Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed

Ok I know there are many threads on this but I have searched and searched and I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Here is what I want to do. I have the electronic push button T-case in my 93 Sport with the Mazda 5 speed tranny and I would like to convert it to the manual BW 13-54 T-case. I know it has been done by other members so I know it can be done.

What I need to know is What exactly do I need to do this and if you have part numbers that would help alot. What is the dificulty of this swap? Will it bolt right up or will I need to modify somethings? Do I need to get a new speedo sensor? Also do any of the rangers come with this T-case? and If so can it be used in a 93 Sport?

Thanks for your Info and If any moderators feel this needs to be deleted because it has been asked so many times feel free to do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds oh so familiar. i can tell you exactly what to expect if you plan on replacing it yourself. at this point with transmission, transfer case, linkage, threadlock, oil, i have spent just under $2000. that was a rebuilt tranny and a used tcase. both have warranties. i had help reinstalling the tranny but that was it. i had 2 jack stands, a bottle jack and a floor jack to do it all. i had airtoosl but you really cant get o most bolts with it so i had to use a wrench. iwill be glad to help if you plan on doing this since its so fresh in my head. ford’s price tag onthe tranny fix alone was $2850.00 i figure - minus the tcase that i saved $15-1600 on labour alone.

sorry to hear about your tranny. i know the feeling only too well.
good luck..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

:D I got my new Manual T-case and if all goes well it'll go in sunday!!!! I'll post some pics when I'm done. Anyone in the market for an electric 1354?;)

I have my manual t-case that I would like to put on this weekend. I bought this from someone on the boards and was wondering if there is a sure way to test this b4 mounting it on the vehicle? Any other tricks that I need to know? Thanks

flange

What style output flange/yolk does the manual BW 1354 have for the rear shaft??

the rear is a flat plate with 4 bolt holes. the front is a yolk that receives a ujoint.

shift the lever with your hand and turn the imput shaft. be sure that each selection locks in tight and there is no play between input and the rear, the font will most liekly have a little play in it.

good luck. make sure you have seals unless you feel confident with scraping the old one off. seal is like $4.

I swapped the electronic shift out to a manual on my 92 w/ automatic.

If you want to save a few $, as opposed to buyng new parts, you can use the t-case shifter linkage from a BroncoII that had the A4LD in it (wreckers). You will need to buy the boot and trim plate from Ford.

You can also cut a hole for the shifter in the existing transmission tunnel plate in your Exploder. I used the BroncoII cover as a template.

I just did the swap on mine a few weeks ago.

Just in case any of you know where to get one, i need a shifter linkage for the 1354 behind a manual.

cani use the linkage off the one i take the t-case out of? the one is auto and mine is manual?

I believe the intermediate adapter between the t-case and tranny is the same for automatics and manuals, across Explorers, Rangers and B2's. The t-case shifter linkage mounts to it, on my Explorer with an automatic transmission and (former) auto shift t-case, the adapter boss was already drilled and tapped to accept the linkage bolt.

In short, I think using the shifter from the donor will work.

thanks dude! i get mine sunday

hey 2nd genners with 97 and above (blueagletalon, yomie., etc...), how did you guys wire up the 1354? and please correct me if im wrong since its been a while since i dropped the front diff - but we dont have to worry about the the front vacuum disconnects cauz our fronts doesnt have them right?

Wire up. all i did was bolt mine in and hook up the linkage. mine did not have any vacum lines going to it. it was a fairly easy swap to do. the only thing that wire up in my x was the speedo.

blueagletalon said:
the only thing that wire up in my x was the speedo.

and this is just a plug-n-play right? what about the indicator lights? i know some have chosen not to wire this up cauz its fairly obvious what gear the t-case is in after you've shifted it, but did u?

Ha ha ha, a 4 year old thread......It came from a user that doesn't even have an X anymore, from a forum that doesnt exist anymore.....LOL!

so i'm behind the curve by 4 years, cmon stop making fun of me!

Since this has been dredged up, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has dealt with THIS problem:

2002 Ranger Edge 5spd (M5OD-R1HD) has no provision for the manual linkage, at least not the older style 1354 linkage. My friend has a '02 Ranger FX-4 with manual shift, I suppose I should crawl under it to see how the shifter is mounted...

In the mean time, I have a couple 1354E's for spares ;-)

IZwacked- For the plug and play question, do a search for my thread on wiring a 1354. I ended up splicing the wires in to make the 4x4 and low lights work. I think it will be helpful with your second generation.

thanks for the info on this swap! i will be doing this along with a manual hub swap soon... possibly even a manual trans swap?

eventually have solid axles and dual 4 links for massive flex

Thanks!!

Thanks guys for this thread, I just did the swap today. It was very easy and it works great!! Just one note, the linkage part number listed on the first page is no longer made by Ford and the dealer quoted me 475 bucks just for the linkage. I suggest that you SEARCH JUNKYARDS for the part BEFORE you do the swap. It is becoming more and more difficult to find the linkage and unless you have the money to fork over for the dealer one or have the skills to make your own, you could be stuck with reaching through the floor or crawling under to shift the t-case (which is what i am currently having to do until my linkage comes from another state) Thanks again guys.

Wow...after a day of searching its in the list of useful threads, but least I know the speedo isn't going to be a big deal. Has anyone made a connection for the 95 and 96 trucks that when you pull it into hi or low that the axle automatically engages? Just curious because I plan to do this once I get one but didn't know if I was on my own on this or if someone already did it.

Back