Completed Project - jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project jamest's "RE-SAS"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,802

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can kinda see here- the lower part of the A is angled in and forward for clearance of glovebox door, controls on drivers side, and to give a good tie in spot for the underneath plates that will tie it in to the frame.

Attachments

• sas25.jpg
    sas25.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 908

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

At least its coming along! I didn't know you bent the hoops with a kinker!! They came out fawesome.

You off your vacation yet??

wow wow wow I love two doors Kinker work looks great!
I am ordering my JD3 :)

I got a plasma for x mas :)
have chop saw and drill press, jusst need the bender
my 88 dash should be super simple to get behind LOL

Thanks, yea today was first day back at work. Im on the couch now in pain lol. :D

Ill do a HF kinker how-to thread sometime this week. I have seen pics of an 180 degree bend out there and i think i got the technique down. The thing actually works like a friggin champ once you do a few mods.

All of the cage is 1.9", 1.66", 1.33" .140wall HREW. ;)

No new pics, but the front half is done and painted.

Did you know that the wiring harness that runs in front of the rear seat has 27 wires in it? Do you know how long it takes to splice 25 of them back together when you cut through it right at the driver's side wall? :mad: Oh well, its done and now im crippled.

Did you know that the wiring harness that runs in front of the rear seat has 27 wires in it? Do you know how long it takes to splice 25 of them back together when you cut through it right at the driver's side wall? :mad:

Pics? :p: The 2 door is looking good!

Holy crap love the cage! That's some good fab work there.

jamest = my hero

jamest = my hero
Your standards = teh suck

:p: :D

Ill try to get some updated pics this weekend- the front half of the cage is painted and i plan to get started on the back half.

updates

Cage is done, other than the rear shockmounts that will go through the inner fenders. Paint is all brush-on rustoleum silver hammertone. I forgot how nice it is to have an older 4x4 that is ugly... drip some paint who cares... get some on the interior DGAF. :p:

Hang with me as my camera got dropped a while back and is jacked up.

Attachments

• sas26.jpg
    sas26.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 771
  • sas28.jpg
    sas28.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 778

As you can tell from this pic, the top "X" or whatever you want to call it has a gap in between tubes... its basically a missed node. This is on purpose, as it will eventually get plate gussets in there. Also ill be building a bolt in X on the b-pillar that will come out for daily use.

Also, i know the bent doorbars arent very strong without support... however that was needed to keep the thing usable for daily driving and be able to flip the front seat forward for rear entry. Its really been a PITA full of compromises.

Attachments

• sas27.jpg
    sas27.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 766

Wow well that was quick -- looks fantastic!

pimpin.. trade me trucks :D

Nice job James. When are you bringing it to Texas to go wheeling? Shiloh Ridge???

Dunno... plan is to hit Gilmer this weekend after that whenever ya want just holler. :)

Yea, my first thought was to go through the dash, which would have looked alot better- I still dont like the looks of the Apillar but i can live with it. But, i couldnt figure out how to do it and keep the A/C, heat, etc. I then thought about a custom dash like yours, but besides being my wheeling rig its also my DD when im not on the bike and my wife and i use it for camping trips.

If it werent for all of that, i would have just cut the roof off and had a Dannyboy style dash. :D

and- the rear shock mounts are gonna look pretty pimp (in my mind anyway). I want to have them done before this weekend but its going to be cutting it close.

Dunno... plan is to hit Gilmer this weekend after that whenever ya want just holler. :)
Are you wheeling it at Gilmer this weekend? I don't think its in my budget to go to Gilmer. But, maybe in a few weeks a trip to Shiloh Ridge could happen.

Yea ill be there this weekend.

Budget LOL- im going on change found in the couch cushions. We arent registering and it will be Vienna sausages and Milwakee's Beast Lite back at camp. Im broke but i gotta do a shakedown run on this thing since ive redone the suspension... i want to get the bugs worked out before i start pounding on it at Hot Springs and Clayton.

Maybe...maybe with removal of the windshield you could squeeze something in there with the bar running across the top of the dash. I have more pics collected but I know it's said and done. If i could do it all over again I would shoot for this look but it probably would have cost about the same.

SV100408.jpg

Back