Which brand of tires do you run | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which brand of tires do you run

Which brand of tires are you running

• BFGoodrich

Votes: 226 27.6%
  • Interco

Votes: 27 3.3%
  • Mickey Thompson

Votes: 11 1.3%
  • GoodYear

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • Pro Comp

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Firestone

Votes: 33 4.0%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 52 6.3%
  • Michelin

Votes: 116 14.1%
  • Pirelli Scorpion

Votes: 45 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 154 18.8%

• Total voters
Well, after 20-22K miles, my GoodYear MTRs wore down enough to be replaced with a set of Interco Radial SSRs. After a few weeks on road and one solid off-road trip to Paragon..... I love my SSRs!!! :thumbsup: The SSRs are a much better bang-for-the buck than my MTRs - and perhaps any other very aggresive off-road, mud-style tire out there - cept maybe the Interco TruXus MT. Here's why:

1. Financially...at $50 less, per tire than the MTRs, the SSRs are much easier on the wallet.

2. Noise... The SSRs have a different hum than the MTRs, but they are are NOT louder. If anything, I think they may be slightly quieter. (Although, in all fairness to the MTRs, I am running more pressure on-road in the SSRs than I did in the MTRs.)

3. Size... At 285/75R16, the MTRs were a true 33. The SSRs are BIGGER! These things are closer to 34s.

4. Looks... NO CONTEST!! It's hard to beat the classic, hard-core aggresive styling / looks of a Swamper!!

5. Traction... Traction is NOT an issue with the Radial SSRs!!! My X definitely got better traction on the trails with the SSRs than with the MTRs. (However, in all fairness to the MTRs, I now have a PowerTrax No-Slip and I aired the SSRs down lower than I did the MTRs, so I can't provide an objective comparison.)

Hope this helps!
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

quick and easy...Dueler a/t revo's great treadwear for the milage driven i just drive too many miles!!!

Poll closed to stop poll spammers....you CAN still reply to the thread though.

One way to determine who builds what is by the DOT code, and through the DOT code, figuring out who *owns the plant* where the tires were made.

Here's an example, and a link to accomplish this.

On every tire built, there's a DOT code. It is stamped on the sidewall up near the bead. Ususally on the inside of the tire. It looks like this: DOT 0B XO C60 1004

You're looking at the first two digits after the "DOT" in that DOT code. In this case, it is "0B" Then, go to this site, to look those two digits up.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

So, in our example, despite what "brand" the tire says it is on the sidewall, the tire was built at the Bridgestone/Firestone plant in Wilson, NC.

Firestone makes tires with the brand names of "Duralon", "Harvest King", and "President" to name a few.

Also, the last four digits gives crucial information as well. In our example, the last four digits are 1004. That means that the tire was manufactured in the 10th week (10) of 2004 (04).

If the last four digits only happens to be three digits (example '458'), that means the tire was built in the 45th week (45) of '98 (8). Ths was changed to the current 4 number sequence at the beginning of the year 2000.

Great info DevilDog, learn something new everyday! Was familiar with the date codes but not the plant codes. Thanks for posting.

Back