Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

I am having this same problem. It is driving me nuts. It doesn't happen all the time, but this is one of the reasons I got rid of my last car!!!! I have around 8,000 on my limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another owner with squeaking brakes here. 4500 miles and the kids keep asking me what that noise is. It is embarrassing for a brand new $40,000 vehicle! :(

I had the squeaky brakes issue too around 2500 miles. I took it to the dealer and they were able to fix it by doing something to the rotors. He did say that when they drove it, it didn't make the noise until they were about 10 minutes into the ride. It would do it in the school parking lot and it was really annoying.

Either way, I haven't had the problem since.

Brake Squeal

I've had the same issue starting at 2000 miles. It is only at low speeds but happens regularly. The dealer continues to insist they can't replicate. Extremely annoying considering I hear it DAILY. Had to order a part for another issue and it's going back tomorrow. This time I'm bringing one of them with me. I guarantee I can reproduce it without leaving the parking lot!

My concern is they will want to turn the rotors. Thats a no go for me. Me loosing unnecessary life off the rotors for a defective part is not acceptable. Has anyone had a dealer do anything other than turn the rotors to fix?

I've had the same issue starting at 2000 miles. It is only at low speeds but happens regularly. The dealer continues to insist they can't replicate. Extremely annoying considering I hear it DAILY. Had to order a part for another issue and it's going back tomorrow. This time I'm bringing one of them with me. I guarantee I can reproduce it without leaving the parking lot!

My concern is they will want to turn the rotors. Thats a no go for me. Me loosing unnecessary life off the rotors for a defective part is not acceptable. Has anyone had a dealer do anything other than turn the rotors to fix?

DITTO.

Those parts need to be replaced because they were already defective before they were installed in the factory.
I don't have time to wrestle with the dealership about NOT turning the rotors or replicating the issue. Ford should manage this.

I would be a bit annoyed too if I had a squealing noise like that chris_183. It’s also unfortunate the dealer couldn’t duplicate it the first time. I’d like to reach out to help get this resolved. From previous messages, I already have your Explorer’s VIN, so please feel free to send me a private message with your approximate mileage and the dealer name.

GregV8, I’d be glad to assist you as well by escalating your concern. If you’d like me to do that, please send me the details I mentioned above.

Cory

I would be a bit annoyed too if I had a squealing noise like that. It’s also unfortunate the dealer couldn’t duplicate it the first time. I’d like to reach out to help get this resolved. From previous messages, I already have your Explorer’s VIN, so please feel free to send me a private message with your approximate mileage and the dealer name.

GregV8, I’d be glad to assist you as well by escalating your concern. If you’d like me to do that, please send me the details I mentioned above.

Cory

Cory,

I sent you a pm per your request regarding this same issue. I took the vehicle in to the dealer per your suggestion and they turned the rotors (even after I instructed them not to). They still squeak even after the rotors have been turned.

You later asked me to send you another pm regarding this, which I did, and I have not heard back from you in over a week.

If there is a fix for this, please post it publicly as this issue is now beyond acceptable.

I also expect a voucher of some sort from Ford agreeing to cover the cost of new rotors when mine have to be prematurely replaced because they have been turned with 7000 miles on them.

I am now seriously considering investing in a vehicle wrap advertising what a piece of crap this thing is and drive it up and down Woodward Ave during the Woodward Dream Cruise next month so all million plus spectators can see it.

I have been playing nice up to now but my frustration level has reached it's limit.

I am convinced that taking matters to PM is just a way to temporarily diffuse the issue. I've received no satisfaction or results yet.

Ford needs to get off their a** and do something about these issues.

I would expect some sort of TSB or something on this issue. This sounds like there is a defect in the parts somewhere and that should be publicly addressed.

Good or bad I will share what the outcome is on this. I have already made it clear to the service writer don't even bother asking me about turning the rotors.

Same problem - squeeky brakes

Have the same problem.. squeeky brakes. Not sure when started.. around 3k maybe before.

I have roughly 5500 miles on mine and just took it to the dealer for this problem. Finally got too embarrassing to listen to every day. I drove the tech around and got them to do it within 10 minutes and they replaced the front rotors and brakes, no questions asked.

Service center told me it was "brake dust." They couldn't hear it. I had so many other issues i was dealing with, I didn't want to start into this one. I guess I will wait and take it back again and drive them around myself. Just had my touch screen replaced, waiting for apim to get in to be replaced.....what is next....

Got a call from Ford HQ yesterday. (Thanks Cory for making it happen.)
Coincidentally, I have not heard my brakes squeal for the past few days. The very friendly lady on the phone said the dealer must hear the noise for them to do anything. We basically left it at that. I guess if the issue came up again, Ford would make sure I get the parts replaced (no rotor turn).
Right now, I'm just hoping that the issue has completely gone away (I'm close to 6,000 miles now) after the components are getting worn. We'll see. If it comes back again, I will be sure to call her back.

Coincidentally, I have not heard my brakes squeal for the past few days. The very friendly lady on the phone said the dealer must hear the noise for them to do anything. We basically left it at that. I guess if the issue came up again, Ford would make sure I get the parts replaced (no rotor turn).
Right now, I'm just hoping that the issue has completely gone away (I'm close to 6,000 miles now) after the components are getting worn. We'll see. If it comes back again, I will be sure to call her back.

Does the dealer have to PHYSICALLY hear the noise? OR..... would a video of it w/audio work?

Mine started squealing, then grinding around 2,000 miles, only a slow speeds, only half the time, etc. i took it into a dealer on a saturday and left it, they couldnt replicate, so i went back during the week and had the master mechanic ride with me so i could replicate it myself. they had a large parking lot in a strip mall next door, so i rode around slowly and got it to happen while he was with me. he said they they noticed a lot of debris in the brake rotor, so they cleaned it and then re-machined the front brake rotors. this was a couple of weeks ago and i have not noticed it again since then.

Re-machined rotors with so low mileage...? I wouldn't let them, since they're only shortening the life of your rotors w/o. solving the problem. If they think shaving your rotors helps then they should had replace the rotors and the pads that created the debris, or were worn by defective rotors. As a matter of fact I would go back to them and demand replacement under warranty.

jrmexplorer said:
Does the dealer have to PHYSICALLY hear the noise? OR..... would a video of it w/audio work?

I don't know. I didn't ask.
But I do have a video I recorded last time it happened.

Only about 2,500 miles on my XLT. The (front-) brakes squeak really bad at slow speeds. Typically in stop and go traffic. Very embarrassing for a new car. Anyone else?
Have same problem, 2800 miles on vehicle. Have not talked to dealer yet! Too many other problelms!!

Lon

jrmexplorer, yes, the dealer must physically hear the noise.

You’re welcome; I’m glad I could help. Please feel free to drop me a line any time.

Have same problem, 2800 miles on vehicle. Have not talked to dealer yet! Too many other problelms!!

Lon
Even though you haven’t had your Explorer diagnosed at the dealer yet, I’d be happy to reach out and offer my assistance. If you send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage, I’ll do everything I can to lend a hand.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The squeak came back today.
Will have to schedule a day at the dealership. I soooo don't have time for this.

Back