Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Subed to this thread.

From what I understand there is a oil cooler that is installed with the factory tow package. I have checked mine and all the fuses are in place for the lights so that is something that you might want to just check.

I picked up a hitch from Etrailer and installed it and it took about all of 30 minutes to do it, but then I had ramps and a couple of straps to help. There are videos on Etrailers site when you pull up the hitch for the Explorer that shows you just how to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just bought a 2016 xlt without a tow package i plan to buy the kit and install the hitch and wiring harness for it but the thing i would like to know is there anything else ford puts on the vehicle for towing and how necessary is it
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' function I found this thread that should answer some of your questions. Vehicles with the factory tow package also have the 'TOW' button and TRAILER SWAY control. Apparently the 'TOW' button can be added. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/tow-mode-button-installation.409301/ Not sure about the sway control feature. Those with the factory tow also have an air duct for cooling. They have a opening in the front right part of the lower bumper and a duct to direct the airflow. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/lower-grill-cutout.367234/#post-3240847
There is also a video on installing the aftermarket package but only with the the factory installed package is the Explorer rated to tow 5000 lbs. Otherwise 2000 lbs is the limit. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...itch-kit-for-gen-5-explorer-c-w-video.386861/

Peter

Hi. We found a 2017 Explorer XLT in Blue Jeans Metallic at a dealer yesterday, and brought it home last night. I now need to add a tow hitch to it. I want to double check and make sure I have all the parts I need to order. I'm hoping a Ford rep or someone with knowledge of this will let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for your time.

GB5Z-17K835-AA - Ford Explorer Fascia - Rear, Carbon Black, For Base Model
GB5Z-19D520-A - Ford Explorer Trailer Hitch
BB5Z-15A416-A - Ford Explorer Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - 4 Pin Connector
GB5Z-14B291-D - Ford Explorer Liftgate Module Hands-Free (this vehicle has the hands-free liftgate, and from the parts site it appears I need an extra sensor when equipping a hitch, as there is a sensor on each side of the hitch)
Hello mclark. For what its worth, you do not need the liftgate module, the hitch works without it, I just finished installing mine. The part is useless anyway without all the wires and connectors that you would need to make it work. The one on the passenger side is sufficient.

Good evening all,

In the process of adding an OEM rear receiver to a 2017 PIU. It has back up sensors and blind spot monitoring. I ordered the following replacement wiring harness: GB5Z-15K868-K. Multiple Ford sites describe this as:

W/TRAILER TOW, SENSORS & ELECTRICAL, W/BLIND SPOT MONITOR, W/O AUTO PARK, W/O POWER LIFT GATE

I ordered it that particular harness based off that description as that is what I'm working with. All my parts came in today and when I lay the new harness out, it's a perfect match and it includes the full 4 pin trailer connector but not the connector for the 7 pin trailer plug. I ordered it thinking it would have the electrical connector to accept the 7 pin adapter. I knew the harness wouldn't have the actual female socket that mounts to the receiver, but I did expect it to have the plug that goes into the back of that socket.

On Tasca's site, there are 8 different versions of this harness. All have the same part number except for the last alpha character. Any thoughts or other possible part numbers?

I think you only get the 4-pin connector because you really don't have the "towing package". If the hitch was factory installed it would be rated at 5000 lbs because they put in a trans cooler and some kind of control on the dash, otherwise its rated at just 2000 lbs. If you want, you can get a 4 to 7 pin adapter from the etrailers.com website. This question should have been merged with the rest at:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/did-not-get-towing-package-now-what.328221/

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, this is kind of a hybrid situation as a towing package isn't even an option on the PI Utility. I can only imagine Ford's lawyers talking about a cop pulling a trailer and then decides to chase after someone or take a hot call. My department has plenty of 150's and 350's for towing.

I agree with merging threads if Peter would like to do so.

I read over that thread and am not that concerned with the 2k vs 5k debate. A PI Utility has HD brakes, engine oil and tranny coolers, proper air ducting, PTU cooler, etc.

One thing I would like to note, I ordered the OEM receiver GB5Z-19D520-A. This came as a Ford Genuine Accessory. Retails at $259, dealer cost of $206.50, I paid $221 wholesale for it. It is clearly a Class III, 2" receiver. It has a Ford sticker that designates is a Class III rated for 5k. However, in the instruction packet, it comes with a Class I, 2k Ford sticker that they expect you to put over the original sticker.

I'll probably do what you mentioned and just pick up the 4 to 7 pin adapter. All of our small trailers are single axle, 10' -14' and have the 7 pin connector. However, they do not have the auxiliary hot or electric brakes so the 7 pin connector on the trailer only has 4 in it.

Curious about the harness with the 7 pin connector on it. I figure they have to make replacements in case someone with the factory towing package needs to replace it. The instructions I have with the receiver show to take a grinder to the 7 pin bracket to remove it if it's unused. Just has a couple of spot welds holding it to the tube.

Thanks again for the input.

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, this is kind of a hybrid situation as a towing package isn't even an option on the PI Utility. I can only imagine Ford's lawyers talking about a cop pulling a trailer and then decides to chase after someone or take a hot call. My department has plenty of 150's and 350's for towing.

I agree with merging threads if Peter would like to do so.

