Section525's Hydro Assist | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525's Hydro Assist

I'm thinking about using another V8 tranny cooler and a PS cooler. Good idea? Bad? What about another reservoir?
Yah man I'm using a 1st gen's transmission cooler for mine. Rick said something about his original cooler not working with his hydro system so he switched to another (Howe or something like that) and that worked fine. So I guess the only sure way is to try it out.

As for the reservoir, I think a coolant overflow reservoir would work. I havent given this much thought but if I can't find anything to work, I'm just going to the grocery store and pick out a can container thats going to require as little modifications as possible and weld two barb fittings (pickup and return) to it.

Just a note, make sure you place the reservoir higher than the pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so whats the status on this? Did you have to modify your steering pump by any chance?

Explorer To-Do

#01 - Extended Rear Brakeline
#02 - Install Rear Locker
#03 - Install new master cylinder
#04 - Install new front brake lines
#05 - Fix front locker
#06 - Build new shock hoops
#07 - Shock tabs on Axle
#08 - Swap out transfer case
#09 - Tow hooks
#10 - Cut and turn axle
#11 - Tap steering box, install hydro assist
#12 - Install winch

:(

#13 - Build Froader's bumper
#14 - Install Froader's winch
#15 - Fly IZ out to the next T-haven run

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :eek: I'm working on this again?!

Yup. Decided to get off my behind and get this assist going. The front locker can bring the suck when turning blah blah blah. Let's go.

I'm using this how-to for tapping the box. I got my Dad to make up the hoses today. 3/8" with two 6 SAE 90's on the ram side and one 1/4" NPT 90 and one 1/4" NPT straight on the box side. After seeing how small my ram was, he said he probably could have made them in 1/4" to save on space. But said the 3/8" would have less resistance. I have the room, so lets get this on.

The box is out, the pitman is finally off. If the kids allow it, I'll take the box apart tonight and drill and tap. Otherwise it'll happen in the morning. Everything else is done aside from the tabs on the leaf spring mount. So if all goes well this will be in and done manana.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 439

If you haven't got the tap yet, when you do get it, make sure it's a bottoming type tap if your going to drill into the vein, otherwise any tap will do.

um......wanna make me some hydro lines too? lol

finish this up so i can copy it.

Got the box tapped and it went pretty well. The top was definitely easier than the "O" on the "Toyota". But it's done.

I had the box in place and then tried to put the lines onto the fittings. That didn't work out so well as the fitting is super close to the AC compressor and I couldn't get a wrench in the rat's nest of junk up there. So I pulled the box back off and secured both lines. That's pretty much where I left off. Either tonight or tomorrow the box will go back on, and the tabs get welded for the ram. Then, I have to track down that tie-rod clamp I made three years ago. Sounds easy enough. But it took me four hours to tap and get the lines on the box. :eek:

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 403

um......wanna make me some hydro lines too? lol

finish this up so i can copy it.

I was at Tractor Supply here in town and they had pre-made 36" and 48" hoses in 1/4" and 3/8" for about $12. I was thinking about picking one up to keep in the tool box as a spare.

I'll also get a price on the costs of having these ones made up. I'm sure its cheap as well.

I was at Tractor Supply here in town and they had pre-made 36" and 48" hoses in 1/4" and 3/8" for about $12. I was thinking about picking one up to keep in the tool box as a spare.
What kind of ends (JIC, NPT, etc..) ?

I'll also get a price on the costs of having these ones made up. I'm sure its cheap as well.

interesting...think it work alright?

edit, theyre NPT fittings with a 3500 psi working rating...not like i know what that means though lol but sounds like its adequate.

Well I got everything reinstalled last night at about 2 after the kids went to bed. It was going well until the input shaft housing started to leak. $&%#*!

So I have to pull it all back off and see what happened. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up permanently.

interesting...think it work alright?

edit, theyre NPT fittings with a 3500 psi working rating...not like i know what that means though lol but sounds like its adequate.

If memory serves i think the stock pumps are putting out like 1500 PSI :scratch:
(waiting for IZ to correct me)

Well I didn't get to do much at all this weekend. Between the kids and a family reunion we had in town it was a pretty jam-packed couple days. I'm thinking I should just order a rebuild kit for the box since I'm going to have to take it off and apart anyways. That'll probably put me at next Friday before anything can be done. :( But we'll see..

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 367

^errrr.... I don't think that's going to work:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my FJ60 box, the seals was all crap.. and when I took it apart to tap it, that just destroyed them the rest of the way.

I did find just the seals at a local bearing shop..

Back