Kirby's Spare Time Sucker.... 1995 Full Size Bronco Solid Axle Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kirby's Spare Time Sucker.... 1995 Full Size Bronco Solid Axle Swap

Kirby's Spare Time Sucker.... 1995 Full Size Bronco Solid Axle Swap !!PICS!!

This is where I have been putting in all my time lately. It is going to be sweet when it is done. I thought I would share. It is my buddy Phils rig. He has been driving it for a few years. It has never been modded at all ( OK, we built him a bumper a couple of months ago). He has never even had a lifted truc. He is determined to build it right the first time! He is doing all the research and the grinder work, rebuild work, etc. I am just there for experience, moral support, and welding. He has done an incredible job planning it out considering he started gathering parts a year and a half ago. It has been down for about 2 months now. We did the rear first.

Specs:

Rear- Stock 8.8. 4.56 Yukons, Aussie Locker, Sky Shackle Flip, Ruff Stuff Spring perches, welded axle tubes, shock mounts cut and turned for extra clearance

Front- 1977 F150 Dana 44 (1/2" axle tubes) Fully rebuilt with all new bearings, ball joints, seals and a paint job.

6" Deaver Coils, Yukon Chomo Shafts, 4.56s, Yukon Superjoints, Warn Premiums, Ballistic fab poly/ flex joint on trackbar, Chevy TRE conversion, Threaded DOM Tie Rod, drag link, trac bar, and Tera 2.5" Johnny Joints on the Radius Arms, Stock f150 Coil Buckets. Full height. Probably stock Super Duty upper shock mounts too, but we haven't decided quited yet.

He also has a new set of 35" BFG Mudders he will be running.

Unlike explorer swaps, the Tranny crossmember has to go on these full size swaps. The front driveshaft can't move with down travel at all really with the stocker. That caused us to have to build a crossmember for the tranny, and we decided we might as well attach the radius arms there too.

BroncoCrossmember.jpg

BroncoCrossmember2.jpg

The Radius arms are fully plated with 1/4" flat stock, then the threaded stud was ground smooth and a piece of small DOM was slid over it and plug welded in two spots as well as the ends. Then another piece of DOM was threaded for the Johnny Joints and bent in the bender to keep the link mounts near to the frame rail and to make the mounts paralell to the frame. It was plug welded in two spots and of course on the end. They are 15" extended over stock.

BroncoArms.jpg

Side Shot As it sat tonight:

BroncoSideShot.jpg

Now we are working on the tracbar. We are using Ruff Stuff brakets top and bottom. The tracbar will need to be bent to clear the crossmember/ steering box. We hope it will be done by the end of June. More to come...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it was a fun trip. a chilly one too. Glad the bronco worked out great. Looks sweet I like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the bronc has stood the test of time. Much wheeling, much road time. It did eat a poly tracbar bushing in moab. That has been the extent of the non body carnage! The Radius Arms are holding up well. We did switch to a different spring. The Full Size Bronco guys rant and rave about the 6" deaver springs. I don't know why. They were too tall and way too stiff. Maybe good for a road warrior:rolleyes:. Anyway we swapped in some BC Broncos 6.5" with winch coils like I am running on my explorer. Now they are supple, travel well, and it sits 3" or so lower which is much more useable on the trail.

Here are some more recent pictures of the suspension cycling with close ups of the clearance of the trackbar etc. We are really happy with the orientation of the shocks, the trackbar clears the diff perfect and the springs stuff/ droop nicely.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IT clears 37" MTRs no problem!
IMG_0236.jpg

Agreed. It hasn't yet though:dunno: Maybe we need to wheel the life out of it more!

It does and it is keeping it in there. You can see the tab over the lower coil loop on the inside of the loop.

Back