93 explorer bogging down and check engine light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer bogging down and check engine light on

smokeycbr

Reaction score
City, State
Panhandle, Flordia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expllorer xlt 4.0l
I have a 93 explorer 4.0 OBD I it will start fine drive down the road and it wants to bog down with the pedal to the floor and the check engine light comes on. Now when it hits 3000 rpm the light goes off and it opens right up and seems fine. At the next stop sign or light same thing happens. Have pulled codes and get i believe a 19 PCM internal voltage low and 87 fuel pump primary circuit failure. I was fixing to get a used PCM but would like to see if anyone else has ideas. Thanks for reading

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My old 90 Ranger had two digit codes. My 92's and 94's have (or had) three digit codes. I wouldn't buy anything until you are sure of your codes.

The second thing I'd do is look at fuel pressure.

you could look at fuel pressure/ filter. it could be catalytic converter clogged and causing issues at low rpm? what does the temp look like. a plugged cat will drive up the temp a little. i know it sounds weird but check the brakes, parking of if the are stuck. first thought is cat though just guessing.

If your truck is a 93 it should be giving 3 digit codes. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain it should be, mine does. If you are getting internal voltage issues, then you need to check voltage feeds into the PCM and look for your 5 volt reference signals that it puts out to the various sensors. Check your grounds too. You may have something backfeeding causing the PCM to freak out.

Double check the part number on your computer, could someone have changed it out before you got it? Have you had this truck long? There are differences between 91-92, and 93-94 PCMs. Also in 93 you could have had EGR or non-EGR systems. Make sure your get right one if you go that route.

My 94 Limited had similar problems. It turned out to be a combination of 3 things: 1. the cat was collapsed. Once we fixed that the problem got better but wasn't fixed; 2. the MAF sensor was bad. Again, better once replaced but not "fixed"; 3. the fuel pump was bad. Once the fuel pump was replaced everything was right again. Complicated things but I wouldn't give it up for the world!

Back