Would adding an “EXPLORER” emblem to hood of my 2021 Limited increase the chances of paint bubbling in front end of hood? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would adding an “EXPLORER” emblem to hood of my 2021 Limited increase the chances of paint bubbling in front end of hood?

GoGetter58

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
I’m thinking of adding an “EXPLORER” hood emblem to my 2021 Limited. I did this to my 2017 Limited when I got it. I’m wondering if the emblem increases the chances of the common problem of paint eventually bubbling in the front end of the hood? I’m wondering if at higher speeds when the wind hits the letters it’s applying more pressure to parts of the hood eventually resulting in the paint bubbling up. Seeing if anyone else has thought of or experienced this? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Adding the letters should have no impact on the hood corrosion. The corrosion was due to iron contamination of the aluminum hood panel. Testing revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part before it was painted. So in reality, the corrosion was from the inside out, so to speak, and therefore the bubbling was created.
I'm not aware of this issue happening on the 6th gen Explorer.

Peter

I think it would create an extreme amount of wind drag...;)

Thank goodness it doesn't appear the 6th gen has any issues with paint peeling. Pretty confident in saying that issue has been resolved since the plagued 5th gen and other Ford's like the expedition.

If the emblem is raised much, it might create wind noise. Then again you might not hear it in the cabin.

It won't cause any issues with the paint bubbling. However, it might give Ford a reason to deny your claim if any paint issues arise.

Our sport pak Ex had the emblem it did nothing other than kind of look like a Land Rover front end. We traded to the Timberline Ex and now run a Autovent shade bug deflector. The AVS is sleek and sits flush with the hood. I actually like it better than emblems. You should not have any issues with the emblems on the front end of the Ex.

I’m thinking of adding an “EXPLORER” hood emblem to my 2021 Limited. I did this to my 2017 Limited when I got it. I’m wondering if the emblem increases the chances of the common problem of paint eventually bubbling in the front end of the hood? I’m wondering if at higher speeds when the wind hits the letters it’s applying more pressure to parts of the hood eventually resulting in the paint bubbling up. Seeing if anyone else has thought of or experienced this? Thanks!
I don't think you'll run into a problem at all.

I can't see how it'd be any different than the OE option on the XLT or ST.

Back