yey!! im done 91 explorer on full widths done.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yey!! im done 91 explorer on full widths done....

k guys here how it went.....

front end:
hp dana 44 (from 79 f150)
rear 4 in lift springs from the f150, but we took out 2 leafs...
used steering from the f150
moved the axle forward 3 inches...

rear end:
ford 9in from same truck
moved the axle back 3 inches...

it turned out real good, all we need to do is get driveshafts which will be done tomorow....

will post pics tomorow when i drive it home:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea sorry guys i guess heres teh build total:

got the entire truck with axles for $350
all 4 new rims $400
mounting tires $35
work and labor $1000 bucks

total $1785

but i sold my 8.8 for $450

new total: $1335

Nice build. what tires are you planning on running?

nice..im also curious about what tire size ur gonna go with

Looks Sweet! Nice build.. :)

looks good! im with the other guys though... what size tires are you going to run?

Nice job man, beefy lookin' How does it ride??

if you dont want those front shackle hangers to bend put some thicker plate on the sides.

um...looks like you have shackles on BOTH ends on the front..your axle will slide forward and backwards 8in from end to end...thats not good...not controlable..and your driveshaft wont work..if it flexes forward the driveshaft will fall out...if its long enough to NOT fall out..when it compresses back..it'll drive the shaft into the transfer case..breaking it..

EDIT...nevermind..the side view shows the fronts welded solid....I need a new glasses prescription..

lookin good...

yea guys there is no front shackles, it flexs super good ill get some pics of the necxt run i still need to make a front driveshaft, i put the old 35s on it for now but next on the list are some 37in mtrs, i need to add a sway bar cause we took out so many leafs taht its kinda crazy to drive on the street but it flexs good enough to make up for it, ill take some pics with the rims and 35s on it cause it looks a bit better than with the 31s...

snoborder- the plate on the side is 1/4 thick, do you think i need any thicker than that???

yup. Ask section 525 about his shackles. Mine are 3/8 and have slightly bent.

k here are some pics on the 35-12.50-r15s they are still way to small......

i think if you click them they will get bigger, let me know what size tire i should run....any ideas on lower shock mounts on the axle, we just welded a bolt and i have already broke both sides so i need a stronger alternative...

how should i reinforce them....cause i dont have any front shackels i could just box them right??

shock mounts are easy, just get a piece of 3" od something to trace the radius on, copy that over to a piece of 1/4 plate and cut out about 1/4 of the overall circle, then make some kind of tab off of that with a 1/2 hole for the shock bolt.

As for reinforcing, I would look around at premade shackle hangers online and try and copy those designs, most are shorter and keep the spring closer to the frame which makes it harder to bend.

alright ill look into, thanks for the shock mount idea to ill do that tomorow.....how about some shock hoops what should i do to mount them to the frame???

looks good, box the hangers, what did you do to the fender, and weld the hoops to the frame...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to the ford dealership and ask for ford superduty shock mount, they will be diamond shaped and made of cast steel, about 50 bucks for the pair. Get them, cut off your old coil bucket, remount the brakelines and weld those shockmounts in place of the old bucket (after measuring for new shocks of course.)

Tack them to the frame, then heat the whole thing (frame and shock mount) with a torch till its hot, then fully weld them on. Once they are welded, heat them again with a torch (briefly) and then let them cool.

You do that because your welding cast steel, and it needs to be preheated and cool slowly so they wont become brittle and snap off. Trust me, I know.

Back