Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks incredible, you work fast as hell im very impressed. so what little odds and ends are left. and are you going to keep those coils the way they are they look pretty bowed in the pics.

Before you get concerned about the coils don't forget there is no track bar meaning there is nothing from keep the body and axle in line with each other(side to side). So I can push the hood the body will move 6 inches bowing the crap out of those coils. That is why they look like that right now. Until I get a track bar set up in there coils will be all jacked up. I also have to make a isolator for the top of the coil for the bucket. And a few more mods to the buckets. You will see soon. Also I got these coils used from a guy and I am starting wonder if there is reason he wanted to trade me my old Rubicon Express coils for these. But I won't be able to tell until the TB is done.

Thanks I had this all planed out in my head so just have apply my ideas. I am very familiar with this axle and suspension cause all the Jeeps I work so it was very simple for me to copy.

Tomorrow the oil filter relocation kit will be here. Once I have that all installed then I can move forward on the steering box which I pretty much have all designed already. Just being safe. Figured it would only be a few more days. Tomorrow is one month from the day I bought this thing. Should be able to test drive it in another week. Work out the bugs and get ready for the Moab trip end of March can't wait. :D

yea i wasnt really concerned i didn't expect you to keep the coils like that at all, i didn't realize you havent put in the track bar yet which should help a good amount.

Some spacers behind the towers would push them outwards. I think that's how Stic-o did that with his full width axle, and looks great.

the spacers may help to straighten them out, but seeing that there was a concern that the coils may be too tall, which they dont seem to be now that it looks even , it may jack the front of the truck up a tad bit high, as well as making for an even stiffer ride.

Got some more parts today. Worked out a deal on some New 35 inch MTR Kevlars for 700 buck mounted balanced. Should be here in couple weeks.

Waiting on one more part for oil filter relocation kit.
CIMG0609.jpg

CIMG0608.jpg

What are they getting for those nowadays? I need to pick up two for the Super Dooty tomorrow.

What are they getting for those nowadays? I need to pick up two for the Super Dooty tomorrow.

I get them at Sams Club. They are $139. Which is a lot cheaper then the parts store. I don't know maybe the parts store will price match. I have one in the Merc now but it is 4 years old and has a hard life. I am going to take one that is weak and make it a winch battery for my flatbed trailer. Sams also sells the Yellow and Blue top ones. If I double up the Merc I will throw a Yellow top in there.

I have some isolators and spacers from Jeeps I have parted out. I can't slow down I am too excited. LOL ;)

This is what I did this morning. Paying $280 a ton I walked away with $400 bucks from one pickup load.

CIMG0613.jpg

Wowzers!

How long did it take you to acquire all that scrap?

Digging the Detroit too :)

Scrap took about 3-4 mos to pile up. High as scrap prices are right now I might try scrapping off and on next few weeks. Last time I went I got $160 a ton.

Yeah I can't wait on the Detroit should help in Moab.

I have to finish building a TJ 8.8 this morning and then it is Merc steering time. LOL
My oldest son is almost 11 he is so excited he put new floor mats in it last night. He climbs inside the back seat and imagines we are wheeling. :D
I told him when he turns 16 there is good chance that he can have the Merc.

Steering shaft. Have to make a slight adjustment to the box to clear one of the spark plug wires, that or see if I can find different plug wires.

Took Ranger steering box end and sleeved the Ranger shaft then ground down the Mountaineer shaft until it fit in the tube. Wanted make sure it was strong. Worked like a champ. The last part for oil filter relocation kit should be here tomorrow. I am going to make some adjustments to battery location and put the filters next to it.
CIMG0621.jpg

CIMG0619.jpg

CIMG0620.jpg

Well the thing about teens and their first cars is bad but if you start teaching him now maybe he wont wreck this masterpiece

True he is pretty cautious already. The youngest is the daredevil he will get a 4 cyl or something gutless. LOL

Also I was able to get the steering wheel and box to line up perfect on center. I need to find a Astro Van pitman arm. They are flat which will be perfect for this build. I hate to put GM parts on my Ford but I don't know of a Ford one that is flat. LOL

Finally got the 90° block adapter today now I can move forward on the steering box. I have to install a ARB in the morning for a guy then I should be able work on the Merc some more and get this kit put in.

CIMG0623.jpg

I have pitman arm just pulled of my 2wd 97 Ranger and it is flat, I can send it to you if you want.

I have pitman arm just pulled of my 2wd 97 Ranger and it is flat, I can send it to you if you want.

Cool man I am going to JY this afternoon if I can't get one there I will take you up on it. Thanks

Hope to be driving this later this week.

We have two UPAP JY 30 mins from my house. One in Aurora and one in Denver. It is like Ford heaven they rotate cars through there fast.
http://www.upullandpay.com/Locations/aurora/Search.aspx

Back