2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can steer with a couple fingers on bends in the road and use my palm on turns with no problem. If you got a power steering fault message, it stores a code. The dealer is full of crap if they said there were no codes. Only way to clear them is disconnect the battery or use a code reader to clear the memory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

peterk9,

Thanks for the acknowledgment. I filed on 9/18/13. By the way I used my point and shoot camera to twist this 75 year old body to take a picture if the location of the key code; worked like a champ.

Now another question or problem-----my steering feels stiff, with the old (1998 explorer) I could steer with two fingers and track like a cat; 2011 both hands on the wheel, the steering is NOT smooth. Anyone else notice this? or am I being picky.

Soggy (we only get 37" of rain/year)
It's been raining here all day but it is better than what is going to be coming. As blwnsmoke indicated, the steering should not be stiff at all. Although I'm still a youngster (going on 67) I too can steer with just a finger or two but I don't make it a habit. ;) It may all have to do with your original issue.

Peter

I can steer with a couple fingers on bends in the road and use my palm on turns with no problem. If you got a power steering fault message, it stores a code. The dealer is full of crap if they said there were no codes. Only way to clear them is disconnect the battery or use a code reader to clear the memory.

In this case it doesn't leave any codes in the memory (I'm pretty sure, anyway).

Sold my Exploder today. It's a good day. No more Ford products for me - worst customer service I've ever experienced.

My first post and it is a problem. "steering assist fault" or something like that at 70 mph is scary. I'm 75, and this scared the hell out of me. I just bought this with 32000 miles in San Antonio, TX. On my way back to Seattle, in eastern Washington, BAM; no steering. Took it to the dealer in Prosser, WA...

Hi soggyseattle,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help. All I need to proceed is a PM from you with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

Newbie here, but this just happened to me today it caused to hit the rumble strips and scared the day lights out of me. Vehicle is a 12 explorer. I guess this a common problem with them.

Still shaking...!

Newbie here, but this just happened to me today it caused to hit the rumble strips and scared the day lights out of me. Vehicle is a 12 explorer. I guess this a common problem with them.

Still shaking...!
Welcome to the Forum Vicfox.:wavey:
Unfortunately it is a problem with the 5th generation but I don't think it is what would be classified as 'common'. It began with the 2011 model and has carried through to the 2013 model. I don't believe there have been any reports yet about the 2014 having this issue but it could just be because they are still a fairly new model. I guess time will tell.
If you haven't already, I strongly urge you to fill out the report for the NHTSA. A link to that can be found in my post #613.
Good luck and get it to the dealer ASAP.

Peter

Peter, you work for Ford?

Peter, to say this isn't a common problem, you must work for Ford. I get at least 1-2 messages on this forum a week about it failing for yet, another driver. For anyone to state this isn't a common problem, well, I'll go with Ford employee because the other option is not suitable for posting.

Peter, to say this isn't a common problem, you must work for Ford. I get at least 1-2 messages on this forum a week about it failing for yet, another driver. For anyone to state this isn't a common problem, well, I'll go with Ford employee because the other option is not suitable for posting.

First this post is quite rude.

Second, Peter is a forum moderator so I'd watch exactly what and how you say things to all of them. There is zero reason to attack a person on here regardless of who they are or what they say.

Third, you have 7 posts since you joined, Peter has 5,100. Easily recognizable on who actually participates on here daily and is here to help other people. Peter is constantly posting, redirecting and helping other members out here and is very valuable.

Fourth, this is NOT a common problem. Of course everyone who has this issue is going to post and everyone who hasn't won't. Am I worried about this failing, yes, it is always in the back of my mind but facts are facts.

There is less then TWO THOUSANDTHS of a percent failure rate with these. that is 0.0025 failure rate. That is not a common problem in my eyes. Ever since the 3 issues were found, that rate has dropped even more. Is there still something wrong, yes I believe so considering I haven't read reports of other Ford models with EPAS systems failing.

Newbie here, but this just happened to me today it caused to hit the rumble strips and scared the day lights out of me. Vehicle is a 12 explorer...

