is this a problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is this a problem

Hey i had noticed that on my 96 explorer the front wheels, mostly the left one, tilt out at the bottom. Is this supposed to be like this. I have noticed it on many fords of this era. it doesn't seem to get any worse or unevenly wear the tires. Could it be just they was the suspension works. I was just wondering whats up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lowered?

Did you lower it by adjusting the torsion bars? the upper control arms are shorter than the lower control arms so when the body is lowered the negative camber increases. The tires will wear more on the inside than the outside but your cornering ability will improve.

um i didnt lower it at all or anything like that. But are you saying that its meant to be like that and its to help turning?

only slightly negative camber

The stock alignment is for only slightly negative camber. If it's noticeably negative and stock height then it could be loose or worn wheel bearings, worn control arm bushings or ball joints. Castor angle affects steering wheel turning effort and stability - not camber. Negative camber offsets body roll during cornering.

Yeah its not really that noticeable but you can see it if you look close. Does this need to be fixed?... will it effect the performance of the truck?

I would say so. Like cculter said, could be work out balljoints. When's the last time you had them replaced?

Back