2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyways.....
Our explorer has been in the shop since 8/30/12 awaiting a new rack. My case has been escalated by Cory (thanks!) and a CSM named Kim has contacted me to introduce herself and to say that she has placed an emergency order for a new rack.
As far as a loaner/rental car goes, I've been told that I'm just sh@t out if luck because I dont have an extended warranty. The clowns at the dealer told me to call ford to see what they could do, ford tells me to call Kim, Kim won't return my calls and when she does, she says that it's up to dealer to provide a loaner. Wtf!?!
Just this week the dealer finally told me what I've read in this forum all along, that it's back ordered until 11/19/12. So according to the dealer, Kim and Ford I'm to do without a car until freaking November.
I think after this is all over I'll trade the POS in and go foreign.

Long time Ford customer until 2012,
Chris
I don't know how this is being handled. I keep reading about this back ordering into November but then I read posts where some owners are getting the parts replaced within a couple of weeks.:dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how this is being handled. I keep reading about this back ordering into November but then I read posts where some owners are getting the parts replaced within a couple of weeks.:dunno:

Peter

I don't know either. But needless to say its more than frustrating. Maybe the other posts here the parts were found at another dealer nearby. My only fear there would be is the rack at a nearby dealer out of the same batch as the ones that are failing?
I just wish I could get the vehicle back so I could get on here and argue about who's right, who's wrong and who just DGAF..... :D

Chris

No loaners?!

I had this problem in July. They had my Explorer for 3 weeks. The dealer did not provide me with a loaner but Ford did. The witch that works in service didn't want to help me though. I advise you to talk to the service manager, he has taken care of me everytime. The 6 times I have had an issue with this car and I have had to deal with her she asks if I have an extended warranty, when I say I don't she shuts down. Last time she told me money from a rental comes out of her personal pocket?! Why would I buy an extended warranty when the regular warranty isn't up? After all the problems I have had with this car, I don't know how much longer I'm going to keep it so why waste my money on an extended warranty?

I could go on and on about how unhappy I am and even though the power steering is supposed to be fixed, I still don't trust it. Dealer can't tell me if they replaced rack with new design or same faulty one I already had.
Recall it already!!

It’s very important to me that this is resolved once and for all, guys. For those who haven’t already, please send me your credentials (VIN, approximate mileage, contact information, and dealer name/state) so I can escalate to your regional Customer Service Managers.

He's doing all he can with what power he has...
...Cory has helped many of us out (3-4 times with myself) many of times...
I really appreciate everyone’s kind words.

Cory

Ford statement regarding EPAS (Power steering failure)

I received an email from Department of Transportation this morning wanting me to answer more questions about my incident. They also included part of the statement Ford has released:

“Ford believes that loss of power steering assist in the subject vehicles does not present an unreasonable safety risk in these vehicles based on the following reasons: 1) low customer complaint rate of 2.5 complaints per 1,000 vehicles; 2) in the unlikely event of loss of power steering assist, the steering system will default to manual steering mode allowing the vehicle to be steered in a safe and controlled manner; 3) the mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the road surface is maintained at all times, similar to other steering systems, both hydraulic and electric, used by Ford and other manufacturers for many years, 4) drivers are clearly informed of a change in the status of the steering system via both an audible chime and the display of a power steering assist fault message in the instrument cluster; and, 5) the loss of power steering assist is unlikely to be associated with
accidents at higher speeds because the amount of assist supplied is greatest at low speeds, such as during parking lot maneuvers, and reduced as vehicle speed increases.”

If you have had this issue please make a complaint with the government:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

This is dangerous and it is not a cheap fix if it happens to go out when you are out of warranty.

Unlike what the statement says. My incident was at a low rate of speed while crossing traffic. The warnings did not alert until the power steering wasn't working just making the situation more confusing.

Cory, I have no issue with the dealer and my car is fixed so I don't feel the need to supply my info. I just would like to know if the rack is a different design.

I received the same email from DOT wanting more information and thoughts regarding Ford's response.

Since Ford "could not duplicate", I'll be sure to let the DOT know my thoughts.

I think one of the quick solutions Ford can provide is a reprograming of the system so it prevent itself from disabling the power assist and only keep the warning ( based on the fact that restarting the car will solve the issue that means, as many said it is an electrical error trigered by a mechanical malfunction ).
This will warn the driver without causing any panic . Just my two scents.

I think one of the quick solutions Ford can provide is a reprograming of the system so it prevent itself from disabling the power assist and only keep the warning ( based on the fact that restarting the car will solve the issue that means, as many said it is an electrical error trigered by a mechanical malfunction ).