I read over that thread and am not that concerned with the 2k vs 5k debate. A PI Utility has HD brakes, engine oil and tranny coolers, proper air ducting, PTU cooler, etc.

One thing I would like to note, I ordered the OEM receiver GB5Z-19D520-A. This came as a Ford Genuine Accessory. Retails at $259, dealer cost of $206.50, I paid $221 wholesale for it. It is clearly a Class III, 2" receiver. It has a Ford sticker that designates is a Class III rated for 5k. However, in the instruction packet, it comes with a Class I, 2k Ford sticker that they expect you to put over the original sticker.

I'll probably do what you mentioned and just pick up the 4 to 7 pin adapter. All of our small trailers are single axle, 10' -14' and have the 7 pin connector. However, they do not have the auxiliary hot or electric brakes so the 7 pin connector on the trailer only has 4 in it.

Curious about the harness with the 7 pin connector on it. I figure they have to make replacements in case someone with the factory towing package needs to replace it. The instructions I have with the receiver show to take a grinder to the 7 pin bracket to remove it if it's unused. Just has a couple of spot welds holding it to the tube.

I did pretty much what you are doing since mine did not come with a hitch either. I installed the 4-pin connector and the 7-pin adapter from etrailers. I had to drill some extra holes for the mounting screws. I think you will also need the new bumper cover that has the removable plastic panel for when you are using the hitch. You have to drill out some rivets from the bumper and install new ones but it looks pretty good when you're done.

I think the part you need is GB5Z-17K835-AA, assuming your bumper is black and not shiny.

My Explorer did not come with a hitch and I want to add one, problem is I don't want one that is under the bumper but rather in the stock location. I have called the dealer with no joy. Any ideas?

The aftermarket ones I have seen seem to be super low

Do a search it's been discussed thoroughly.

Everything you need to know can be found here, minus which wiring harness you need for the factory plug ins for the trailer. That you will have to research, but I'm going to bet it is the same as mine.

My Explorer did not come with a hitch and I want to add one, problem is I don't want one that is under the bumper but rather in the stock location. I have called the dealer with no joy. Any ideas?

The aftermarket ones I have seen seem to be super low
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature. You can use it to find other thread concerning towing as well. I see you have already posted in one of the other threads that has the install video.

Peter

Really glad to see the receiver fits the 2017 model. I'm picking up a 17 sport tomorrow and have been looking at what it takes to get a oem tow package installed.

My question for you is, did you install the tow/haul switch in the cab ? All the tow/haul switches linked on the thread have said they were for 2015's or older. I'm curious if the same part fit your car or if we need a different one.

As far as the 4pin vs. 7pin harness I really only ever use trailers with 4pin harnesses but I'd also like to have the oem female plug hooked up and adapt down to a 4 pin from there. That's how my truck is setup and all my trailers are set up as well.

Really glad to see the receiver fits the 2017 model. I'm picking up a 17 sport tomorrow and have been looking at what it takes to get a oem tow package installed.

My question for you is, did you install the tow/haul switch in the cab ? All the tow/haul switches linked on the thread have said they were for 2015's or older. I'm curious if the same part fit your car or if we need a different one.

As far as the 4pin vs. 7pin harness I really only ever use trailers with 4pin harnesses but I'd also like to have the oem female plug hooked up and adapt down to a 4 pin from there. That's how my truck is setup and all my trailers are set up as well.
Welcome to the Forum Alex.:wave:
Did you order the Sport or are you buying it from a dealer? Just curious as to how much you've looked into it. Class III tow package is standard on the 2017 Sport.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Alex.:wave:
Did you order the Sport or are you buying it from a dealer? Just curious as to how much you've looked into it. Class III tow package is standard on the 2017 Sport.

Peter

I just "ordered" one yesterday. My girlfriend's dad is a dealer. He was letting me drive a fully loaded 17 sport for a while and I loved the thing but can only afford a sport with the 400a standard features. So today they're driving out of state to get the color and options I want.

I thought the tow package was an option that mine wouldn't have. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't even seen my car yet haha

I just "ordered" one yesterday. My girlfriend's dad is a dealer. He was letting me drive a fully loaded 17 sport for a while and I loved the thing but can only afford a sport with the 400a standard features. So today they're driving out of state to get the color and options I want.

I thought the tow package was an option that mine wouldn't have. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't even seen my car yet haha
http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2017/models/explorer-sport/
Check "Packages"

Peter

Sport has Class-III standard, not part of add-on other options..

54qHdak-IGG5-CWTRRoTprVRF3edYfF2vVEuaQgWh357nQFZ3snVQP4cqqtSB7mvnIMN3zjyhsf4ry0=w1366-h638

Well- dweeb of the day award goes to me!!

I've been reading about this for around an hour and I already have the option!

Thanks so much, that's why forums are so amazing.

Sport has Class-III standard, not part of add-on other options..
Thanks for posting. Do you have the 2016 Sport? If so, please either update your profile or add it to a signature so we know what you have. If you just have the '02 Sport then no action is required. Thank you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't install the "Tow" switch. I'm not sure if the wiring is even there on the PIU since a received isn't an option. On the PIU's, they have a button at the end of the column shifter labeled "low". If you turn this on from a stop, it won't shift out of first. If you hit it while driving, it starts downshifting pretty agressively, trying to down to first. I converted mine over to floor shift and had to relocate this button.

Back