Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

just started doing it at 4500 miles (while on vacation of course)...now I am in yellowstone scaring all the animals away...damn you ford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 1800 miles, my brakes have started to squeak. Also, got the black screen of death for the second time today. Starting to not like this car much. :(

Just another confirmation of yet someone else with this same issue. Add that to the fact the dealer had to replace my defective windshield and now the right pillar rattles all the time and I have fluttering/flapping at the air noise at the same place at 70+ ...and the Ford Sync system is forever hanging up, requiring a master reset...and half the time the nav system can't find the satellite so it just blinks. Other than that...nice vehicle.

Had to take the tech for a drive. I was able to reproduce the squeal without even leaving the parking lot! They tried to give me some story about carbon and how it is normal. Long story short I told them I want new pads and rotors. I was told they need "special approval" from Ford as usually they would turn them first to see if that helps. They are working on the approval as we speak. I will keep everyone posted!

It is not normal

Logic indicates that if the sound experienced was normal, ALL 2011 Explorers would produce it. Until the cause is indicated by Ford (TSB) and remediated; I would keep on insisting on pads and rotors replacement. Whatever you do, don't let the dealers machine your rotors. Why shorten the life of them when you know that's not going to solve the issue? If it would, then it implies the rotors and/or pads are defective and should be replaced anyway. Good luck guys.

Had to take the tech for a drive. I was able to reproduce the squeal without even leaving the parking lot! They tried to give me some story about carbon and how it is normal. Long story short I told them I want new pads and rotors. I was told they need "special approval" from Ford as usually they would turn them first to see if that helps. They are working on the approval as we speak. I will keep everyone posted!
I’m glad you were able to easily duplicate the noise for the tech. Like M1911A1 said, I would continue to work to have the dealer resolve this for you. Please keep us in the loop with any updates!

Cory

Got it back today with new rotors and pads. Ford approved the work with no hassle on my part. I am satisfied that they did the right thing here.

2011 Explorer brake squeal

Mine is on the third trip to the dealer to fix the brake squeal. First time they turned front rotors and replaced front pads. Second time they applied some form of grease to the drivers side brake. Just over 1000 miles since last repair and back to the dealer for third repair. I have owned over 20 new cars and have never had this type of brake problem. Hopefully dealer can get problem fix with only 6200 miles on the EX.

Mine is on the third trip to the dealer to fix the brake squeal. First time they turned front rotors and replaced front pads. Second time they applied some form of grease to the drivers side brake. Just over 1000 miles since last repair and back to the dealer for third repair. I have owned over 20 new cars and have never had this type of brake problem. Hopefully dealer can get problem fix with only 6200 miles on the EX.

No way of proving it, but I have a suspiction that perhaps Ford used a new kind of material in their brake pads, that produces the squeal. If the material is too hard it will be noisy and will "eat" away your rotors. I have found Ford factory installed pads to be harder than usual, in the past. If this is the case it'll be no big deal. Would like to hear from previous posters that had their pads replaced, to confirm if problem solved.

It would be no big deal, providing Ford does the right thing a sends at least a TSB advising dealers what to do; and alleviating customers aggravation...

My brakes just started squealing. 2600 miles. Only at slow braking. Did the fixes work? Will probably take in next week for that and my growing list of other problems.
Cory; Any word on brake problem?

Mine started at about 2,500 miles. When I took it in for the first oil change I asked them to check it out. When they were done with the oil change I asked about the brakes and they said that it happens sometimes. What?! Not an acceptable answer for a new $45k car! They said I would have to bring it back some other time. When my radio froze up on the way home and I returned to see what can be done they said you will have to bring it back and then we can fix those brakes for you because they are very loud! End of the day, they did something to all 4 rotors and upgraded my radio to 2.11 which in my opinion works worse than v 2.8. I was so happy with this car in the beginning. Now I am starting to get annoyed and wondering if I made a mistake.

Lucky for me, I've only heard the brake squeal just once and that was after I drove into a construction area where my friend worked. Heard the A - Pillar noise only a couple of times.

