Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Jason,

i have this other car with a Viper remote starter (didn't come with the car), very simple, only 1 button, but when i press the button once, it starts the car, when i am ready to jump in the car, i press the button once again while the car is running and unlocks the doors, if while i am driving i need to stop and get off the car and don't want to turn off the engine, i press the button 3 times and i can remove the key from ignition, etc etc .... do you know if the same can be done with the explorer's 5 button remote? (regardless if OEM or chinamade) are there any different codes?

Thanks.

The full operation of the remote start system is described in the owners manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please add the model of your Ex to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

It already said 2013 Explorer, I just added XLT, i think that's what you meant. :thumbsup:

The full operation of the remote start system is described in the owners manual.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I'll check that out. :thumbsup:

working!

I'm back to report that everything works fine. after maybe 30 minutes wait and $125 ($105 1 hour labor + $11.40 miscellaneous charges ??? + $8.73 tax) the remote starter works.

i found very strange that the detail of the misc charges are:

HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL $3
SHOP SUPPLIES $8.40

who knows.

but hey, it works, now i'm ready for winter. :):thumbsup::exp:

Just wanted to post pics of a VSS/RMU install (cell phone control remote start).

This is on a 2016 Explorer Sport. VSS is mounted to the shield below the steering column. The shock sensor adjustment is accessible with a small long flat blade screwdriver. RMU was mounted along side the center console to keep it away from being surrounded by metal up in the dash.

The VSS was mounted using wire ties through holes drilled in the metal plate.

Attachments

• VSS Mounted.JPG
    VSS Mounted.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 438
  • VSS Shock Sensor Adjustment.jpg
    VSS Shock Sensor Adjustment.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 438
  • VSS Ties.jpg
    VSS Ties.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 432
  • RMU.jpg
    RMU.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 435

hood pin harness firewall pass through?

So I have all the parts to install the hood pin harness on my Base however i don't know the best place to pass through the fire wall. please help i don't want to have to pay a dealership to do something i could do. 2013 base explorer. Thanks

So I have all the parts to install the hood pin harness on my Base however i don't know the best place to pass through the fire wall. please help i don't want to have to pay a dealership to do something i could do. 2013 base explorer. Thanks

All the instructions say is to go throug the bulkhead. No pics or anything. Going to be on your own for trying to find a good spot to go through. I know it sucks but to do it right you will need to pass through somewhere.

Where do the factory wires go through? Can't I try to run the wire through that?

If it was that easy, there wouldn't be threads on different ways to get through the firewall.

Putting a hole in a factory grommet is really never recommended. There is too much chance for damaging the factory wiring, and the rubber is very hard on this model car.

It is never a good idea to use a factory wire passthrough (grommet) for various reasons. If you nick a wire and the vehicle has to go in for an electrical issue they WILL point the finger at the installer, and IF the grommet leaks any fluids and a warranty issue comes up they will again point the finger at the installer.

Do the job properly. Drill your own hole and protect it properly with a grommet and sealant.

Just wanted to post up if any New Jersey New York guys are looking for a remote start enabling friendly dealership. Just make sure you have the hood pin switch installed. You don't even need the remote start IKTs programed or even present unless you want them to program them for you. Just make sure you give them both of your original keys to verify that only two keys are programed to the car as you can only program a max of 4.

Quality Automall
55 Route 17 North
Rutherford NJ, 07070

This guy knows exactly what do.
Service consultant
Jeffery N. Silvia
201-460-2341

Just wanted to post up if any New Jersey New York guys are looking for a remote start enabling friendly dealership. Just make sure you have the hood pin switch installed. You don't even need the remote start IKTs programed or even present unless you want them to program them for you. Just make sure you give them both of your original keys to verify that only two keys are programed to the car as you can only program a max of 4.

Quality Automall
55 Route 17 North
Rutherford NJ, 07070

This guy knows exactly what do.
Service consultant
Jeffery N. Silvia
201-460-2341

Just out of curiosity, what did he charge you? I'm in Connecticut and would possibly take the two hour drive down just for the piece of mind that it's being done by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Just out of curiosity, what did he charge you? I'm in Connecticut and would possibly take the two hour drive down just for the piece of mind that it's being done by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

I have a commercial account with them so my price is different than a normal service customer I rather not disclose that information sorry.

LedZeppelin - Contact Hoffman Ford in East Hartford. They were able to enable the feature for me. Ron was the Service Writer I worked with.

Correction. Chris is the Service Writer.

LedZeppelin - Contact Hoffman Ford in East Hartford. They were able to enable the feature for me. Ron was the Service Writer I worked with.

Sweet, thanks BoSox13, that's exactly where I had my EcoBoost replaced a few months ago. Thanks for the heads up.

5 Button Remote Start IKT - Ford/Rotunda #164-R8000 (Strattec #5921467 )

i called the dealership and they asked what 5 button key I had and they said that the part number quoted above is for an expedition? I actually already have the remote from your site in my paypal cart, but this slowed me down...I know the dealerships aren't always the most intelligent...

ETA: And I called a second dealership and they said it would work...

So I have a 2013 sport, bought key 5 button ikt fob and dealership says I don't have remote start to activate, are they serious or just not looking in right place

So I have a 2013 sport, bought key 5 button ikt fob and dealership says I don't have remote start to activate, are they serious or just not looking in right place

Go to my facebook page and the video section....it shows them how to enable it.

I explained it verbally to the lady, who then reported it to her "tech manager" that was doing it and he said it wasn't possible. So looks like I'll drive the 1.5hrs to next dealership. I was just making sure that all sports have remote start access as well. It does already have hood pin

I explained it verbally to the lady, who then reported it to her "tech manager" that was doing it and he said it wasn't possible. So looks like I'll drive the 1.5hrs to next dealership. I was just making sure that all sports have remote start access as well. It does already have hood pin

Tell them you will educate them for free if they enable it for free otherwise you will go elsewhere....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back