Multiple suspension noises | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Is that Canadian Law?
No that is from the Owner's Manual but as blwnsmoke mentioned, it has more to do with installed features to limit noise. It was the only thing in the Manual that I could find regarding noise. There was nothing in there regarding noise cancelling systems that I could find.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was driving through Queens last night and between bumpy roads and stop and go traffic I swear the sound is similar to what I hear when I'm constantly on and off the breaks moving 3 feet at a time... I'm still thinkings its something with the active traction control.... though turning advance trak all the way off didn't do anything...

Regarding the noise issue. Going back in my memory bank, a friend of mine had a early C6 Corvette, 2005 Coupe with automatic. He had weird clunking noises coming from somewhere under the car. He put it up on a lift and tightened every not & bolt he could see and get access to. Noise was gone ! I just wonder if any of the folks having the current noise issue have done this. I don't mean the Ford people but the owners doing it themselves.

I believe these are 2 totally different things. The Explorer has a noise canceling system that plays certain frequencies to cancel out other frequencies for a quieter ride.

Peter, I believe your post refers more to modifying noise systems with the exhaust (making vehicles louder).

Where would we find out more about the noise cancelling? Does the radio have to be on or is it independent?

well, first off, its and autocorrect of "AdvanceTrac"

"The automatic ControlTrac four-wheel drive system can be coupled with AdvanceTrac electronic stability control, which includes four-wheel electronic traction control. The combination of these two systems is innovative due to a vehicle equipped as such, can continue to move forward with only one wheel having traction.[7] AdvanceTrac's four-wheel electronic traction control system uses the vehicle's four-wheel four-sensor four-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) and is programmed with additional anti-slip logic to simulate differential locks via aggressively "brake locking" either the front or rear drive axle differentials. By ABS brake locking the front and rear differentials, up to 100 percent of torque can be sent to any one drive wheel, allowing the vehicle to keep moving, even with two of its drive wheels (one front, one rear) completely off the ground.[7]"

so it make sense to me that if its software controlled and its sensing the tires slipping over the small bumps it could be aggressively trying to counter it... which could be the noise. My bet is that above a certain speed it follows a different set of rules... and obviously wouldn't do anything when the vehicle is stopped or on smooth roads... or a single bump...

WOW Now I know !! Will see how this plays out.
well, first off, its and autocorrect of "AdvanceTrac"

"The automatic ControlTrac four-wheel drive system can be coupled with AdvanceTrac electronic stability control, which includes four-wheel electronic traction control. The combination of these two systems is innovative due to a vehicle equipped as such, can continue to move forward with only one wheel having traction.[7] AdvanceTrac's four-wheel electronic traction control system uses the vehicle's four-wheel four-sensor four-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) and is programmed with additional anti-slip logic to simulate differential locks via aggressively "brake locking" either the front or rear drive axle differentials. By ABS brake locking the front and rear differentials, up to 100 percent of torque can be sent to any one drive wheel, allowing the vehicle to keep moving, even with two of its drive wheels (one front, one rear) completely off the ground.[7]"

so it make sense to me that if its software controlled and its sensing the tires slipping over the small bumps it could be aggressively trying to counter it... which could be the noise. My bet is that above a certain speed it follows a different set of rules... and obviously wouldn't do anything when the vehicle is stopped or on smooth roads... or a single bump...

If anyone has a video of this noise, please post it here. I have that sound, slight clunking noise, pluk, pluk, pluk, very noticeable only when driving 15mph -45mph in slightly uneven pavement did not have it on my 16 sport.

Otherwise the truck is a beast and I will not trade it in for anything else.

If anyone has a video of this noise, please post it here. I have that sound, slight clunking noise, pluk, pluk, pluk, very noticeable only when driving 15mph -45mph in slightly uneven pavement did not have it on my 16 sport.

Otherwise the truck is a beast and I will not trade it in for anything else.

That's the noise I hear as well... its repeatable on the same roads... at the same speeds... but does not happen at higher speeds or lower speeds... and no sounds if stopped and you rock the vehicle... it has to be an active system and not something physical...

So.. i think I may possibly have the noise that everyone is talking about. I've been noticing what I would describe as a "thud" when going over bumps in this 20-45mph zone. I notice it on the back roads traveling to my house where there are frost heaves so the suspension gets a little bit of a work out. With the radio off, I definitely hear a thud thud thud when hitting multiple frost heaves in a row.

Would this be what everyone else is hearing?

Last edited:

So.. i think I may possibly have the noise that everyone is talking about. I've been noticing what I would describe as a "thud" when going over pumps in this 20-45mph zone. I notice it on the back roads traveling to my house where there are frost heaves so the suspension gets a little bit of a work out. With the radio off, I definitely hear a thud thud thud when hitting multiple frost heaves in a row.

Would this be what everyone else is hearing?

Sounds like the same issue as everyone else. Has anyone heard back from the dealers yet ? Seems like Ford would be putting something out regarding these noises/thuds or what ever ! I just drove up from Tampa to Atlanta and everything was fine on the interstate. As soon as I got on the side roads doing about 20-30 mph the suspension noise started.

Nothing from Ford yet as far as I know. Our repurchase takes place next Monday. Moving up to an Expedition based on the rebates and 0% financing Ford is offering on remaining 2019s, in addition to a very generous additional rebate offer from Ford as a result of the repurchase. It’s a little bigger than we need, but will come in handy the next few years for a few long trips web have planned, in addition to hauling around gear and kids for baseball. Hopefully Ford has worked out this issue when we want to go back to an ST!

We have the 2019 Expedition Limited with a couple packages. Love it. Almost 10K miles on it and not a noise or problem yet. Wanted to get into the 2020 Explorer but won't go near it now. Going to take a serious look at the KIA Telluride. So much more, far better warranty and at least 10K less money.

We have the 2019 Expedition Limited with a couple packages. Love it. Almost 10K miles on it and not a noise or problem yet. Wanted to get into the 2020 Explorer but won't go near it now. Going to take a serious look at the KIA Telluride. So much more, far better warranty and at least 10K less money.
If you can find a Telluride, other than some of the base models that is! We looked at those, but I have a hard time paying $3k to $5k over sticker for a KIA! That’s if you can get your hands on one. Ordering would have taken 3 to 4 months, but we need a vehicle now. Found a Limited Expedition with the Special Edition package (22 inch black wheels, towing , convenience package) for about $12k under sticker, then throw on the $2500 Ford retention offer and $500 Farm Bureau rebate, and it was too good to pass up.

Many dealers do MSRP deals. Some not so much. I'll never do a deal over MSRP. That being said I have the luxury of time. Looks like you got the same expy I did although I got mine last February at dealer cost with a couple rebates. I was happy with my deal too.

I heard the same clunking noise that you did. At least, based on your description, it sounds like the same issue. Mine was towards the front driver under side of the vehicle. I took mine to the dealer and they found a loose subframe bolt. It was a one-time use bolt, so they had to pull it, order another, and install it. The installation of the new bolt seems to fix the issue. I'm going to try and upload a picture of the report from the dealer.

View attachment 175037
I gave the dealer the copy of your service invoice to help diagnose my vehicle. It is the same noise and I hope the same fix. In dealer today /12/23/2019. This will be the 2nd attempt at finding and fixing this annoying issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gave the dealer the copy of your service invoice to help diagnose my vehicle. It is the same noise and I hope the same fix. In dealer today /12/23/2019. This will be the 2nd attempt at finding and fixing this annoying issue.

Lets hope this is a good fix !!

Back