5R55E cooler line fitting at trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E cooler line fitting at trans

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
Long ago, I smashed flat the metal lines for the cooler that run under the rad. I cut them out and replaced them with rubber back then. I've long since replaced the stock external cooler with one that came with AN fittings (which I replaced with barbs for said rubber line), I'm tired of tightening hose clamps, and/or replacing the rubber lines. Does anyone know the size of the fittings AT THE TRANS for the cooler lines, so I can just get some AN fittings and braided line? and as I was laying under the truck again tonight tightening a clamp to fix another red drip I figured I might as well just do it. Plus using AN fittings and braided line adds like 30 HP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suppose I could take them off and figure it out myself, but that's not how things work on forums. Please spoon-feed me the answer, lol.

I am not sure of the thread and pitch size.....but I have a bunch of those fittings in the shop! Not very useful I know
I can get the tap and dye kit out and try to match them up? I know they have a 16mm wrench head :)
I have always just cut them off, done a simple flare and used two clamps = no leaks, ever
Without the flare, well they will leak a little

Yea, he called it. I have at least 4 fittings for my tranny cooler with rubber hose on steel lines. With no flare they'll leak a little. Flare the steel line and it can be difficult to get the rubber hose on, but it won't leak. Also a lot less likely to slip off.

I ended up just flaring it and shoving the rubber hose onto it. Braided lines and AN fittings, plus the Earl's sticker probably would have made it a lot faster though....

Back