What's the slot in the center console for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the slot in the center console for?

Mk3

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 2wd XLT
98 XLT, on the front surface of the center console/arm rest, there's a slot. Someone told me it's for Kleenex. Wtf? Is that true?

So I began wondering what other people use it for. I just have a lame hole in the arm rest but imagine the possibilities...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It also can hold a gun nicely :D

What griff said
kleenex juniors fit in there
Slide your change holder up. and the box of juniors fits in there.
300.jpg

When I first got my x I had no clue what that slot was for either.

Heres an idea, run your ipod connector cable (if you have one) to the slot. If you want to hide your ipod you could make a cut in the size of the ipod and then take some plexiglass, tint it and then put it in the slot then put the ipod behind it and there you go a hidden (seen when you turn the radio on)
ipod

Ford put that there for all their stoner customers, so they remember where they keep their weed.

That's a great idea Jamie had. I hadn't decide about what to do with my Keg. I thought that I'd look at fitting it in the lug wrench pocket over the rear wheel.

It's for a tricorder.

:>)

It is for kleenex.

JP

You learn something new every day. I was reading a post the other day about where to get the tissues and I had no idea what hold he was talking about. I don't have the slot in mine. I always thought Ford had used it for a parking break lever. I guess I never paid any attention. lol

My console has a 6-disc changer in it. However I did find the Kleenex box place!!!!! yippie!!!!! Thanks Explorer Forum!!!!! Uhhhhhhhhhh wait I have a Expedition (Explorer on steroids) btw kleenex is under the lid!!!

My console has a 6-disc changer in it. However I did find the Kleenex box place!!!!! yippie!!!!! Thanks Explorer Forum!!!!! Uhhhhhhhhhh wait I have a Expedition (Explorer on steroids) btw kleenex is under the lid!!!

On 02s and up, it is. Gen 2 I think it was in front of the box.

JP

I've got a flashlight in mine.

i know i'm about the 10th person to say this, but it's for kleenex. when you buy the truck new, it comes with a box. mine (97) still has the original box cause i'm afraid to use them. haha. and i'm just leaving the box in upside down until i find something to put there. maybe switches if i wasn't afraid of someone getting curious and lifting out the change holder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was not uncommon for cars in the early 60's to actually have an option for a swing out box under the dash for a full size box of kleenex brand facial tissue. I had a 63 Impala that has this option. Actually said kleenex on it. That item alone is probably worth a few hundred right now.

FYI, the new Beattle and its flower vase, Henry Ford had that in the Model A Victoria, as well as a wind up clock in the rear view mirror.

Whats old becomes new again.!

Back