For me, I hosed down the brake rotors after I heard the squeal and it never came back, it could be caused by particles stuck under the rotor. It could end up scratching up your brakes and cause the squeal I think. At least that's how it was for my other cars.

Also, the quality of the rotors are pretty much crap like a bunch of rotors I've seen on cars now like my friend's CTS. Once you get water on them, they will rust instantly. I guess it causes some uneven spots in them, enough to cause squeals?

Never get your motors machined though, especially not on these brand new rotors.

Squeaky brakes

My brakes are doing the same As everyone else....at very slow speed like the school parking lot. Have not taken it in yet. Surprised at all the comments on this problem...thought it was just me.

Brakes squeel at low speeds

I’m glad you were able to easily duplicate the noise for the tech. Like M1911A1 said, I would continue to work to have the dealer resolve this for you. Please keep us in the loop with any updates!

Cory

Cory,

I just got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealership after complaining of brakes squeeling, making terrible noise when slow to stop, like in traffic. They told me they did NOTHING..they said they called ford and said the brake squeel in normal. I said this is extremly loud, not to mention quite annoying and EMBARRASING, coming from a new vehicle. Kicked to the curb again by ford. Mine has been doing the squeel since 2500 miles, and I just had the 7500 mile service completed. They DID NOTHING to the brakes, and I also complained of the notorious WIND NOISE for bluetooth conversations to which they ugraded to 2.11 software. As you know, this DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. I have TWO major complaints with my new Ford Ex, (1) the brakes squeel and (2) the bluetooth has wind noise at freeway speeds. These two problems, if go unresolved with be enough for me to possilbly seek out a vehicle other than ford. I've always owned Fords in the past, but this vehicle is Really putting my FUN METER IN THE RED!!!!
Any help on getting these problems resolved will be GREATLY appreciated.
Gunner Bob.

Maybe research "bedding brakes" to solve the squealing problem. Can't hurt.

As for the wind noise, be sure that the air vents aren't blowing on the mic.

Cory,

I just got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealership after complaining of brakes squeeling, making terrible noise when slow to stop, like in traffic. They told me they did NOTHING...
I’d really like to help you to get this fixed. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer info so I can escalate the concern for you.

Cory

My Mustang brakes have squeaked like this for years. Ive had it in many times, but nothing was ever done. I was given many excuses, like it must be condensation, or that it is normal. Frustrating. Were you given a solution to the problem? If so, what was done to correct this? Im hoping my Explorer wont sound like my Mustang after a few months.

Have any of you guys searched "bedding brakes"? You might just need to go out and heat the pads up enough to get the pads to out gas and condition the rotors. People are always after that "bite" feeling that inspires confidence....that pad composition requires a good bedding once in a while. How often depends on how much you gentle use the brakes, and "clean" the rotor surface.

Someone who's brakes squeal go out and go from 45-5 mph 5 times real hard...real hard, then try to drive for a few minutes without touching the brakes to get them to cool. See if that fixes the squeal and post back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have any of you guys searched "bedding brakes"? You might just need to go out and heat the pads up enough to get the pads to out gas and condition the rotors. People are always after that "bite" feeling that inspires confidence....that pad composition requires a good bedding once in a while. How often depends on how much you gentle use the brakes, and "clean" the rotor surface.

Someone who's brakes squeal go out and go from 45-5 mph 5 times real hard...real hard, then try to drive for a few minutes without touching the brakes to get them to cool. See if that fixes the squeal and post back.

Oh yeah good stuff right here! I personally like to do it when I come back from a trip and my car has been sitting for weeks. I like to do it from 60-5 and or 70-10 sometimes til I think we in the clear of having any rust build up off and just to maintain those rotors up to par.

I've done it to the X several times, once I heard that squeaking ****, I said to myself oh NO we're gonna fix this right here real quick.

And nothing so far when it comes to squeaks, this does happen those when the wife drives. I think weapon just gentle touch the brakes, after we switch out game on.

Back