Mine shut down 3 times and I was able to restart and regain power assist. The 4th time (The day before I was scheduled to take it to the dealership) it shut down and would not reset. I tried probably 20 times to no avail.

cnsheets said:
I received the same email from DOT wanting more information and thoughts regarding Ford's response.

Since Ford "could not duplicate", I'll be sure to let the DOT know my thoughts.

I did too. I answered all the questions they asked. Hopefully a recall will bloom out of all this.

CDNexp said:

Amen!!!

Finally today the regional CSM called and said that Ford will provide a rental car for me for 10 days. At the end of the 10 day period they (Ford) will review my case and see how soon the part should arrive. Our car has been in the shop now for going on 3 weeks, so I'm glad Ford is stepping up and handling this.

Chris

It’s very important to me that this is resolved once and for all, guys. For those who haven’t already, please send me your credentials (VIN, approximate mileage, contact information, and dealer name/state) so I can escalate to your regional Customer Service Managers.

I really appreciate everyone’s kind words.

Cory

Cory, how about that contact info? Please and thanks in advance!

Let me summarize for anyone else with this problem:

If you have this problem, then I'm sorry to hear about that.

1.) Go to the dealer immediately - your steering rack needs replacement.
2.) The part can take awhile as its backordered. Get a loaner from the Ford dealership. If they won't give you one or need other assistance, PM Cory at FordCustSrvc and he will attempt to help you.
3.) Also report it to the NHTSA.
4.) The problem is a manufacturing defect that has been corrected so your new steering rack should be fine.

Need to tone down the rhetoric guys or some Mod with less patience might not be so lenient.

2.) The part can take awhile as its backordered. Get a loaner from the Ford dealership. If they won't give you one or need other assistance, PM Cory at FordCustSrvc and he will attempt to help you.
4.) The problem is a manufacturing defect that has been corrected so your new steering rack should be fine.

That's really all there is at this point (unless I'm missing something)... the rest is just arguing over Ford's response to the issue.

1.) Go to the dealer immediately - your steering rack needs replacement. Did that, dealer could not duplicate...will not repair

3.) Also report it to the NHTSA. Did that too.

Need to tone down the rhetoric guys or some Mod with less patience might not be so lenient.

And that would be me. :nono:

Please keep the pissing contests and sniping off here. It doesn't help the problem and clutters up the thread.

Great summary...maybe Ford should hire you it seems like you grasp the problem and a solution....however there are a few problems with that:
1) What do I do if I have taken it to the dealer 3 times and they gave it back "fixed" and then it happens again and I almost crash?
2) The part is backordered because of the huge amount of exs with this issue. You will need to FIGHT to get a rental from Cust Svs and then ***** some more to get a larger-than-subcompact car while they repair these defective lemon death-traps.
3) Did that and my hopes aren't real high that a federal government agency will solve this problem...it is already too late for many!
4) I would not be so sure. I do like your choice of "should" in this sentence. The problem is FORD and they need to help their customers. I do NOT care some 5th tier supplier gave them a crappy part. People's lives are in danger and they need to take this more seriously and recall this immediately. I do not see how replacing a faulty part with a different faulty part solves the problem.

Oh yeah, does anyone know where to find the head of Ford Customer Service and their contact information? Phone? Address? Email? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...Cory, I have no issue with the dealer and my car is fixed so I don't feel the need to supply my info. I just would like to know if the rack is a different design.
Mireeves97,

My tech adviser informed me that better quality controls were put into place.

Cory, how about that contact info? Please and thanks in advance!
I don’t have access to this info, broncoford; I assist by escalating concerns and arranging contact from regional Customer Service Managers.

For those who missed my previous post, please send me a PM with your contact info, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN so I can help.

...so I'm glad Ford is stepping up and handling this...
I really like seeing your update, Chris; thanks!

Cory

Good to know, jrm, Thanks.

For those of you that experience this problem (cnsheets for example), I would encourage you to run a vehicle health report as soon as it is safe to do so (before turning off the vehicle if possible) This could give your dealership enough to conclude there is a problem even if the problem goes away and the error codes clear (which they shouldnt, but apparently sometimes are).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 is sitting at the dealer for the second time. The first time they by-passed some electrical connection and told it would fix the problem. Then a couple of weeks later it failed twice in one day. Made another appointment and took it back in. Now they are going to replace the entire rack. They told me there are 1,200 on back order. At least, they gave me a car to drive until it is repaired. May not get it back for a month. Filed the paper work with the NHTSA after the first problem which arrived on the same day it was going back in for the second time.

The service advisor I'm working with believe this will become a recall. I would argue if they try to charge you for it.

Back