How to: - New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
The first number doesn't work in Ford parts for ordering. The second number does. Putting either number in for a parts search in Ford parts comes up with nothing. Not even the number they supposedly use for the part. Just more frustration added to the process for the customer.

Agreed!

Thanks for looking though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first number doesn't work in Ford parts for ordering. The second number does. Putting either number in for a parts search in Ford parts comes up with nothing. Not even the number they supposedly use for the part. Just more frustration added to the process for the customer.

Ford Parts drives me nuts. I wish they would do it as both a parts list look up like they have, and a whole vehicle diagram, where you can click on the area, then further drill down, by picture, to get to the part you need. I've wasted so much time not knowing what a part is called, or what section it's in, on Ford Parts.

Lately I have been using Tasca Parts to find what I need (part numbers). Have also ordered from Tasca and had good luck there. Was going to order the cowl from them (have the buzz at interstate speeds), but shipping was $133!

Have received my HD ACM from Ebay. First thing, took it apart. What I found was various, unremarkable electronics shtuff. Have pics :)chug:). Will put them up when I pull out the other ACM and get pics of it's innards. Let me make it clear that this is not a Sony unit. It's built by 'Dongguan Clarion Orient Electronics Company, LTD. In other words. It was built down by the river in a shack in China for two bits. Whereas the Sony ACM was probably built in a larger, two story shack...down by the river in...China for three bits. My aspirations for maybe adding that DSP for the operation of the various control options that can be brought up in the APIM (Audio Display Interface Module:thumbsup:), may be in jeopardy. That is yet to be seen and I will report on the outcome of that in due time.

Well, I hadn't planned to install the HD ACM until today but, since I was doing a firmware upgrade to the Pioneer unit in my Ranger yesterday, while unzipping the file needed for that, I spent the 5 minutes it took to install the HD ACM. I also mentioned before, I would have pics of the insides of both non and HD units and here they are. If you carefully observe, there is a difference as the HD ACM has an extra piece of electronics in an area that the other ACM does not. It must be the HD magic box! It also looks like they made it impossible to add that piece to the standard unit as well. Anyway, you can see that they are mainly unremarkable in their content. Just another car stereo unit.

If you are interested in doing this swap, those forscan spec sheets are the key to getting the unit to work correctly. Now, the next thing I want to examine is adding the DSP amp and getting those other features like EQ, DSP surround and such to work properly. I don't really care about that stuff, I just like tinkering. :D

ACM NO HD.JPG

ACM HD.JPG

One of the interesting things about this new HD ACM addition is the inclusion of the VIN from the vehicle it came from. A '15 Explorer Limited with the Sony system, apparently. This answers a basic question I wondered about as to what ACM they are using for the Sony system. But, also brings up another question. The ACM used is not built by Sony so, what is 'Sony' in this system and how do they get to claim it is a Sony system? The answer that I come up with is the DSP amp that is used. It says 'Sony' on it so, I guess they get to call the top of the line audio system 'Sony'.

Look, I don't know how many of you are really interested in solving the ability to upgrade your lesser audio systems using what's available from Ford. If it's possible to upgrade these systems to get close to the top of the line, that's my interest. I'm not as interested in getting a better system more than it is to finding out if it can be done. As far as I'm concerned, My 'lesser' system was just fine. I just think that if one is able to upgrade to the Sony system with the addition of the HI4 ACM and adding the Sony DSP amp, using, what I believe to be, the already installed wiring harness that I believe to be universal to all the audio systems, this 'mystery' can be solved. So, far, it seems my research is heading in that direction.

Looks like Livnitup and DanMc85 found the ability to change the heated steering wheel temperature values on F150Forum.

Here's hoping that they'll be able to find the ability to change the heated seat values as well (I'd like them to get a tad bit warmer).

Looks like Livnitup and DanMc85 found the ability to change the heated steering wheel temperature values on F150Forum.

Here's hoping that they'll be able to find the ability to change the heated seat values as well (I'd like them to get a tad bit warmer).
I find that after driving 5 minutes or so I have to turn the heated seat down to 1 bar. Too hot otherwise.

Peter

I find that after driving 5 minutes or so I have to turn the heated seat down to 1 bar. Too hot otherwise.

Peter

The seats aren't bad, I can drive with it on full heat and be fine, I would prefer it to be warmer though as I find it a little bit more relaxing.

My previous car had heated seats before (only one default heat level) and it seems to be quite a bit warmer than the seats in the Explorer.

Following up on my quest for answers about Ford's mysterious audio systems, yesterday, I spent some time pulling the right rear panel to check the wiring harness and area where they would place the Sony DSP amp. The pic below shows there is not much there in mine. That black module in the parking aid module, with reverse proximity sensor. As far as the wiring is concerned, it seems to be a dedicated rather than universal harness which means it appears not to be the same harness used in the Sony system. However, there is a connector toward the front that is taped and not used that potentially could have something to do with the audio system. There is another gentleman on this forum I have been corresponding with who is in the process of upgrading his audio system using a donor Ex that has the Sony system and he will have a better idea what the situation is in the rear area about what is actually used and what it looks like. More info coming in the next week or so, I would guess.

Right panel.jpg

Thanks Peter. The link you put up is a good addition to this subject. But, it doesn't really answer the question as to the wiring harness. Like, is the taped connector on my harness their to add a pigtail with the connectors for the amp. I have no interest in adding a sub back there. I like the storage box plus, I'm an old coot and bangin' bass would be irritating. :D I would hope that the pictures that may be put up by Kikinz24, the person I have been corresponding with on this forum, will better show the wiring harness details better from his donor Ex. I'm hoping that with a little effort, the info being gathered here will help answer the questions some may have now and in the future about how these audio systems are put together. :thumbsup:

MikB,
I didnt find the answer to the main question, have you got HD radio working or not?

MikB,
I didnt find the answer to the main question, have you got HD radio working or not?

Yes, it's working fine. The info in the spreadsheets have all the changes needed for a successful outcome.

May not be a FORScan related question, but can the steering wheel paddle shifters be disabled when in D (not sport or manual)? Even if they can be disabled altogether, that would be fine, We would not have a need for them and my wife tends to hit those randomly when turning the wheel causing a gear change.

May not be a FORScan related question, but can the steering wheel paddle shifters be disabled when in D (not sport or manual)? Even if they can be disabled altogether, that would be fine, We would not have a need for them and my wife tends to hit those randomly when turning the wheel causing a gear change.
Maybe there is, but I havent seen anything like that so far...

My guess would be no only because you need to have a way to down shift. Since its not controlled through the shifter this would be the only way. If she hits it she will just need to turn it back to "full auto" by holding one of them down

Paddle shifter logic is in the PCM which isn't programmable by Forscan (yet?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is but there is also calibration and strategy's that are flashed into the PCM. Don't know if this is programmable or not.

Right now I don't think Forscan has the ability to change the values in the PCM. I'm thinking it really can it's just the programmers don't want to open up that feature yet because of the higher chance of permanent damage.

Back