Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice job, how did you fab those coil buckets. Ive been trying to figure it out from the few photos but im just not getting it. Im hoping the miller bros can help me as much as you, im waiting for my uncle to let me borrow his miller dynasty 300 tig, he just upgraded to one of those crazy multi-process machines so hopefully ill be able to keep it for awhile.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nice job, how did you fab those coil buckets. Ive been trying to figure it out from the few photos but im just not getting it. Im hoping the miller bros can help me as much as you, im waiting for my uncle to let me borrow his miller dynasty 300 tig, he just upgraded to one of those crazy multi-process machines so hopefully ill be able to keep it for awhile.

I just took a piece of 1/4" plate cut circle with my plasma cut off all those little tab things on the coil bucket. Ground it down smooth. Then set the plate on there level. Welded it on. Then took a 8 inch piece of tube and tack welded it in the middle to keep the spring from moving around like Jeep does. Pretty simple. I will finish weld the tube once I test fit everything.

gotcha thanks,was pretty simple i just wasn't sure if there were some steps in between the photos that i missed. so are you going to keep those tubes inside the bucket, or put a set of bump-stops in there. keep up the great work i cant wait to see this finished.

gotcha thanks,was pretty simple i just wasn't sure if there were some steps in between the photos that i missed. so are you going to keep those tubes inside the bucket, or put a set of bump-stops in there. keep up the great work i cant wait to see this finished.

Tubes stay a smaller tube will go inside the larger tube to make a bump stop. If I ever need to change it I can cut right above the weld and put a new tube inside to change the bump stop. Pretty simple you will see soon.

Awesome. im really looking forward to see this come together.

......And now the fun part of grinding forever & ever........ack!

1st gen steering gearbox coupled with a semi-hydro steering ram, makes the steering a breeze. Bronco2guy has that set up with his 302 and ran 37's. One finger steering has to be a dream come true when wheeling. :)

I do hope we get to see your rig when we all go to Ouray (CCR) for our annual Fall run.

Looks great, and am really looking forward to seeing it finished.

yea the plasma cutter has to make that a whole hell of a lot easier, I couldn't imagine doing it with a sawzall and grinder. have you put any thought into how your going to do the steering yet?

Broke out the big grinder...
CIMG0571.jpg

It is almost like Ford thought lets make the frame narrow enough to swap Jeep axles under...
CIMG0572.jpg

CIMG0573.jpg

CIMG0574.jpg

And I got some new super jack stands to make it easier for my big @ss to get under there.

......And now the fun part of grinding forever & ever........ack!

1st gen steering gearbox coupled with a semi-hydro steering ram, makes the steering a breeze. Bronco2guy has that set up with his 302 and ran 37's. One finger steering has to be a dream come true when wheeling. :)

I do hope we get to see your rig when we all go to Ouray (CCR) for our annual Fall run.

Looks great, and am really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Yeah the hour of grinding sucked getting it out of my ears was worst part. LOL
What do you guys run out in Ouray?

I will have to check out his steering. I have 1st gen box from a 92 Ranger I parted out last year so I am good to go there. At time I didn't know why I needed to keep it but I did anyway. I even kept the steering shaft. I am getting excited now seeing the axle under the truck.

yea the plasma cutter has to make that a whole hell of a lot easier, I couldn't imagine doing it with a sawzall and grinder. have you put any thought into how your going to do the steering yet?

Going to use 1st gen steering box. You will see soon. I masterminded the steering on that Liberty this will be cake compared to what I pulled off there.
I hope to be wheeling this thing next month.

LOL, those HF 12 ton stands are a must! Moving right along too, nice.

We run everything from stock to rock on the trails. We trail ride for 3-4 days, so we get in at least 6-8 good trails. If we have a group of rigs that can tackle the harder stuff, we will split into a separate group and run a day of trails like that. We have stayed in other places for base camp, like Silverton, or Leadville, for example. Black Bear & Imogene are a must for every year.

Search CCR (Colorado Colors Run) in the off road planning sub forum.

LOL, those HF 12 ton stands are a must! Moving right along too, nice.

We run everything from stock to rock on the trails. We trail ride for 3-4 days, so we get in at least 6-8 good trails. If we have a group of rigs that can tackle the harder stuff, we will split into a separate group and run a day of trails like that. We have stayed in other places for base camp, like Silverton, or Leadville, for example. Black Bear & Imogene are a must for every year.

Search CCR (Colorado Colors Run) in the off road planning sub forum.

I don't do shelf roads so I would skip those runs Black Bear is not me. I am from Iowa and when I moved here we did Websters pass in 4 inches of snow it ruined them for me. My wife was scared to death. I was flipping out, tire was 8 inches from edge 300 foot fall and road was off chamber leaning towards the edge. I never prayed so hard in my whole life. :p:

I don't do shelf roads so I would skip those runs Black Bear is not me. I am from Iowa and when I moved here we did Websters pass in 4 inches of snow it ruined them for me. My wife was scared to death. I was flipping out, tire was 8 inches from edge 300 foot fall and road was off chamber leaning towards the edge. I never prayed so hard in my whole life. :p:

HAHA...They make you feel alive though! :D

We all hang out at base camp, go to town for dinner together, etc... It is a great chance to meet the others on the forum and bring something tangible to all this electronic communications. I have been lucky to meet so many of the members here because of these meets, and feel honored.

Your making great time with your SAS, and it seems you have the skills to pull it off. Every SAS is exciting for me to witness. Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Got the lowers ready...

2" .250 DOM been sitting beside my garage for awhile got a little rust going. LOL
CIMG0577.jpg

Didn't get as much as I wanted done today. Only spent a hour on it today. My Bday hung out with family.
Took next 3 days off. So hopefully by Wed I will be able to roll it around. Thurs I have 93 Ranger to regear so I need the garage back by then.

Did you not clean up that tubing before welding to it?

I cleaned the ends I where I welded. I will wire brush them before I paint them. It is just surface rust not much of anything. Rust is a natural reaction to oxygen it is metals way of protecting it's self. Rust will actually give you better weld(not prettier) since it helps keep oxygen out of the weld. That is what the welding teacher told me but I still grind the crap off before I weld.

I cleaned the ends I where I welded. I will wire brush them before I paint them. It is just surface rust not much of anything. Rust is a natural reaction to oxygen it is metals way of protecting it's self. Rust will actually give you better weld(not prettier) since it helps keep oxygen out of the weld. That is what the welding teacher told me but I still grind the crap off before I weld.

hmm, im taking a welding course right now, pretty much doing stuff i already know right now. Ill ask if its true about the rust making a better weld, it makes sense but i feel like most people would laugh if they heard that. Besides that looks great so far. Are you going to run chromo shafts or stick with the stock ones til they break.

Back