer with the 4.0L V6 engine, with automatic transmission, and 68,249 mikes on her. it runs great and I love my Explorer. I get about 259 miles on a tank of gas, and was just wondering what kind of Milage other folks are getting so I know if mine is doing good or not. so lets hear them...tell us your milage espicially if you also have the 4.0L OHC enging and automatic transmission.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@AA7KN I get pretty close to that, even running 33s. The rough math shows a fraction less than 15 mpg. I have a couple more miles than you (about 125k more), 4.0L SOHC, auto. Where'd you find a '96 with under 100k? That thing's gonna last another 50 years, at that rate!

Also, miles per tank is not fair unless you know what size tank you run... I have the 2-door, which means the 18-gallon for me.

Edit: I forgot some of the basic deets the others mentioned: I have a K&N high flow intake; 4.10 gears; my trips are about half city, half highway; I never go much faster than 60 mph. Taking the spare tire off the roof immediately improved fuel economy.

Mine is a 1999 Sport 4.0 OHV 2WD and I live in coastal GA where it's all flat.
A few years ago, when first moved here and lived downtown for a little while, I used to get 14.9 Mpg. Now out here on the Islands I get around 16.7 Mpg. On longer trips all on the Highway it's 19 to 20 Mpg. When parking at a mall in the heat with the AC running I get 0 Mpg.

With the V8 I get 15. No matter what. 15 in the city. 15 at 75 on the highway.

You’ll get significantly better mileage at 55 on the highway. The drag at 75 is immense...nearly 25% worse fuel economy for a normal passenger car, I believe. It’s definitely more for a boxy SUV.

I don’t have much data on my V8, but it seems to be as fuel efficient as my V6. Time will tell. My V6 I regularly get 21+ mpg on the highway, and that’s with a full Whelen lightbar on the roof. But I drive slow...gentle acceleration and 55mph.

I wouldn’t drive 55 in a 70 if I got 100mpg. When I became concerned about fuel economy it was apparent caring about it in an Explorer was a little moot.

hello, i have a 1996 Explorer with the 4.0L V6 engine, with automatic transmission, and 68,249 mikes on her. it runs great and I love my Explorer. I get about 259 miles on a tank of gas, and was just wondering what kind of Milage other folks are getting so I know if mine is doing good or not. so lets hear them...tell us your milage espicially if you also have the 4.0L OHC enging and automatic transmission.
thanks
I get about 16 gallons city and 18 and 19 gallons highway even flying I do have an sohc engine that has 186,000 miles on it and it don't effect it any

I noticed when I put a free flowing (K&N) air filter In my 98 5.0 i got a lot better gas mileage. At least that’s what the On board computer told me.18-19 in city

New injectors in my mustang 4.6 took it from 14-15 to 18 MPG too so maybe run some cleaner or change the injectors and a K&N air filter if it’s important to you

About 15 mpg with a 4.0 and P23515R...
added-3:73 differential

The 3.73 gearing produces better fuel economy than the older 3.27 gearing which was common. Ford learned that in the 1993 range finally. A 91 Explorer typically has 3.27 gears unless the buyer optioned something different.

I drove my 93 Limited to SD(1100 miles) in about 2002(the tire recall was announced while we were on the trip). That truck(4WD) got 20-21mpg going up, and about 19mpg coming down. That was at our normal speeds(5-15mph over the speed limit). Coming back was worse because we gave a ride to an aunt of mine, with a large load of her stuff. My old 91 Explorer never got near 19mpg on the highway, it had the 3.27 gears(and 2WD).

The SOHC 4.0 has good potential, but the gearing better not be too low or high, I'd say 3.55 would be best for highway, but 3.73 is the most common(except for 4WD that made them 4.10's).

Drive it like you stole it, and use only regular gas if you care about fuel costs. Run premium if you don't care, another $0.60 a gallon isn't much.

The 3.73 gearing produces better fuel economy than the older 3.27 gearing which was common. Ford learned that in the 1993 range finally. A 91 Explorer typically has 3.27 gears unless the buyer optioned something different.

I drove my 93 Limited to SD(1100 miles) in about 2002(the tire recall was announced while we were on the trip). That truck(4WD) got 20-21mpg going up, and about 19mpg coming down. That was at our normal speeds(5-15mph over the speed limit). Coming back was worse because we gave a ride to an aunt of mine, with a large load of her stuff. My old 91 Explorer never got near 19mpg on the highway, it had the 3.27 gears(and 2WD).

The SOHC 4.0 has good potential, but the gearing better not be too low or high, I'd say 3.55 would be best for highway, but 3.73 is the most common(except for 4WD that made them 4.10's).

Drive it like you stole it, and use only regular gas if you care about fuel costs. Run premium if you don't care, another $0.60 a gallon isn't much.
That's what I've done lol

96 OHC auto 4x4 four door... 17-19 mpg. Check engine light is on. My best I think was 25, and that was using cruise control as much as possible, no A/C, no speeding, on a two hour drive.

'97 SOHC 4x4 towing package 290,000 miles, 20 mpg.

97 SOHC, tow package, 3.73 gears, wide 32 inch tires, 545k miles, ... 20-22 mpg highway. (But I drive fairly slow.)

Drive safe and take care.

thanks
Sounds about right. I have a 2002 Ranger 4x4 with 174K on it and depending on how heavy my foot is and how many highway miles I drive I get about 15mpg in town and 17.5-18 on the highway if I keep the speed at 65mph. RPM's at 2,700 or higher my mpg drops significantly.

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Ham, KA2PFL and N2GUU here. Not what you asked. but our 1994 explorer purchased new gets around 15 -19. Sticker says 21 and got close to that on the highway before they started putting ethanol in our fuel.

I dunno, speedo stopped working a while ago. 95 Sport with manual trans and 32" tires with 3" straight thru muffler and exhaust (added baffle to quiet it down a bit). K&N FIPK also. Crappy mileage when I first installed exhaust, but seems to be more normal now. Not a daily driver, so more concerned about utility vs. mileage.

thanks
Mine is an 02 with the 4.0 running LT265/75/16 with no corrections and my math has me around 12.5mpg with 195,000 miles on her and cleaned injectors and a k&n cold air

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks
I have a 98 explorer, sohc, and has under 20k miles (yes original) and I got about 15 mpg , averaging 75 mph highway. That was before I went to a km washable air filter, suspect it's slightly higher now..

Back