Send me your info, Vicfox; I want to look into this. In your PM, include your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

blwnsmoke, I very much appreciate your kind words and your post in general. When I first received notification of jkm1228's post in my inbox, I was going to reply that everything depends on an individual's interpretation of the word "common". I, like you looked at the big picture when I posted my reply. I mentioned to Rick when agreeing to take the moderator's job that I had 12 years of refereeing hockey under my belt so that I'm perhaps a little more 'thick skinned' than some others. It is difficult at times to not take a post personally but you sometimes have to try and understand where the poster is coming from as far as their experience with an issue or their perception of an issue. I hope that all members take that into consideration when replying to posts. After all we should all be here to help each other as best we can.
Thanks again and if I have to leave the moderator's job, maybe I'll recommend you for the position.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

Been following this forum since I had my first EPAS failure in May 2012 on my 2011 Explorer. The gear was replaced in June 2012 when it happened a 2nd time. Compared to some on this thread my dealer could find the trouble code even after it cleared on a restart. They also found a replacement gear in 3 days. So far so good after 18000 miles on the new gear.
Yes, I did file an NHTSA complaint. Also spent some time reviewing the Ford documentation that was supplied to the NHTSA and is posted on the NHTSA website for their investigation of this problem. Following the Ford Email chain, this was a problem with root cause teams chasing it in January 2011. Root cause went from relay contact corrosion to ribbon cable and connector issues. Big time disappointment that this problem continues even on 2013 models. Where are the Ford 6 sigma Black Belts? Ford in their NHTSA response as to why this isn't a safety issue (?) quotes 5.6 in 1000 failure rate. Someone in this thread seemed to think that a failure rate of this magnitude would be considered low. Not to me. Sorry, but this is a 6 sigma world striving for failure rates of 3.4 in a million. Ford should try quoting 5.6 in a 1000 failure rate in their ad's. Toyota would love it.

Well it is a common enough that I found this thread almost immediately.

Any how.. has any one been offered a solution besides a complete rack and pinion replacement. The dealer said they could reflash but there was no guarantee it would prevent it from happening again.

Very frustrating.

Well it is a common enough that I found this thread almost immediately.

Any how.. has any one been offered a solution besides a complete rack and pinion replacement. The dealer said they could reflash but there was no guarantee it would prevent it from happening again.

Very frustrating.

Don't bother with a reflash. That hasn't fixed anyone's. It needs to be replaced.

Don't bother with a reflash. That hasn't fixed anyone's. It needs to be replaced.

Well... according to the regional customer service rep I was put in touch with through FordService on here, I should go with the re-flash and chance it happening again.

Well... according to the regional customer service rep I was put in touch with through FordService on here, I should go with the re-flash and chance it happening again.

It's your vehicle and you can do whatever you'd like. I can tell you that whatever this "reflash" is, it is not an updated program file.. it will be the same program the vehicle already has.

I can also tell you that with 33 pages of discussion on this issue, not one has been solved by a reflash. Every vehicle has had to have it replaced.

My last comment was made with complete sarcasm I don't expect the reflash to work and I fully expect it to happen again.

I was just stating what a great job ford customer service did to help me resolve the issue. (Again sarcasm)

My last comment was made with complete sarcasm I don't expect the reflash to work and I fully expect it to happen again.

I was just stating what a great job ford customer service did to help me resolve the issue. (Again sarcasm)
Ford Customer Service can only put you in contact with the appropriate people to look at your issue. They do not perform the work that is required to address the issue. The Ford Customer Reps on this Forum and the IVT Forum have helped many members and we are very fortunate to have such an avenue available to us. I think your issue should be with the dealer and/or the service department.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, sorry, it is sometimes hard to read someone's tone on here. I commend the reps on here trying to help but what they can do is over limited. I guess in this day and age with forums and social media, they have to have people on here to try and publicly smooth things over.

For me, they have always been successful in helping me but that is because I have a great service writer and service dept. The CSM usually won't make exceptions and just goes by what the tech says.

Back