Thermostat plastic housing...$490??!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat plastic housing...$490??!!

Kalifowneeah

Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
2000 4.0 V6 Explorer. Had a serious coolant leak suddenly occur while driving on freeway, pulled off and when I looked under the hood I could see coolant/steam spraying back over the top of the block from the thermostat housing (which is plastic) I let things cool down and filled it up with water and limped it home. Took it to a mechanic who just called to tell me Ford wants $490 for the part?! Is this just Mechanic BS? I cannot find a price for that part online. Found one for a 5.0, $148 list price. Anyone replace this part and recall what they paid for it? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try rockauto.com
they have it .

I couldn't get one from Ford,,so,,i ended up getting a Dorman from Advance..The housing , along with the 2 temp sensors was $170.00 . I used coupon code VISA ,and that knocked $50 bucks off..So got it all for $120...Not a bad deal. I hope it lasts..This was about a month ago,so hopefully coupon code still works.

I personally hate not using Motorcraft parts on my trucks,but sometimes you have to.

Rockauto has a dorman water outlet/thermostat housing for about $90.. includes both halves of the water outlet.

Thanks everyone! I called the mechanic (actually the shop owner) and without calling him a liar, told him I knew the part(s) could be found for less, and I could order them myself if he wanted... He quickly changed his tune and said he could get a "discount" which he would "pass along" to me. He will do the entire job for $500 now (including flush cooling system, refill, new housing and thermostat, all labor) instead of the $850 he was trying to con me out of. I won't be going back there again. I do not mind paying someone to do this work but you only get one chance to make a bad impression.

Thanks again Forum members!

There are two different lower thermostat housings with o-ring type sensors.
Motorcraft RH144 has two sensor ports, RH148 one. Identical otherwise.
The RH148 may eliminate the need to buy an extra sensor used only as a "plug".
Excellent tutorial with pics to walk you through. Not difficult, just time consuming. GL

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

That still seems high..

Figure a 50% markup on parts puts it at maybe $150 (motorcraft parts via amazon or rockauto) and that is including the 2 hoses. Then coolant for maybe $50..

That means he's charging $350 for labor on a 1 hour r&r for the thermostat and housing and flush.

Around here, a coolant flush is about $100.. So, to me, there is an extra $250 being charged somewhere...

I'd ask for breakdown of the prices as its just not quite adding up. Keep in mind, labor prices vary around the country. Around here is $40-$125 / hour (dealer is $125).

I'm all for shops making money but sometimes they just go too far.

~Mark

edit: the 1 hour r&r I stated was how long it took me to do on a 2006 vehicle (mustang, but same motor). From looking at the post above mine, the explorer seems just as easy..

Took me 1.5 hr to do the mod. .25 was having a beer. another .25 was having a couple of smokes. The shop I use here sometimes charges $72 an hour labor. I used up $36 drinking and somking.

If you can use your upper and thermostat then it only cost about $35 for the sensors $12 for the stupid clips and $36 for the lower part. Also add about $12 shipping from the diffrent places. $93

Even adding a new thermostat $8 Upper part $17 and 2 gaskets about $4 its still cheaper oops antifreeze $30 $58

All new $151 I dont know why but Im thinking of Rum right now.;)

You can get labor estimates using http://www.automd.com/repaircost/ for most common repairs. The thermostat housing isn't listed, but just the thermostat shows 1.25 hours book time. I suspect there is at least another book hour for the housing. You know they don't bill concurrent. ;)

man ,i know i will end up with a explorer sport with this engine one day .but for now when i see things like this i am happy to have my simple ohv engine .

good luck .

thanks romeoville for that link ,its a keeper.

$850 $500 ? disgusting, I see why people hate mechanics.
I fix all my stuff myself and repair cars "on the side", the only things I cant do are tires and alignments. I would probably charge $50 for this swap and feel a little bad about it, but $50 is almost a minimum for anything taking about an hour for me nowemdays.

Hello, thanks again to everyone on this forum for your helps. This time it was my thermostat housing. 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4L SOHC. The plastic heater hose nipple broke off and blew coolant all about. Fortunately I was on a side street and could pull over and get the engine shut off quickly so I dont think there was any deep engine damage. (the oil on the dipstick looked and smelled fine) I took one look at how deeply buried the part was under the throttle body, hoses and wires, and called my last resort mechanic. Fortunately he was booked solid for at least a week before he could even look and give me an estimate so I dug in on these forums and discovered that it was indeed possible. I have a buddy Myron who is a very good shade tree mechanic and has mentored me on many repairs on this olde rig, and he encouraged me to proceed. I did not have to take off the intake manifold (which was good because last year I paid a ton to have it tested and sealed so I didnt want to disturb that too much!) . I did have to remove throttle body, and the alternator and bracket so I could access the lower bypass hose. My local AutoZone quote $133 for the replacement part. I bought the Four Seasons $19 unit from Rock Auto. Some forums discouraged that unit but I am glad I didnt see those comments until after I ordered. It was the entire lower and upper housing, with thermostat, and both sensors, and a perfect exact replacement. I assume the plastic may not last as long as OEM, but I expect to be replacing this rig this year anyway so I was OK with that (AND I am becoming a huge fan of Rock Auto. A few weeks ago I bought a serpentine belt from them, and it arrived in half the time they predicted. Same with this housing. Ordered Friday afternoon, no special shipping, arrived Monday morning! )
I read on this forum about vacuuming out the engine coolant port and water pump and so glad I did. The sucked-out coolant was chock full of plastic shards from the disintegrated housing nipples. That would have been a mess had I left it all in. (I assume I missed some, but I was pretty thorough. I kept sucking and checking the fluid until it came out clean) I was pretty worried about my ability to get everything back together correctly. This is one of the most complex repairs I have attempted solo but I took good notes, watched several youtube videos, labeled all the wires, etc, and it all went back in pretty easily. no leftover parts! Refilled with fresh coolant, fired up and all good. thanks again so much to you all.

^ Good job, shop labor rates on the 4.0L SOHC lower t-stat housing R&R tends to be expensive. Regarding Dorman, Four Seasons, or Gates aftermarket housings, hope you have better luck than most, and the $19 spent "should" buy you one more year before selling the vehicle. IMO, these aftermarket replacements should have the acronym "NFL" (not-for-long). Kidding aside, and for other readers needing to do this repair in the future, the relatively new aftermarket two sensor aluminum housing kit from Austekk has been getting great feedback from buyers, and should be considered for the bargain price of $60.

01-11 Explorer, Mountaineer, B4000 4.0L Aluminum/Metal Thermostat Housing Kit | eBay

The Four Seasons housing I installed a couple yrs ago lasted all of 2 wks. The Motorcraft housing (lower RH144) I used to replace it sprung a leak two yrs after replacing the Four Seasons. Not knowing about this aluminum housing, I reordered another RH144. Haven't delved into this project yet as I'm waiting for some warmer weather to arrive. Just might consider scrapping the new RH144 and trying this aluminum housing. However, in my '98, I'd need to swap my existing upper housing to obtain the proper angle of the hose nipple.

Back