Completed Project - jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project jamest's "RE-SAS"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,785

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because it has to be in N to control one swith. :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

just go to a manual tcase then there wouldn't be any problems shifting.

Driver's side inner done, i did not bother taking alot of time on the inner fenders because these are getting covered up with some fiberglass, then covered over with a custom panel once the cage is in.

Stretched 8", more to come-

Attachments

• sas18.jpg
    sas18.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,089

Got any pictures from the outside?

Ill get some today. You mean a sideshot of the truck itself or outside of the inner fenderwell?

The exterior view. How big is your new opening in the fender?

Well, it doesnt come down all the way so there really isnt a good way to measure it... all four are 9.5" from the top of the tread to the center of the opening.

I think it will look alot better once the inner fenders are finished and covered with undercoating.

Crappy pics- unlevel ground so it isnt sitting even but you get the idea

Attachments

• sas19.jpg
    sas19.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 4,079
  • sas20.jpg
    sas20.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2,561

Super sexy! Come do mine.

Im off 2 weeks for christmas no pay, gimmie gas money and ill come out there and we'll do your fenders and my cage all in one session. :D:p:

Can you come do me? Errrr. Do mine :) hehe

Get your arse out for some beer and a visit. I wont pay gas, but I will buy beer. I am off the week of Christmas.

Can you come do me? Errrr. Do mine :) hehe

Get your arse out for some beer and a visit. I wont pay gas, but I will buy beer. I am off the week of Christmas.
Holler, we'll plan a weekend. Ill hop on the bike an be there in a jiff. :)

The day of reckoning is at hand.

Attachments

• sas21.jpg
    sas21.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 982

Awwww look at the cute little Mudstain, with the piggy plate :p:

Jeff - :navajo:

B and C pillar are done. They fit tight as hell... up againts the headliner and both side panels. Now im off to yank the dash and dome light, and drink more beer. :p:

pic doesnt really show but C is bent to lean forward-

Attachments

• sas22.jpg
    sas22.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 933

You make it look easy!

It aint lol, **** going through the dash its going in front of it.

After looking, and looking, and more looking the only thing i can figure is those of you with A pillars through the dash have no heat, no A/C, and run a carb. :p: Either that, or you've got some kind of talent that i dont have.

Anyhoo, ill get better pics tomorrow. The A pillar is NOT AT ALL how i wanted to do it, but itll work.

Looks like a good start on the tube work:thumbsup:
I hope to start my cage pretty soon and i'm determined to go through the dash instead of in front of it. I've already done some preliminary work to see how it will look and going through the vents is the way to go it seems. A little notching of the dash and dimmer switch relocation will give me a straight shot down to the floor.
I know the 1st gens are a bit different, my Ranger has the same dash as the 2nd gen Ex's so it might be a bit easier to do this...I dunno. Good luck with the cage, looking forward to see the finished product.

After looking, and looking, and more looking the only thing i can figure is those of you with A pillars through the dash have no heat, no A/C, and run a carb. :p: Either that, or you've got some kind of talent that i dont have.

This was just ONE of the reasons I was calling yesterday, aside from a few other reasons.

I'll call you again later in the week, I have to meetings today and tomorrow, that are going to keep me tied up.

Jeff - :navajo:

Sorry for the lack of updates... you know how it goes- holidays, family, food, drink, hunting, NOT talking to Jeff... :D:p:

Anyhow, A and B are done with exception of door bars. I cut an "L" shaped slit in the floor and bent it down to lower cage down to get to the top welds... um FYI there is a wiring loom on the floor under the drivers rear seat thats really soft and easy to cut lol. Now my passenger window wont go up, no turn signals, and who knows what else. :eek:

I am not happy with the way i did the A pillar. Not from a strength standpoint, but from a looks standpoint. I needed a whole bunch of out of plane bends in it that were impossible for the HF kinker i was using. This is the best i could do.

I also suffer from POS camera syndrome... the welds look god aweful in pics and some pics the cage looks crooked (???) It looks good in real life and everything is level.

Attachments

• sas23.jpg
    sas23.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 879
  • sas24.jpg
    sas24.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 903

Back