• Register Today It's free!

Lifting just the rear?

skia4life89

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 LIMITED
I have some kelly tsr 31x10.50x15 and I love the height of the front and I want just about 1/1.5 inches in the rear. Can I just raise the back 1inch somehow? Has anyone ever done this? Like a universal lift block or add a leaf? I dont want to mess the torsion bars or shackles.

thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift block will only lower it since its spring under axle. Another viable option is add a leafs like you mentioned, or shackles, or getting your springs re-arched/replaced. I'd probably go the add-a-leaf method myself if your not into shackles..

i dont think the shocks would lift you any. the warrior shackles will put u at 1.25-1.50 of lift the aal will be closer to 2'' if i had to do it again id probably do the aal since it will settle down some hope this helps

Yea I'd honestly go AAL, shackles will cause the leaf springs to flatten or get worse over time. It may take more labor to install them but its worth doing the AALs

I sold my Warrior shackles and bought add-a-leafs (and still had money to go to lunch to celebrate my genius) and wish I had never bothered with shackles.

i know this is a bit late, but i have air shocks in the back of mine that will raise the arse end up a good 3 inches no problem. been running it like that for 2 years with my 31's. i tow with it, offroad with it. whatever I want. I bought shackles and never bothered putting them in because the air shocks do a solid job on their own and leave me the option to deflate them and drop back down to stock height if i need to tow a small trailer that is low to the ground.

$75

I sold my Warrior shackles and bought add-a-leafs (and still had money to go to lunch to celebrate my genius) and wish I had never bothered with shackles.

Really? What if you were to do the shackles and do the add-a-leafs?

I've already purchased these Monroe's below, and Rancho RS5000's for the fronts...

Then I'd have more lift than necessary. I don't like big gaps in the wheel wells. I'd also have a stupid amount of rake.

You could get fiberglass fenders like John Rock had. They sorta helped with the rake. But like Offtrac said it's more lift than necessary.

It may be better, or even necessary (I don't know), on the Explorer. Our wheel wells are larger on the Sport Trac. Not gonna search myself but I wonder if any Ex owners have done both. I only know why I don't feel the need to.

And here I was thinking I got a good deal on them. Good thing they werent for my truck and I didnt spend my money.

For 31s AAL is enough lift for an ex. At least I've seen others that run that setup.

for anyone interested, i have a set of monroe air shocks, and a set of shackles sitting in my garage. free to a good home if you will pay the shipping.

bought them for my 99 4.0 xlt 4x4. dont know for sure but they should fit most 2nd gens

For 31s AAL is enough lift for an ex. At least I've seen others that run that setup.

I fit 31's on my Ex on stock blown shocks and no AAL with no issues. Like I said above, I've already purchased the Rancho's for the front, and the Monroe Sensa Tracs for the rear.

I am looking for a AAL solution and possibly Warrior 153 shackles...

for anyone interested, i have a set of monroe air shocks, and a set of shackles sitting in my garage. free to a good home if you will pay the shipping.

bought them for my 99 4.0 xlt 4x4. dont know for sure but they should fit most 2nd gens

Are the shackles Warrior 153? If so, I will take them!

I ran 31s and 33s with TT and shackles.
Only problem with 33s was the amount of rubbing when flexing out was incredible

I used the monroe coil over shocks and gained a full 2" of lift,it has been 4 months now and still same height. I didnt even have sag before i added shocks.
I added 1" of TT but this is pic before I did TT
IMAG0325.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back