Who is going to King of the Hammers (KOH) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is going to King of the Hammers (KOH)

Im in the same boat Colin. I am starting to come around though.

Course info is out!

Main course is 65 miles of desert with Martel and Elvis sandwiched in....first real trail is down Jack, up chocolate thunder. Up wrecking ball, down claw, up lower and upper big johnson, down boulder dash. Some desert. Down resolution. Down backdoor. Back to camp.

End of first lap...85 miles.

Second lap add down spooners, and up outer limits.

I have never seen Jack but I would think going down should not have many issues and Choc. Thunder is a short easy trail. Wrecking Ball is going to be nuts. Spooners and Outer Limits will be ones to watch too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Stic-o...I'll loan you a battery..;)

..I'm debating on heading out tomorrow or saturday morning...Just got home from San Diego and need to get the X ready and do some chores first..:rolleyes:

..If anyone is needing anything brought out such as parts or whatever from my general direction, let me know..

I lost respect for Ricky Bobby a long time ago. Should be interesting to see how he does and what his attitude is like for this race.

Yeah, I don't really have an opinion on the guy but it does make the race interesting whether you like or hate him. We'll see if he can dial it down for the rock sections or destroy the car.

Brian hope to see you out there, we usually have a knack of bumping into each other when you come to Cali.

..Stic-o...I'll loan you a battery..;)

Thanks Ted, I'm already using my Dad's loner, which is now toast as well. (both about same age) I'll I know is I have 3 dead red tops sitting in my garage...Guess what I'm not buying anymore of:mad:

I'm picking up a new battery this weekend. I just can't get the time off work now.:(

..That's why I swapped to yellow tops..:D

..Sorry to hear you won't make it but I'm sure there will be plenty of pics posted..

..Btw...on the way home tonight I heard we might be getting rain soon..Anyone hear anything or is it another pass over storm?

..That's why I swapped to yellow tops..:D

..Sorry to hear you won't make it but I'm sure there will be plenty of pics posted..

..Btw...on the way home tonight I heard we might be getting rain soon..Anyone hear anything or is it another pass over storm?

I heard Tuesday or Wednesday for Rain.

Brian just jinxed it...

...The Big W started blowing last night at my house..Now I'm pretty sure I know who made it snow in the middle of the Mojave desert last year...:p:

Heading out Saturday morning. Mike Boyle is already out there. Should be interesting, 7 days in a tent out there. Ill take the R over the W. It will keep the dust down.

I'm heading out tomorrow as well probably around 9 or 10am.

..I'm pretty much done loading the X up..

..I will be out there between 9-12 to scout it out and get the logistics of everything this year...Got the camera and GoPro set up and am hoping it's not so crowded for the stockers Sunday...

...I'm bringing my fridge with my new little safari grill out and plan on testing it's capabilities so if anyone wants to meet up say between 3-6 tomorrow afternoon, bring your own meat and eating utensils...:biggthump

...I shall be on cb channel 10 primary, channel 4 secondary, running around in my X...:burnout:

I am hoping to get out of Fresno by 8am. With gas and pulling a trailer that should put me out there around 2pm. Get camp setup and then go wonder around.

Our camp should be easy to find now! We will have the only stretch limo on the lakebed! :D And by some off chance there is more than 1 look for the one with the roof top tents.

Sitting in PHX airport now. Almost there...

..I got out here about 10:30-11..

..Wind blowing and you knew to head toward the dust bowl..The air was cold and by 12:30 it was toasty on the lake bed and not a breeze...Breeze is trying to pick back up..

..The town is more spread out this year and I am way to early...Hardly any vendors have shown and the ones that did are just setting up..probably about 10%..and I don't really know were all the stockers are for tech..:dunno:

..There is a parking lot in the middle of the road when you turn onto Boone...It's just for firewood..:rolleyes:..You now pay at the bridge past the dogleg going in so if you need to get around someone, go for it..:burnout:

...And there is already a good Ranger presence and they are watching the road for over 25 mph posted, speeders..:shifty_ey

...Ran into DB_1 already and he and I both have no cell service on the lakebed but, I'm running on channel 10 still and have to go over to Landers small store to get online at all..BTW, pizza shop is not open at all this weekend..:thumbdwn:

...:scratch:..waiting for the limo with the RTT's and Robbie Gordon...I forgot who flew in by helicopter last year but I figure "Brian1's Crew" and Robbie Gordon shall be making grand entries..:p:

We are setup just across Boone from where hammertown is. Limo will probably be in tomorrow sometime. No real plan tommorow besides wandering on course somewhere to cover the action. I have 3g and good coverage around hammertown.

..Not sure where you are at..:scratch:

...If you keep going past Hammertown along the pits, we are on the right at the end next to about 8 flatbed trailers at the edge of the lakebed...as if you were leaving the last pit road heading out to Chocolate Thunder..

..Stationary vehicles are a grey Dodge dually with a camper next to a red super duty with a long white trailer...Thats Mike and Crew...Matt, Dave, and my vehicles are right behind them..

...Long race for the "Everyman Challenge" which is the stock and the pro stock class...You definitely need a pre-runner to keep up as they are spread out all over this year and the jumbotron is not set up for this race...:dunno:

...I don't think there is a Ford in the stock or pro stock class...All heeps and a couple rare toys in the field..:rolleyes:

...Did see a couple badass newly built Rangers though...

MoabB2...Need a little more description of the Raptor as there are only a few dozen of them running around and as for stretch limos', there shall be a couple at least of those out here including one thats a landcruiser from what I've heard..:shifty_ey

Just got home after having a tasty mexican dinner with Matt, Ted and Brian in Yucca. It was nice to get out of the dust and freezing cold on the lakebed. When we got up this morning the temp display in my truck said 22 degrees, I imagine it was slightly cooler than that overnight. It warms up nicely around 11am though.

Also ran into mounty71 on Chocolate Thunder this morning, him and his dad were out there for the day trying to find some race action like we were.

There was a good amount of people on the lakebed but this afternoon they really started filing in. I can only imagine how crowded it will be as the week progresses.

Some random pics...some around Hammertown, stock/stock mod race, Chocolate Thunder and a few of Matt and a Jeep we were camped with on Clawhammer:

Attachments

• DSCN1361.JPG
    DSCN1361.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN1364.JPG
    DSCN1364.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN1366.JPG
    DSCN1366.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN1383.JPG
    DSCN1383.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 178

Pics Cont'd:

Attachments

• DSCN1384.JPG
    DSCN1384.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN1363.JPG
    DSCN1363.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN1362.JPG
    DSCN1362.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 169

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last ones for now:

Attachments

• DSCN1375.JPG
    DSCN1375.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN1376.JPG
    DSCN1376.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN1374.JPG
    DSCN1374.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN1379.JPG