Who can "chirp" their wheels? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who can "chirp" their wheels?

my OHV can leave 2 black marks..like 5ft long from a dead stop no brake stand..w/31s..but i havent tryed sense i went back to stock exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

coach_al said:
Ran a Diag test. Found code p1000. I have had this code for a while. I thought it was to reset itself. It means, I think, the OBD cycle is not complete. I decided to disconnect the battery and will leave it overnight. I will reconnect in the morning. How should I drive it when I reconnect. Agressively or easily. As I understand, the Computer needs to relearn.

If I remember correctly I think I got that code when I disconnected my EGR stuff. You might want to check your EGR sensor, EGR solenoid, DPFE, or EVAP vacuum connections. Maybe one of them came loose. That may also lead to a rich running condition due to the engine getting unmetered air and trying to overcompensate. Look at the EGR stuff. You can also clear the codes with the Xcal2 instead of unplugging the battery FYI.

Cats have 100K Miles

How do I confirm if my Cats are clogged? Not throwing any codes. What is the useful life of Cats?

I can easily lay patch from a stand still without power braking. I also have 20s. My power adding mods are intake, headers, exhaust and SCT flash. I do have a question though. I noticed in your mod list you show "new wires" but our V8 engines don't use spark plug wires. Am I missing something?

NaplesBill said:
I can easily lay patch from a stand still without power braking. I also have 20s. My power adding mods are intake, headers, exhaust and SCT flash. I do have a question though. I noticed in your mod list you show "new wires" but our V8 engines don't use spark plug wires. Am I missing something?
You are correct. I went to PEP boys and did a 100K tuneup. It was a standard package, I assumed that there were wires in the tuneup. After looking at the receipt. There were no wires included in the "Package".

Well it's a good thing it wasn't on the receipt or you'd have been ripped off. LOL

my 91 will leave a 15 foot mark is you turn a corner and floor the pedal but from a straigt go it sucks

NaplesBill said:
Well it's a good thing it wasn't on the receipt or you'd have been ripped off. LOL

Teeheehee. I would laugh my azz off if someone tried to replace the COP wires that are like 2" long to try to squeeze out more HP. hehehehe. :p

I am under the impression that with the 2002 and up explorers the computer automatically adjusts the torque between the front and rear wheels, and will adjust to a 50/50 split depending on the TPS before the wheels will slip to prevent slipping.

if that was confusting, if you are at a stand still and you mash the gas, the computer will automatically engage the front axle before your wheels slip to make sure they don't.

FWIW, my buddies 2005 AWD aviator with the 300hp 4.6 won't chirp the tires off the line.

Chirping

With my stock 92 Explorer I can smoke the Tires with a breakstand, and around corners, I can slide it out with the best of 'em but from a stand still no chirping, unless it's wet then I can sit and spin for a while. Only things that've been done to the truck are Trailmaster SSV shocks, radius arm bushings, front brakes and the normal filter changes, oil and that kinda stuff. Plus Two 10" MTX subs and a 600 watt Sony Xplod amp, and a Clarion Head unit.

I can I can!! Of course it is a Sport with a 5 speed manual.. :p Makes those ricer kids eyes real big.. :lol:

It seems evreybody on the entire site can chirp or burn there tires exept you.....

Brentburtrum said:
I am under the impression that with the 2002 and up explorers the computer automatically adjusts the torque between the front and rear wheels, and will adjust to a 50/50 split depending on the TPS before the wheels will slip to prevent slipping.

if that was confusting, if you are at a stand still and you mash the gas, the computer will automatically engage the front axle before your wheels slip to make sure they don't.

FWIW, my buddies 2005 AWD aviator with the 300hp 4.6 won't chirp the tires off the line.

Good first post! I am not too familiar with the new gen auto 4wd systems but I do know that the 2wd Explorers of 02-03 don't have any kind of torque management whatsoever. Now the 04+ do, 2wd or 4wd regardless, because of their TBW systems just like the 05 Mustangs have now too.

rocket 5979 said:
Good first post! I am not too familiar with the new gen auto 4wd systems but I do know that the 2wd Explorers of 02-03 don't have any kind of torque management whatsoever. Now the 04+ do, 2wd or 4wd regardless, because of their TBW systems just like the 05 Mustangs have now too.

I have wondered that.. my 04 4.6v8, refuses to spin unless very very wet.. it seems to retard the ignition or something so that it won't step sideways on a downshift.. which is great if you are a soccer mom. :D Which I am not. :p

Brentburtrum said:

I do not have AWD. Need to get a good mechanic to give it the once over.

Wish I still had my '97

Brentburtrum said:

Yes you are correct when you slam on the gas torque transfers to the front before the car even moves to prevent any slippage, but only a maximum of 500pnds.

The X is actually always in 2wd mode unless you slam the gas off the line or loose traction in another situation. When your cruising its in 2wd mode or floored down a straight its in 2wd.

Here is the best link I have found on tech data for the early X:

http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Utility/02-explorer/powertrain.html

It is a VERY effective system. When I was 100% stock even with tires, I would go into dirt roads and literally brake/gas to about 1,700 rpm's and let go of the brake to try and get the system to spin and it was amazing how well it just hooked and felt like I had NO wheel spin.

I came out of a turn one time while it was raining and floooored it when I was about half way through the turn, a 90 degree turn from a dead stop, and she pitched sideways and I never look back, I kept the gas to the metal the entire time and when the rear end became parallel with the front tires now going straight she stayed that way and went straight as an arrow. It hooked the front wheels just enough to avoid a fishtail. I love this thing.

Back to the real subject... ill let you know if I chirp next week after I break my new motor in.... I think im going to hear snap before a chirp..hehe

coach_al said:
How do I confirm if my Cats are clogged? Not throwing any codes. What is the useful life of Cats?

I had one clogged cat an I lost all power... I would gas it and it felt like I was trying to drive under water.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a bad cat, looked plugged and it was really rough inside, so my buddy did the only reasonable thing, iron bar and a sledge hammer:)

Made a big differece, still past my e-test just great lol. Dont try this though...

Back