Cab lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbrads12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I have a 1999 expo, and im trying to install some cab lights on the roof. I already have them mounted, but im not sure where to wire them to. i heard you can splice them into the headlamp switch near the steering wheel, but theres many wires so which color??

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Splice the relay from your lights to the high beam switch. Therefore when your highs come on so will your lights. Do this all the time at work.

I have a 1999 expo, and im trying to install some cab lights on the roof. I already have them mounted, but im not sure where to wire them to. i heard you can splice them into the headlamp switch near the steering wheel, but theres many wires so which color??

Thanks in advance!

personally, I would wire them to the battery using a relay, fuse and sufficient gauge wire. below is a link to free wiring diagrams for your truck.

free wiring diagrams:
You can find one at http://search.ebscohost.com/. Use RRCC and rebsco when signing in

what color wire will that be though? im new to this so im just afraid im gonna splice the relay to the wrong wire and thats gonna screw everything up

Get a cheap LED test light. Then trace back from a parking light bulb connector. Ground the test light using the clip. Negative battery is OK if you don't know where to ground such as block, frame etc. Now you are set to probe the harness, either by unplugging or piercing. The LED will light red for positive and green for negative. Tap into the positive, and wire that to the relay. And as koda mentioned fuse the light power from the battery to the relay. The tap is just to fire the relay. So basically you tap the parking light, and when you turn your lights on, a small amount of voltage is sent to fire the relay, which energizes your auxiliary lighting.

Also I failed to mention there are some good how to threads on the forum, Kazer and another member did up their 3G explorers. They turned out great they have pictures and instructions.

I just installed a sun visor yesterday that had lights installed on it, when hooking it up I was told the same thing to wire it to the headlight switch. I remember being told brown/white wire, but that was an always-on wire. What ended up working was the red wire, it was obviously the thickest wire going to the switch. That should let your aux lights come on when your headlights are.

Back