Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just let me know I think i threw it in my trash can in my garage but I can pull it out and send it tommorow if you need it, just PM me

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No prob, i may pull it outta trash anyway for future LOL

You will need a stock filter adapter from older F150 mine came off inline 6. V8 one should work fine too. Car one should work fine as long as it used FL-300 / FL-1A or PH16 / PH8.
This is what is looks like. As you can see there is no place to put wrench on it. So I used channel locks. Which buggered it up.
filteradaptor_002.jpg

I've been watching and now I'm out of my league, what exactly does the additional oil filter get you...(please don't just whitily say cleaner oil)

I've been watching and now I'm out of my league, what exactly does the additional oil filter get you...(please don't just whitily say cleaner oil)

LOL just flows better since they are in line if one gets clogged then other can get the job done. It is really a kick @ss design and can save your engine. My old F250 had dual filters on it. Gives you better oil pressure too. I figured if I was going to the trouble of installing a remote filter I may as well have two.

I used two PH16 filters. But after I get the thing mounted if I have room I will go to two PH8 filter. That way the system will hold more oil and keep the oil cooler.

dude sweet ride i cant wait till its finished..im doin something similar but d44 maybe a 60 up front..im reagearing the rear to 4:88s maybe 5:13s and just adding a leaf n shackles to clear 33s maybe 35s. im looking into he james duff bronco kit though it looks like it will work with my 95 ex??

dude sweet ride i cant wait till its finished..im doin something similar but d44 maybe a 60 up front..im reagearing the rear to 4:88s maybe 5:13s and just adding a leaf n shackles to clear 33s maybe 35s. im looking into he james duff bronco kit though it looks like it will work with my 95 ex??

I am sure you can make the duff kit work. I had a 93 Ranger I got on trade last year had James Duff Radius Arms. It was pretty sweet truck. I got the truck for 30 bucks. I had put a rear axle in it. I built a Explorer 8.8 disc brakes 5.13 gears. It was missing the Tcase. And I had to find tires. Truck was awesome. 2.3 4 banger so it wasn't a speed demon. LOL

CIMG0087-1.jpg

those the duff arms on the ranger? looks like a good height..now quik question though...what are the recommended arm length cause the extended arms are $$$ but they look like the ight size..i just dont want to bolt n weld them in place if ima hit the cross memeber or any other obstacles..also how is the 3 link up front i seen james duff made one and i might wanna try it out if it will work with custom installation.

those the duff arms on the ranger? looks like a good height..now quik question though...what are the recommended arm length cause the extended arms are $$$ but they look like the ight size..i just dont want to bolt n weld them in place if ima hit the cross memeber or any other obstacles..also how is the 3 link up front i seen james duff made one and i might wanna try it out if it will work with custom installation.

Yes those are Duff arms on the Ranger. Ranger has a 6 inch lift, 3 inch body, and 35s in the pic. I don't know any thing about Duffs 3 link. But I am sure it flexes well. If you get the longer radius arms the ride will be better. Shorter arms don't soak up rough terrain like long arms do.

Mercenstein is almost ready to roll...

My creation lives.. Buwhahahahahahahaha.....
CIMG0650.jpg

CIMG0642.jpg

Two weeks and a day SAS not bad. If the oil filter wouldn't have slowed me down I would have been done last weekend.

Back