How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

I've just recently picked up a 2nd Gen 2000 XLT in the UK, currently on 102k miles and I plan on seeing how far I can push that, wonder how many years I can get out of the old girl?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and enjoy the ride. Post some pictures too, we love seeing them.

How did you find that truck, and how many Explorers are around there?

Welcome, and enjoy the ride. Post some pictures too, we love seeing them.

How did you find that truck, and how many Explorers are around there?
I found it on facebook marketplace, I might be wrong but I think there are only about 400 left in the UK

Which engine is in yours? 5.0, 4.0 SOHC or 4.0 OHV (showing "4.0 EFI" on upper intake) ?

Which engine is in yours? 5.0, 4.0 SOHC or 4.0 OHV (showing "4.0 EFI" on upper intake) ?
I think all of the exported Explorers were 4.0 SOHC's, none were the 5.0's.

I've just recently picked up a 2nd Gen 2000 XLT in the UK, currently on 102k miles and I plan on seeing how far I can push that, wonder how many years I can get out of the old girl?
Scouse,

Keep the oil changed, drive with care, and keep the maintenance current… then you ride these as far and as long as you want. Although these trucks are clearly not the most economical vehicles, they are also clearly less expensive than new car payments.

These are tough and versatile trucks.

Good luck, and drive safe.

Scouse,

Keep the oil changed, drive with care, and keep the maintenance current… then you ride these as far and as long as you want. Although these trucks are clearly not the most economical vehicles, they are also clearly less expensive than new car payments.

These are tough and versatile trucks.

Good luck, and drive safe.
If i can even get it to half the mileage you’ve got yours to then I’ll be very happy. I’ve just had it serviced by @blueka and will be replacing the control arms and link bars then time to start going on some adventures

I've got a 97 UK Spec XLT with 117k on it, awaiting a new engine (SOHC)
98 imported Eddie Bauer 5.0 V8 RWD with 250k on it,
2000 "The North Face" SOHC with 77k on it

Si

Keep great synthetic oil in the 4.0 SOHC, and change it before 5k miles no matter what. I think the only SOHC's that haven't had major timing chain issues, are those which had great oil constantly. The valvetrain doesn't do well at all with dirty oil, old oil, or lower quality oil. The newer car 7500 and 10k mile oil changes are bad for these engines, it's another item owners get to use an excuse to forget the maintenance stuff.

Spark plugs are now common to find with 100+ and 150k+ miles, the first owners never changed them because of the OEM recommendations. They forgot about them as a perceived don't worry about it part. The next owner does the same thing, they figure they are parts that don't wear, and they neglect to check them. I've bought two of those so far, my last two 98 302's.

Both my Mounties had the factory Bougicord branded wires, which I thought was odd because everything else had been maintained according to factory schedule or better. By 100k it had 2 trans fluid and filter swaps, the transfer case was done twice, and they did the power steering and brake fluid once. It’s probably why at 150k it never skips a beat. Only thing I’ve done is a ball joint, and the infamous water pump, and the rear pinion seal. It’s due again for transmission fluid and differential oils. I’m holding off as it’s semi-retired awaiting time, and money, to start modifying it.

Both my Mounties had the factory Bougicord branded wires, which I thought was odd because everything else had been maintained according to factory schedule or better. By 100k it had 2 trans fluid and filter swaps, the transfer case was done twice, and they did the power steering and brake fluid once. It’s probably why at 150k it never skips a beat. Only thing I’ve done is a ball joint, and the infamous water pump, and the rear pinion seal. It’s due again for transmission fluid and differential oils. I’m holding off as it’s semi-retired awaiting time, and money, to start modifying it.

That's how my 98 Mounty was, 98k miles and everything was in great shape. But I needed it in 2006 to deliver mail for a while(built my 99), and that was hard on the suspension. I had to do that soon, and then a couple of years later a miss began, one day. I tried not to drive it much while I rarely hunted the issue. It ended up being a nearly new Accel coil pack, and limited driving caused gas tank corrosion, a plugged sock. So my latest two were neglected trucks, needing tons of items, both. So my Mounty sets, still waiting for some love. I like it the best, all doors are tight, though rusting slightly at the bottom seams, nicest interior(taken care of).

It's all interesting, and now the old car issues begin.

Been off this forum for awhile - I retired and am now busier than ever! I just did the 325,000 mile oil change on my '97 5.0 Eddie Bauer I bought in 1999 with 29K miles on it. It's my work truck for the car ministry i volunteer with - drive it almost every day! Carry around all my tools, etc so only get 12-13 MPG, but I'm good with that as only put 5-6K miles a year on her now. Even pick up the occasional donor car for the ministry with our tow dolly. Most everything still works; still has original engine and tranny. Overall - the best vehicle I have ever owned!

My recently purchased 2000 Mountie has 129000 miles on it.
Nice find, low miles! It's surprizing how many have recently bought a 2nd gen Explorer/Mountie...guess the word is out these are worthwhile!

Nice find, low miles! It's surprizing how many have recently bought a 2nd gen Explorer/Mountie...guess the word is out these are worthwhile!
Well I was looking for a pickup or SUV and favoring a lYukon/ Tahoe or Escalade but none came up at a reasonable price so when this Mountaineer popped up I jumped on it and the fact that it had the old school V8 didn't hurt either,,😎

Well I was looking for a pickup or SUV and favoring a lYukon/ Tahoe or Escalade but none came up at a reasonable price so when this Mountaineer popped up I jumped on it and the fact that it had the old school V8 didn't hurt either,,😎
Pretty similar to my case, previous car died and I wanted a 4x4 - used prices already getting higher going into March this year when I got my 98 Ex with 170K on it!

My '99 Exploder XLT has just under 217k on it. But I think that the trip and odometer are off so I can't 100% that. Plan to test it though.

It's been nearly 4 years since I've posted on here.

The 98' Limited just turned 264k miles. Runs great, doesn't leaks anything and still knocks down 20mpg on the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I guess I'll update too. My '99 is out of commission though, 4.0 sohc classic timing chain issue. But she had 227k when I stopped, been sitting since now. Still cranks okay though, just ain't happy about it 😅

Back